Anti- kidney beans?

Options
I am making chili tonight,first time making it "healthier" and have been noticing that most of the "healthy" recipes I find are made with white beans, black, and even chick peas? Now, I do not have black beans in the house, but the other 3 are about the same nutrition. So, is there some reason everyone seems to not be using kidney beans, or is it just personal preference?

Replies

• LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I use kidney beans in my chili and they work just fine. Any beans that are stored in water rather than oil (or even better if you make them yourself) should be great.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Kidney beans are more "gas producing" than a lot of other beans. I like to use Romano or Pinto beans for that reason. It's personal preference more than nutrition.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    There is no reason that you can't use kidney beans if you prefer them. They are just as healthy as other beans, and super yummy! They are one of my favorites, so they frequently go in recipes that call for other beans! I think maybe it is just personal preference.
  • ritasice21
    ritasice21 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers, I think I may use mixed.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There is no reason not to use kidneys other than personal preference.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I am anti- ALL beans.

And chili is not chili with beans in it. True chili has no beans. Just saying.
  • ritasice21
    Options
    Chili without beans sounds like a meat sauce to me, just saying!
  • bcattoes
    Options

I agree!!
  • MetilHed
    MetilHed Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am anti- ALL beans.

And chili is not chili with beans in it. True chili has no beans. Just saying.

^^This^^

ETA: When I used to think Chili just HAD to have beans, I used (canned) Goya pink beans. Smaller so you don't feel like you got a mouthful of beans in every bite : )
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Because people from Delaware know what is and what isn't chili.

Chili has no beans in it.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I HATE kidney beans with a passion and whoever thought that they belonged in chili should be shot.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I HATE kidney beans with a passion and whoever thought that they belonged in chili should be shot.

Easy there, tiger
  • bcattoes
    Options

Sounds like a reasonable defense for shooting someone to me. I'm sure any jury would agree.
  • ritasice21
    Options
    wow, some peep take beans WAY to seriously! And BTW, just cause I live in DE does not mean I am from Delaware, Dover is an air force town!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    wow, some peep take beans WAY to seriously! And BTW, just cause I live in DE does not mean I am from Delaware, Dover is an air force town!

Not beans. Chili.

Chili is very serious business.
  • sweetpeaz12345
    sweetpeaz12345 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    YUM! I love kidney beans. Chilli isn't chilli without kidney beans lol
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I really like the dark red kidney beans. When I make chili (with beans) I use black and red kidney.

Chili with or without beans is a preference. A quick google search will show you that the bean/no bean "controversy" is simply a matter of taste, with its roots dating back to early 20th century. It is possible beans were used in place of meat during the hard times. Wiki (ugh) and other sites all same basically the same thing.

So "real" chili is the chili that you like, whether with beans or without.
  • boxkat
    boxkat Posts: 32
    Options
    I know I'm a bit late to chime in, but kidney beans are good for you! :) Chili is really versatile. I normally just throw in whatever I feel like or have kicking around the pantry.