Pushing it.. or... enjoying it?

Options
Well, I've recently got back to working out, with DVD's. This time I'm going to do that properly with programs and MFP. :-)

I've realized that I need to focus on one program in order to see improvements which will make me want to go on. But the thing is, in order to do that, you sometimes need to do exercises which you don't like and "push yourself".

I guess my question is.. Do you prefer to push it or rather taking it easier and cutting some slack? I'm asking because I constantly contemplate about getting faster results or enjoying the exercises...

Replies

• ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    It can take a while, but if it's an exercise you enjoy, you will find you start to enjoy "pushing it".

For instance, I love running. I have dreams about it. I get itchy feet on rest days. But I have never liked running intervals. I got a training partner, and we goad each other on to do intervals once a week (it really helps overall distance pace, so it's a natural part of most training regimens). After 6 months, I started to loathe it less. I won't say I enjoy running intervals now, but I no longer ever look for excuses to skip it or take it easy and enjoy a nice even paced run instead. And sometimes I feel like doing it twice a week. It's not my favorite, but I have learned to appreciate both how it feels and the results it gets me.

That being said, if you hate aerobics and are trying to force yourself to do aerobics, you might have a really hard time getting to the point that you like pushing yourself, if you ever get there.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    comfortzone_zps07c9eaaf.jpg
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    You have to continue to disrupt homeostasis.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    You have to continue to disrupt homeostasis.

Eh?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    1352307775.jpg
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I would say generally exercise is supposed to be about pushing it. And you don't need to follow any program. Make you own out of different workouts. I never do the same thing week after week. I find different circuit workouts and those possiblities are endless. I make up my own versions by just putting together exercises and deciding on reps for time or timed ones for however many reps you can get it. Add weights, do bodyweight, do cardio. Mix it up and that's how i have fun no matter how much i may hate it during i love it after. Having said that i did a killer workout on Monday and am still in way lots of pain from my sore muscles. Still love it though.
  • myfitnesslife75
    myfitnesslife75 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If you never push yourself, you're never going to see any changes.

I'm currently doing Jillian's 30DS and I'm on level 2, which I think is nasty compared to easy breezy level 1. Sure, I've been tempted to change things up and go on to level 3, but in my mind, I think I would only be cheating myself by not finishing level 2 for the 10 days as expected. There are quite a few moves that I struggle with but I force myself to push through it. Only have 2 days left of level 2 so I KNOW I can do it and I will feel so much better for myself, knowing that I accomplished something fully, even though it was tough and even tedious. I'm also looking forward to the full results and not just the slacker results! LOL
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options

A copy of this is now hanging in my office, and will be put on the fridge at home. Thank you!!
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Find exercise that you enjoy that pushes you seems like the solution to me :)
  • holeshottdr
    holeshottdr Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Push it untill you can no longer push it any further, then push a little harder. That's where you want to be.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Well, I've recently got back to working out, with DVD's. This time I'm going to do that properly with programs and MFP. :-)

I've realized that I need to focus on one program in order to see improvements which will make me want to go on. But the thing is, in order to do that, you sometimes need to do exercises which you don't like and "push yourself".

I guess my question is.. Do you prefer to push it or rather taking it easier and cutting some slack? I'm asking because I constantly contemplate about getting faster results or enjoying the exercises...
    why do the 2 need to be exclusive?

i enjoy pushing myself. i'm always either just at my comfort level (which i consider rest breaks) or above my comfort level when i workout
  • leslie0422
    leslie0422 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I actually enjoy pushing myself when I exercise. The more sweat and burn, the more I enjoy my workout. And I love to see the huge calorie burn!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    1352307775.jpg

I am frantically googling for the men's version of this shirt so I can buy it.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I try to find a balance. I don't do workouts that I hate but I do try to "push it" while doing exercises that I enjoy more.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    While it's great to incorporate active things that I love doing into my life (like mountain biking or going for a hike), I also do plenty of exercising that I don't enjoy. I enjoy being healthy and exercise is a means to an end. If I'm in the middle of something I hate, I just tell myself "this is only XX minutes of my life, I can do anything for XX minutes." Just push through it. It'll be over before you know it and you'll be enjoying the fruits of your labor.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I do both. Sometimes I really enjoy pushing myself as hard as I can, others I like to just enjoy the exercise without all the sweat and panting and pushing. Sometimes I even enjoy the monotony of something like a treadmill or elliptical at a moderate pace. At other times those types of exercise bore me to tears. I’m just moody, I guess.

I try to push it as often as I can, but I know there are days when I would do nothing if I thought the only option was to push myself to the limit. Luckily good results do not require giving 110% in every workout.
  • BeSophisticate
    Options
    It can take a while, but if it's an exercise you enjoy, you will find you start to enjoy "pushing it".

For instance, I love running. I have dreams about it. I get itchy feet on rest days. But I have never liked running intervals. I got a training partner, and we goad each other on to do intervals once a week (it really helps overall distance pace, so it's a natural part of most training regimens). After 6 months, I started to loathe it less. I won't say I enjoy running intervals now, but I no longer ever look for excuses to skip it or take it easy and enjoy a nice even paced run instead. And sometimes I feel like doing it twice a week. It's not my favorite, but I have learned to appreciate both how it feels and the results it gets me.

That being said, if you hate aerobics and are trying to force yourself to do aerobics, you might have a really hard time getting to the point that you like pushing yourself, if you ever get there.

I love this answer.

Everybody has to start somewhere and I believe it's very important to start with what you love (or at least start with what you enjoy on some level). Once you've established a baseline, so to speak, then it's time to tackle the yucky parts. Even after you've started on the yucky stuff, it's not something you have to do every day. Life's too short.
  • spetermann190
    spetermann190 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Push it untill you can no longer push it any further, then push a little harder. That's where you want to be.

Why Not Do Both?? Enjoy the consistent improvement and competing against yourself.

For ME Holeshot said it well ... but I'd go Even Further ... you can always surprise yourself when you THINK you're at your limit .... cliche but No Pain No Gain is 100% TRUE (not pain from physical injury ... be smart)

Today my trainer was TRYING to push me ... I am so competitive I finished the lifts with One Leg instead of two ... he Tried to make it more difficult by putting his entire body weight on the machine ... I lifted him right along with the weight ... doesn't work for everyone but that competitiveness is paying off Big for me

Now I have a 24 year old trainer (pup) wanting to race me for a mile ... the competition will be good for Both of us ... I going to get stronger/faster AND HE's going to learn some humility ... lol

For most people, like most things in life, all about balance for YOU ... Good luck!
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options

oh my, this is awesome.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    1352307775.jpg

I am frantically googling for the men's version of this shirt so I can buy it.

cafepress.com has similar ones but i like this black one a lot.