Catering Biz

Options
I just joined this site yesterday and I'm pretty pumped about it. I've been looking for support everywhere and haven't really been able to get what I need.

I'm hoping this site is the answer.

Now... Here is my biggest issue: I work as an Event Coordinator for a rather large catering outfit in Indianapolis. We specialize in foods that aren't really so good for you. For Example, Fried Chicken & Fried Biscuits with Apple Butter. And Fried Catfish and Breaded Perch.

Are you noticing a trend here??? Fried EVERYTHING. I don't work many of the events due to being in the office all the time. But when I do, I just can't help but dive into the Chicken. (It's really really REALLY good chicken)

I'm wondering if anybody else works in the Food and Beverage industry and suffers from the same issues that I do? (I'm sure that I'm not the only one) How do you not eat the food that you're constantly around?

Not to mention, I work with some rather large eaters who are constantly talking about food. And come lunch time when I microwave my lean cuisine they make fun of me.

Replies

• mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    I have done time in restaurants. Those Olive Garden breadsticks are hard to pass up. :-D

The best is to eat plenty before and bring a good lunch. Filling fruits and veggies. Some protein (beans, peanut butter, lean meat, etc). And if you're going to have the chicken go for white meat, no skin! ;-)
  • triggerasynapse
    Options
    I have friends who have worked in candy shops and bakeries, and they say they just get used to the smells and after their first month or so they are no longer tempted. You have to think of food differently.
    There are lots of things you can do for yourself to not over-indulge in bad foods. You can always eat a sensible meal before an event; then you just won't be hungry and if it's a long event just keep a healthy snack in your bag.
    I use the 'notes' at the bottom of the food log to write down how I feel after my meals./during the day I write very little- just a sentence or two. Whenever I eat healthy I feel better, not just right after the meal but hours later. I feel full and I have energy, my stomach doesn't ache etc. I remind myself of those positive feelings whenever I get tempted by something. It's a lot about establishing a new relationship about food.
    As far as your co-workers go, I think you have to stand up for yourself. If the comments they are making bother you, you have to say something. You can just say something simple like "it hurts my feelings when you make fun of my lunch, can you please not do that anymore?" Stay firm and do what it takes so that subject is off the table. You have every right to eat what you feel comfortable eating at lunch and as long as you don't give them attitude back for what they eat, it should blow over.
    I never tell people I am on a diet. Those words just make people react funny; like they'll go and find a piece of chocolate cake and leave it on my desk if I use the word 'diet.' I don't talk about it and if it comes up I just say I'm trying some new recipes, trying to eat more fruits and veggies and I keep it very lighthearted.
    That's not to say that you will find people who will support you and help you. Hopefully this site will help!