First day of taking up jogging and have pains in my chest.

Options
The pain is in-between my boobs (sorry only way i can think of to describe it) and it came on after jogging half a mile.

I would really like to take up jogging so my question is..

Should i slow it down a little until i am use to jogging certain distances ?

Replies

• ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    if it's not internal, like a heart attack (please don't have a heart attack!), it sounds like your sternum? I have no idea, but if I were you, I'd look up running form to make sure you're not holding some kind of hinky posture, and try a structured couch to 5k program (google it, coolrunning has a good one).

But first make sure you're not having a heart attack, please?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You should see a doctor first. It may be nothing, but ANY chest pain warrants a trip to the doctor.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Yes slow it down. It's probably just costochondritis, but best not to take chances with any pains in the chest. If it continues or worsens definitely see a doc. A 10 lead ekg test takes them just a few minutes and gives you some peace of mind.
  • Beth24793
    Beth24793 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    if it's not internal, like a heart attack (please don't have a heart attack!), it sounds like your sternum? I have no idea, but if I were you, I'd look up running form to make sure you're not holding some kind of hinky posture, and try a structured couch to 5k program (google it, coolrunning has a good one).

But first make sure you're not having a heart attack, please?

Its defiantly not a heart attack lol.. it only happens until i'm rested (i think)
  • sirromford
    sirromford Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Probably nothing to worry about but like other members probably worth seeing the doc for peace of mind.
  • CurvyJen384
    Options
    That happens when I run too (I've just started as well).

I'm not an expert by any means, but I know when I was in high school and ran track my coach would tell us in the beginning to kind of expect it and that it's our bodies way of just saying slow down and don't push anymore. I figure I get them because I'm used to pretty much no heart beat raising exercise, so my heart is in shock a little.
  • Beth24793
    Options
    This makes sense and I'm glad I'm not the only one that's experienced it. Thank-you :)
  • Beth24793
    Options

I'm not an expert by any means, but I know when I was in high school and ran track my coach would tell us in the beginning to kind of expect it and that it's our bodies way of just saying slow down and don't push anymore. I figure I get them because I'm used to pretty much no heart beat raising exercise, so my heart is in shock a little.

This makes sense and I'm glad I'm not the only one that's experienced it. Thank-you :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

OMG!!! I hope this is a joke. There is no reason to "expect" chest pain when running.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Yep, just slow down to a conversational pace. You should be able to talk to someone while you are running. If you can't, then you are running too fast. Slow down.
  • charmarbobar
    charmarbobar Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Definitely see a doctor to find out if there isn't some underlying cause. I have exercise (and cold weather) induced asthma, and when I got back into jogging I experienced chest pain until I slowed down...now that I've been building some endurance I can be out for 30 minutes and not feel it (not in my chest anyways lol). I found that using my asthma inhaler before going out also helps.
  • JenV31381
    JenV31381 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree with this post 100%. I get the same sort of things when I ran. I'm not a big runner, so when I do run, it's just over straining the chest area. I know you probably do not realize that you're even using that area much, but it's just a combo of not being used to it :) I'd just slow down or take a step back and not push yourself to much, just ease in to it.
  • Michelle_Nicole
    Michelle_Nicole Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    By all means go see a doctor and get a professional opinion as none of us on here are experts. I will say that when I was younger and tried to run in gym class or on my own I always got a sharp pain in my chest that went away after I sat down for a bit. I found that if I started out at a slow jog (I mean real slow, pretty much walking quickly) then slowly picked up speed I didnt have the pain any more. But like I said this is just me, if you are concerned go get checked out!
  • Shrelana
    Shrelana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    You should see a doctor first. It may be nothing, but ANY chest pain warrants a trip to the doctor.

This. If you rule this out, then I would maybe check your posture while running b/c it could very well be your sternum (happens to me if I try to run due to an old foot injury). But please go to the doctor to rule out heart attack!
  • SlimmingSarah2012
    Options
    Better safe than sorry...go to the Doctor and get checked out.

When I was 21 I had severe chest pains but after a year of being misdiagnosed with everything to heart burn to panic attacks they realized I had gallstones and needed to have surgery to have my gallbladder removed. When the stones would travel to the duct that would cause severe pain and the placement was just below my sternum but it was so much pain I thought it was heart related and I couldn't really pinpoint the exact location of the pain.

Better now and no issues!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Maybe your sports bra isn't supporting you enough and there's too much bouncing around going on up in that region?:blushing:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Maybe your sports bra isn't supporting you enough and there's too much bouncing around going on up in that region?:blushing:

Oh and I agree with the majority...it's always best to see a Doctor!
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    You should probably have a checkup to rule out a heart problem, but it could just be heartburn. I used to get heartburn occasionally when I ran, especially when I was heavier. Now, I routinely take a couple of Tums before I go out to run, as a preventive measure. Good luck!
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Get a checkup. Then start slow. Run 1 minute, walk 3 minutes, repeat. Check out running clinics in your area. Sometimes they're at sport-shoe stores. You need to progress to jogging, not start out jogging. If your poor old heart hasn't had any exercise for a while, you need to start really slooow and give yourself a break.

Hollycat:flowerforyou:
  • fasterandbetter
    fasterandbetter Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    you need to see a doctor before taking running seriously, it could be just chest wall muscle pain but more serious condition can also cause chest pain such as hypertrophic cardiomyopathy which causes sudden cardiac death in young athlete, or cardiac arrhythmias which can also be lethal, so my advice is to see a doctor and be cleared.