Processed to homemade....

Options
What would you make? My daughter is working on a project for girl scouts. At the next meeting she has to bring something for a pot luck dinner. Her item needs to be something homemade. She needs to find a processed food then cook it all homemade. They gave the example of mac n cheese. She needs it to feed at least 12 people. (I'm a horrible cook so needs to be something simple)

Replies

• LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Flapjacks, biscuits, cake?

If it has to be savoury then lasagne maybe?
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Lasagne would be great. I've never made it before. Something we'd have to try out before her meeting so we don't make something and it taste horrible!
  • onematchfire
    onematchfire Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Soup is easy. Allrecipes.com is a good source. Just pick something with high user ratings.
  • DMUND
    DMUND Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Soup is good and easy....pizza would be fun! Or how about dessert, homemade caramel rolls...MMMMM!!
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    This will take you to a site with instructions for homemade Hamburger Helper. So easy and so much better than the box.

http://chickensintheroad.com/cooking/homemade-hamburger-helper/
  • emilymaya16
    emilymaya16 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Mexican food is really easy, and great for larger groups of people (12 people is perfect!) Why not make a chilli or something? All you need is mince, veg, spices and kidney beans, with rice to go with it :) It can work out fairly cheap aswell!
  • Lillyeatslilies
    Options
    I posted this in another forum. Very easy, very healthy:

My favorite raw recipe will always be chocolate truffles

1/4 c raw almonds
    5-6 dried dates
    1 tbsp raw agave
    1 tbsp raw cocoa powder
    1 tbsp shredded coconut

process raw almonds and dated in a food processor. Add cocoa and agave. Will form a paste. Roll into balls and roll into coconut. I feel like they taste the best after being in the fridge for a little bit but it doesn't matter. Good either way!
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Applesauce is super easy!

Or does it have to be a "meal" type?

Also, home made jelly with home made bread??
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Lasagne would be great. I've never made it before. Something we'd have to try out before her meeting so we don't make something and it taste horrible!

I have a great lasagna recipe if you want it. :) It's nummers!!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Crockpot Mac and Cheese. There are tons of recipes out there - I even think Skinny Taste has a version.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Why not make something easy like shredded chicken tacos or bean burritos? Fish tacos would also be easy and maybe something new for some of the kids. (use a grilled mild white fish, sliced avocado and add tomato, onion, lettuce, and/or cheese)
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Fruit salad! Buy the canned "fruit cocktail" and then have real fruit salad.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Pudding! It's as easy to make homemade pudding as it is to make instant.
  • knrhardin
    Options
    homemade chicken nuggets what kid doesnt love chicken nuggets you could even bake them. this is my fav though 012/03/01/chick-fil-a-bites-with-honey-mustard-dipping-sauce/