Working out makes me... bloated???

Ok, so a couple weeks ago I posted a topic about how I had gained 10 lbs in 2 months even though I was working out 4-5 days per week and eating well. The general consensus was that because I had a major surgery 6 months ago which caused major weight loss (jaw surgery = no eating), that my body was just doing a weird rebound thing. Lo and behold, due to having a ridiculously heavy school work load, I have barely hit the gym the past two weeks - and have now lost 5 lbs. What is going on here? I mentioned in my previous post that I felt it could be water weight because 10 lbs in two months is NOT going to be all muscle gain, and my clothes were fitting tighter etc., so it would make sense that I could loose 5 lbs of said water weight in two weeks. My question is, why would working out be causing my body to retain water so much? I do a mix of cardio and strength training, and I vary my workouts consistently. I drink plenty of water both during exercise and throughout the day. What am I doing wrong here?

Replies

• kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    When you have sore muscles, they hold onto water. It's part of the healing process. The end result is worth putting up with the temporary discomfort. Maybe start working out at more of a beginner level so that building muscles will be a much more gradual process.
  • moreORless50
    moreORless50 Posts: 261 Member
    from things i have read i do beleive your body retains water to protect the muscles, i no idea how long this will go on for
    sorry i cant be of any more help i only know about what i read on MFP