Who's watching sugar?

Options
Hiya,

I just added sugar to my list of nutritional stuff that I'm watching and think I'm gonna go WAY over. It recommends 35/day, but the smoothie I just made had 37 (about 12 each in the milk, yogurt and frozen berries).

Is 35 a realistic number for daily sugar intake or did MFP set that way too low for some reason?

Thanks!

Replies

• katrinesorokin
    Options
    I wonder the same thing about MFP because according to them I ALWAYS go at least 10 grams of sugar over a day but it's without eating any actual sweets! Plain yogurt and fruit in the morning always pushes me over and if I have a grapefruit somewhere during the day, forget about it!
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    As long as the majority of your sugar is coming from natural sources, don't worry about it.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I am alwys WAY over on sugar, but it is because I eat a lot of fruit. I don't worry about it, since it comes from natural sources. I am still losing weight steadily, and my blood work is fabulous. I spoke to my doctor about it during my last physical, and he said not to worry about it. If the sugar is coming from cookies, or candy, or processed stuff with added sugar, then I would worry about it.
  • TaniaCorric
    TaniaCorric Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i just worry about added sugar not sugar from fruit, veg or dairy.
    If u wanted to stay to MFP macros u would have to eat only chicken.
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Ummmm.... why not just avoid it altogether? Except for the fructose actually found in fruit.

Your next shake could be: greek-style plain yogurt, water, frozen berries, vanilla protein powder sweetened with stevia.

Hollycat:flowerforyou:
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    As long as the majority of your sugar is coming from natural sources, don't worry about it.

Totally agree.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I watch sugar go in my mouth. :laugh:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I used to, but then I realized I really didn't need to. Unless you have a medical reason for watching it you should be fine. The body breaks it down all the same. Now I'm not saying eat ALL the sugar, but I stopped worrying about it and it hasn't had an adverse effect on my goals.

I typically consume between 100 - 130 g a day. (Bring on the hate)