shakes?

Options
I know protein shakes are great for helping reach protein goals daily. My question is, what kind is best? The only shake I've ever used was Shakeology, but that's expensive. I'm wonder what cheaper brand is just as good and good for you and have the proper nutrients without the extra stuff you don't need.

Replies

• jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, a few of the better tasting types are Dymatize protein, Optimum Nutrition, and Muscle Milk. You can usually order smaller serving sizes (i.e., 10 servings) online at websites such as bodybuilding.com or dpsnutrition.com to see which ones you like better. Me personally, anything with chocolate is usually good. I'm not a big fan of the fruity flavors like strawberry, etc.

*Edit* I think that Dymatize or Optimum Nutrition may be the best bang for your buck when you order the larger sizes.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I use "Prescision - Double Chocolate Chunk" it tastes great but it is not 'cheap' unfortunately I have not found anything cheap to be at all yummy. I was using the "GNC" brand Chocolate flavor, but they peeved me off last time I was there so I will not be going back to them and the taste was gross anyway so no big loss imho.
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Look for a protein powder sweetened with Stevia, rather than sucralose.

Hollycat:flowerforyou:
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    My absolute favorite is ABB pure pro 50. The calories vary by flavor, but I get the vanilla bean one and it's 50g protein and 240 calories. My new invention is "proatmeal" where you make oatmeal with a protein shake instead of water and just add some plain oats. Designer whey is also very good and it comes in a bunch of flavors. If you prefer to eat your protein, I used to get those power crunch bars and they were really good. Pure pro 50 has the highest amount of protein for the calories, so that's my go-to drink.
  • esl269
    esl269 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I use DPSNutrition's site. Not terrible, but prices have gotten rather ridiculous. They've gone up 300% since I started buying them about a year and a half ago.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I get the Body Fortress brand at WalMart.....I mix it with 1% milk,,, a banana and a couple table spoons of peanut butter when I need the extra calories and it makes about a 500 calorie shake. Oh, I use ice too. I like it like a milk shake.
    Is it the best? I don't know, but it tastes great if you mix with milk and it works for me!
    *edit* I use the vanilla. Haven't tried the chocolate
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition is the best I have found for the price ... I order from bodybuilding.com . very good prices and fast shipping.
  • dareacceptor
    dareacceptor Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of the shakes in a can, so I started making my own. I challenged myself to make one each day for a week to try out different recipes - they're much tastier! I only had one that wasn't very good (the protein powder overpowered the flavor of the shake ingredients). There is a greater variety of flavors, and I control the ingredients.

I use ProGrade protein powder, and when it comes to recipes, I find them everywhere. Some of my favorites come from this web site: http://dashingdish.com/recipe/dashing-dish-official-protein-shake/ , oh and from MFP. :smile:
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I really like the GNC Lean ones. I'm really loving the Pumpkin Spice and the Peppermint Mocha holiday flavors. I also like the Banana, Chocolate Peanut Butter, Vanilla, Strawberry, Blueberries and Cream, and Mixed Berries. I only use ice cold water to mix.
  • trtmom
    trtmom Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite is ABB pure pro 50. The calories vary by flavor, but I get the vanilla bean one and it's 50g protein and 240 calories. My new invention is "proatmeal" where you make oatmeal with a protein shake instead of water and just add some plain oats. Designer whey is also very good and it comes in a bunch of flavors. If you prefer to eat your protein, I used to get those power crunch bars and they were really good. Pure pro 50 has the highest amount of protein for the calories, so that's my go-to drink.

Is this a premade shake or powder?
  • jeskensmom
    Options
    For the past couple of weeks, I have had one EAS Carb Control shake a day for a meal replacement. They have four flavors (Rich Chocolate, Milk Chocolate, French Vanilla, and Strawberries and Cream). And they don't taste horrible. Not canned - they are in cartons. They're around $5.00 for a 4 pack at Walmart or you can buy the canister and make your own...one canister makes approx. 14 servings for about $10. I recommend buying one pack just to see how you like it. Everyone's taste is different...good luck!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I like Optimum Nutrition. I mix it was skim milk.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options

Is this a premade shake or powder?

Pre made, but they make very similar powders as well.
  • trtmom
    Options
    Thanks
  • bipsqueen
    bipsqueen Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I too use the EAS Carbadvantage shakes! They taste great and have next to no sugar or carbs and only 100 calories. You can get them at Walmart or Sam's club
  • willwillywilson
    Options
    I know protein shakes are great for helping reach protein goals daily. My question is, what kind is best? The only shake I've ever used was Shakeology, but that's expensive. I'm wonder what cheaper brand is just as good and good for you and have the proper nutrients without the extra stuff you don't need.

I like Six Star. A two pound tub seems to be around $24 generally. Wal-mart and Walgreens should have it. Chocolate is my favorite. I use coconut milk or an almond/coconut mix as a mixer so it gives them a kind of Almond Joy taste. The vanilla and strawberry are pretty good too. Body Fortress is a little cheap ($17-19) and has a pretty good chocolate too but I'm not big on the vanilla.
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Muscle Milk Chocolate tastes like a cheat-- I swear it's like a milkshake to me.

Also, if you email CytoSport and ask for coupons they will mail you some-- I got 2 free 4-packs thanks to that trick.
  • krainbird
    krainbird Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You have soooo many here to choose from. Lots of great brands. My choice is Protein Evolution by Intek.

inteknutrition.com
  • trtmom
    Options
    Muscle Milk Chocolate tastes like a cheat-- I swear it's like a milkshake to me.

Also, if you email CytoSport and ask for coupons they will mail you some-- I got 2 free 4-packs thanks to that trick.

Thanks for the tip
  • Christineab
    Christineab Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes contain many different types of protein in varying amounts.
    They may include: Whey Isolate/Whey Concentrate/Soy/Egg/Hydrolyzed Collagen

The source of the protein and how it's purified during manufacturing may affect how well your body can digest and absorb it.

Recommended:
    Whey protein isolate is:
    • A protein found in milk
    • Pure form of protein, highly absorbed, and fast-absorbing
    • May cause gas/bloating for patients with lactose intolerance

Soy protein isolate is:
    • A plant-based source of protein
    • Pure form of protein, highly absorbed and fast-absorbing
    • Recommended for patients with lactose intolerance

Egg protein is:
    • A protein found in eggs
    • Pure form of protein and highly absorbed
    • Recommended for patients with lactose intolerance

NOT Recommended:
    Whey protein concentrate (or isolate-concentrate blends) is:
    • A protein found in milk
    • May or may not be a pure form of protein
    • May or may not absorb

Hydrolyzed Collagen protein is:
    • A protein made from collagen found in bones, skin, and connective tissue of animals such as cattle, fish, horses, pigs, and rabbits
    • Is not a pure form of protein
    • Will not absorb as well as whey isolate/soy isolate/egg based powders