Strength Training Without the Gym

Options
I'm having a ton of trouble boosting my metabolism because of a heart medication I take. I want to add strength training to the cardio I already do...but I DON'T want to go to the gym. Anyone know a good resource for excercises that would be beneficial?

Replies

• scarecrow41
    Options
    Here's a VERY good strength training program that relies on nothing more than your body weight:

http://www.trainforstrength.com/exercises.shtml
  • Iffer75
    Iffer75 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Teach381, there are so many different programs that you could do that would add strength training to your workouts with just dumbbells and resistance bands that you can use at home. Please take a look at my website, just click on the shop button and then click on the Fitness Program button on the left hand side of the page. If you have any questions, you are more than welcome to ask me here or email me. I would love to help you.

http://beachbodycoach.com/jjtonic75

Have a fantastic Friday!!! :bigsmile:
  • EmilyStrick
    Options
    resistance bands work REALLY well!!! if you go to target, they have little "kits" that come with a video and a resistance band...and the nice thing is that you can take it anywhere!!!
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I use a program called ChaLean Extreme. I am a big fan of Chalene Johnson's workouts and her ChaLean Extreme has given me fantastic results. I hate going to the gym to do strength training- I just prefer being in my own home using my own things. And her program is very effective. I got mine off ebay for only like $50 and its definitely worth the purchase! (you get 9 hard core strength training workouts that you rotate through, 2 ab workouts, 3 cardio/endurance lifting workouts, 1 motivational dvd, and 1 dvd to learn the moves). I've also heard P90X is great, although I've never used it.

you could probably google different strength training workouts to do at home. I just push myself a lot harder when I have someone telling me to go heavier or to push a little more...I like that motivation!! Good luck on finding something to fit your needs!!!
  • Ki6gsz
    Ki6gsz Posts: 1
    Options
    My wife and I are about to start P90X. I have severe lower back pain, so we'll see how that goes. It's supposed to transform you in 90 days.
  • Teach381
    Options
    Wow, you all are fast! Thanks so much!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    In the latest FitnessRx mag there is a work out done by a girl name Jackie. Apparently she runs a gym and is in a reality show about the gym. But there is a routine that she does and all of it can be done at home. The article has step by step instructions with pics of each exercise.