Dried Fruit?

I don't snack usually, but now and then if i'm feeling exhausted i usuaally eat maybe one dried date or maybe three dried apricots, obviously there is a lot of sugar in these, but in such small amounts as i eat, how many calories and sugar should i expect to be eating???
Also, are these good choices, or should I opt for something else?
Do you eat dry fruits? if yes, why why not?
Ta x

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Fresh fruit is better - but a small amount of dried fruits if it fits your macros is fine.
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    I would opt for something else. It's concentrated sugar to the point is almost candy. I would try something that's more likely to fill you up for a couple hours: handful of nuts, milk, yogurt, fresh fruit, a small salad, etc.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I like figs, but they have a huge number of calories. One fig is twice as much if two pieces of my favorite chocolate.

Look up your favorite fruits under the food listings.

I find cashews very satisfying eaten 4 or 5 at a time. Or try candied ginger - also fewer calories.
  • I tried dried kiwi for the first time the other day, and I am in love with it. It tastes like candy.
  • CINDYRN33
    CINDYRN33 Posts: 148 Member
    I love dried mangos and as long as I have the calories and eating it in moderation I say go for it.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    If it's satisfying and fits in your macros, then go for it.

But keep in mind how much fruit you are consuming when you eat dried fried. Dried apricots are often a full apricot (sometimes halves), that means that you are eating 1 1/2 to 3 full apricots for those few bites of food. Or single average serving size of raisins (1/4 of a cup) would be equivalent to about three ounces, or almost a full sandwich baggie sized serving (still on the vine).

Personally, I look at fresh fruit as being more bang for your caloric buck. I only have fruit a couple of times a week, so when I have it, I want it fresh, flavorful, and filling and avoid the dried fruit. But that's my personal preference.

Though, on a related note, I was just joking with a coworker earlier today about some chocolate covered dried fruit someone else had brought in. I was saying that it was like something that people who like chocolate covered gummi candy would eat to try to trick themselves into thinking that they were eating something healthy.
  • I try to skip dried fruit and opt for fresh personally. The exception is sometimes I use dried dates (instead of sugar) in certain baking recipes. Dried fruit is not very filling....
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    I eat dried fruit occasionally [mostly dates] as part of a raw diet. The only way to know for sure if your dried fruit has no added sugar on it is to dry it yourself in a dehydrator or in the oven set at 115 farenheit or less for several hours. Really ripe bananas are great done this way. Oddly, if you dehydrate zucchini, it is also sweet! and makes great 'chips' to dip into houmus.

Hollycat:flowerforyou:
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    I dry food.. mostly vegetables. You have all the calories of full food in about 1/4 the space.. or less. Holy moly I dried out a large head of celery and it turned into less than 1/2 cup dried! I do strawberries for my kids.. it is just like candy. I would eat is INSTEAD of junk food.. it's still a lot of calories in a small package... but I have to figure it's just better junk food.