Things We've Learned from MFP

karmasBFF
karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Beef is better than turkey if you buy the right "lean-ness"

Bread slices- you can 2 for the price of one! If they are whole grain, no HFCS.

Replies

• bakergirl62
    bakergirl62 Posts: 248 Member
    Support of other members is a great motivator!

You are what you eat!
  • karmasBFF
    Multi-grain is not the same as Whole Grain! WHOLE is key!!!!!
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Change the battery in your digital scale every now and then.
  • I have learned to be more understanding and compassionate. I never realized how many people struggle everyday with food and weight. (I also learned it's a lot of g@& &%#* work to get rid of it)
  • lisa811
    lisa811 Posts: 363
    Counting calories makes a HUGE difference and is worth the work.

Read nutrition labels and ingredients lists.
  • Opera_Bound
    Opera_Bound Posts: 291 Member
    Watch the sodium levels in pre-packaged/frozen foods! Just because it's 'diet' or 'light' doesn't mean it's the best choice.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Man, my old diet was crap. Jeez,,, I used my mouth for a garbage can, and I had no idea.

"Deep fried" = "Poison"
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    You can only lose weight for so long by dieting alone. You absolutely NEED to excercise to be successful!!
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    That I am not alone. :-)
  • angelwings2000
    angelwings2000 Posts: 357 Member
    I can burn 220 calories just by shovelling the snow out of my driveway!!!
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    That maybe why I'm not losing weight is because I haven't been eating enough calories! :embarassed:
  • immacookie
    Watch the sodium levels in pre-packaged/frozen foods! Just because it's 'diet' or 'light' doesn't mean it's the best choice.

Yeah, isn't that insane?!?! I've been buying everything low fat / fat free / etc. for years now.... but it wasn't until last summer that I realized that maybe the full fat version (in moderation) is actually better for me in the long run. Go figure. :happy:
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    That maybe why I'm not losing weight is because I haven't been eating enough calories! :embarassed:
    I think this is one of the most common things for people to not understand but is soooo true. I'm glad coming here helped you(and hopefully many others) learn that.
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member

Me too!
  • immacookie
    I think this is one of the most common things for people to not understand but is soooo true. I'm glad coming here helped you(and hopefully many others) learn that.

I honestly would have never thought that on my own... all the diets that you see/hear talk about eating less and watching what you eat... not eating more (good stuff) and eating healthy fats and things like that. I've been reading Superfoods Rx also.

I just hope I can get back on track soon!
  • karmasBFF
    That I am not alone. :-)

Best thing I learned!!! Though my real-life friends don't struggle or motivate me, I have new friends that do!
  • karmasBFF
    I can burn 220 calories just by shovelling the snow out of my driveway!!!
    Wow! Really?????

So maybe my lazy brothers did me a favor this winter, huh????

New thing I learned...we burn calories in sooo many ways without ever realizing it. Like shoveling! Or dancing while we clean!
  • karmasBFF

I honestly would have never thought that on my own... all the diets that you see/hear talk about eating less and watching what you eat... not eating more (good stuff) and eating healthy fats and things like that. I've been reading Superfoods Rx also.

I just hope I can get back on track soon!

You are already back on track!

Yeah, now we know why starvation diets are a fad...they only get you so far before your body shuts down and needs to store EVERYTHING!
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    That my need to keep the house clean burns some calories for me!

That sometimes egg whites taste better with ham and cheese than whole eggs.

Banana Nut Crunch is about the best cereal ever (didnt learn it here, per se, but along the dieting).

Honey wheat is deeeelicious.

Pierogies arent bad for you!!!!
  • karmasBFF
    That my need to keep the house clean burns some calories for me!

That sometimes egg whites taste better with ham and cheese than whole eggs.

Banana Nut Crunch is about the best cereal ever (didnt learn it here, per se, but along the dieting).

Honey wheat is deeeelicious.

Pierogies arent bad for you!!!!

Pierogies arent bad???? Now I think I just fell in love!
This discussion has been closed.