The Quinoa Thread

Options
Please post your favorite quinoa recipes...

I just had a bowl of quinoa with 1 tsp of *gasp* white sugar, and a bunch of cinnamon. It was AWESOME.

Replies

• SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Hubby & I just discovered quinoa. We've only made it a couple of times, and both times used the same recipe:

http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/cilantro-lime-quinoa/

We've had it as a side with blackened tilapia as well as with jerk chicken. It went great with both.
  • MrsFrosty84
    MrsFrosty84 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ooo, that does sound like a good alternative to porridge in the morning! We always have quinoa in the house but never really know what to do with it. Will be interested to see what others come up with
  • marybaileygregory
    Options
    My favorite is something from a local vegan restaurant!
    Quinoa, pinto beans, kale, and a garlic aioli sauce. Sooooo good.
  • HTECHS
    HTECHS Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Interested to see what pops up... I had it for the first time the other night and blech! lol I'm a picky eater though... so I guess that's to be expected :\
  • Chewster001
    Chewster001 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Interested to see what pops up... I had it for the first time the other night and blech! lol I'm a picky eater though... so I guess that's to be expected :\

Make sure you rinse it before cooking it! If you don't, it can taste like soap. (You're rinsing off the natural saponins produced by the plant to deter bugs)
  • wormstrup14
    Options
    I love this recipe and my 13 yr old actually requested it for dinner. my hubby isn't a big fan cuz its served cold and he just can't wrap his head around a cold dinner...but here you go.

1 cup quinoa uncooked
    2 cups water
    1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 tbs white wine vinegar
    1/2 tsp dill weed
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp pepper
    40 med shrimp deveined and tail off, cooked
    5 clementines peeled and sectioned
    3/4 cup cucumber, chopped
    1/2 cup reduced fat feta cheese

1. in a medium saucepan bring quinoa and water to a boil. simmer for ten minutes.
    2. in small bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar , dill, salt and pepper.
    3. in a large bowl, combine quinoa, shrimp, clementines, cucumber, and whisked dressing.
    4. refridgerate for 4 hours before serving. top with feta cheese before serving. (I left out the cheese as I'm not a big cheese fan).
    5. enjoy!

1/2 cup equals 175 calories, 6 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 319 mg sodium, 17g carbs, 5 g fiber, 14g protein.
  • jabrussl
    jabrussl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Where do you find quinoa in the grocery store?
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I still need to try the quinoa mac and cheese recipe on this site. I just recently tried quinoa for the first time 2 weeks ago....by the way, how the hell do you pronounce the name? haha
  • jmc0806
    Options
    Where do you find quinoa in the grocery store?

Its usually in the section with rice and couscous
  • Chewster001
    Options
    I still need to try the quinoa mac and cheese recipe on this site. I just recently tried quinoa for the first time 2 weeks ago....by the way, how the hell do you pronounce the name? haha

/Keen-wah/
  • Cjoseph03
    Cjoseph03 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I LOVE quinoa! I saw this thread and HAD to read. It's great with Italian sausage and speg sauce. Yum!

I also mixed with corn and tuna and add a little Italian dressing for flavor..BAM! Delicious lunch!

It's also great to just throw some in your salads for some added texture. It's so very versatile!

I sub it for couscous sometimes. Just As Good!
  • scardone
    Options
    I make a quinoa salad of sorts. I mix quinoa with ricotta salata cheese, dried cherries (or cranberries), arugula, fresh basil, a little bit of olive oil (to wet the arugula), a squeeze of lemon juice, and pignoli nuts. You can add chicken or some other type of protein if you would like as well. I make a big bowl, works for dinner and lunch :)
  • jabrussl
    jabrussl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • nygrl4evr
    nygrl4evr Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Oh man I was butchering the pronunciation of this!!! Quin- noah.........not Keen- wah..........no wonder nobody knew what I was talking about!!

I bought some several weeks ago, and finally made it. I cooked a cup, and a 1/2 cup of orzo pasta-just in case the flavor was too strong. I then chilled and added all my favorite pasta salad fixings, a little cheese, olives, roasted red peppers- it was excellent. I'll be looking forward to new recipes (dressing was a balsamic & olive oil)
  • jasmine_noel
    jasmine_noel Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    greek quinoa salad: http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/greek-quinoa-salad/

I chop everything much smaller than her picture so everything is closer to the same size... I put it over a bed of spinach - delicious!

Not eating much wheat these days so quinoa is a great sub for pasta in any pasta salad I miss
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I cook it in chicken stock then I saute mushrooms, onion, garlic and asparagus in some olive oil. Season them with S&P. I fold the Quinoa into the veggies and dump it all into a bowl. I top it with fresh cherry tomatoes, halved. YUM.
  • jmc0806
    Options
    /Keen-wah/

thank you!
  • Chewster001
    Options
    Perhaps not the best idea on a diet - but probably the healthiest chocolate cake recipe that tastes AMAZING: Quinoa Chocolate Cake http://www.lindentea.com/?p=3675
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Veggie Wrap

1/2 cup cooked quinoa [mix in 1 T lemon juice]
    alfalfa sprouts
    tomatoes, cubed
    shredded carrot
    shredded lettuces [romaine, red leaf, butter, arugula, etc]
    diced cucumber
    1 T minced onion
    2 T sauce [1 T coconut butter and 1/4 mango, mashed together] spread on:
    2 blanched collard greens [wrap], or 1 sprouted wheat tortilla

Dip in peanut or almond sauce

Most of the calories come from the peanut sauce. The rest is pure goodness for your body!

Hollycat:flowerforyou: