Exercise 6 days a week 25 mins a day - too much? too little?

Options
I do elliptical 6 days a week, 25 min each day at medium incline and med-high resistence. Is this too much or too little?
I started my weight loss in June and gradually went from walking to speed walking and now I am onto the elliptical. I do plan to keep increasing the resistence and incline as I go, but is six days a week too much?

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    That's pretty low intensity, and you're still trying to lose weight, so I would say it is fine.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you know that your greatest controller is diet. Exercise is a great tool for calorie burn and fitness so take what I say after this with that in mind.

As long as you are always taking it higher that seems fine to me. Eventually increased time though should probably be considered. There are also good alternative tactics to doing the exact same thing all six days and there is wisdom is mixing things up and targeting total body. Of course, this could be in your plan and you can choose to do something like this later. But, our bodies can get used to almost anything and when they get used to it we usually lose the benefits we want to get out of it. This is because if our exercise becomes routine our calorie intake tends to become routine as well. A great example of this are 'some' marathon runners. You will see several runners that cross the finish line at about an average pace of 8 minutes per mile and they sport a gut. To be able to complete a marathon at that pace you are usually training for at least 50 miles a week. That's a lot of exercise- but their bodies are used to it and the difference is that they have been doing basically the same thing week in and week out.

Also, there are a lot of other muscles in your body that would just love to be exercised. So, for example, you could do your cardio 4 days of the week and build in 2 strength training workouts to exercise those other muscles too. Something like this should speed up your results quite a bit with a net time gain of zero.