Heart Rate / Calorie Counter ... HELP!

I've been looking into heart rate / calorie counters and am completely overwhelmed by the choices, features and wide price range.

Essentially I'm looking for something reliable that can be worn while doing cardio and walking/running. I'd like to track heart rate and calories burned and I'm willing to pay for a quality model, but the $300 plus price stickers are scaring me! Do I actually need all these features or will I regret not having them in six months?

If you have a favorite model (or least), please share which features you find most helpful and which you could do without.

Thanks!
V -

Replies

• lrob100
    lrob100 Posts: 122 Member
    I'm curious about this as well - I would like to purchase a heart rate monitor. I have no idea which model is best. Anyone have any suggestions for a quality, inexpensive one?
  • girlonabikedc
    girlonabikedc Posts: 111 Member
    I have a Polar Ft4 and its been very useful. I've used it for the last two years, and only had to change the watch battery once. It gives me my HR & calories burned, as well as how long I'm actually in my target zone. Plus it displays a cake on my birthday ;-)

I checked on Amazon and you can pick one up for about $65.
  • crowunruh
    crowunruh Posts: 246 Member
    I have the womens sportline cardio 630. It was only $49.00 and it works great.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    polar ft7 - chest strap & watch. under $80-60 new, works well and is accurate. If you like wearing watches.
    polar bluetooth wearlink + android (oe iphone) = wearlink for round $79-69 (on sale). syncs with phone and requires a app on the phone to record info (i use Endomondo, but there are several to choose from). works great and is accurate. it only needs the chest strap and your phone, which I normally use for music so I'm set.

both are great devices, both record heart rate, calories, and the bluetooth version dependant on app, can track steps/distance.

both are user replaceable batteries as well ... some polars are NOT.
  • WendySue67
    WendySue67 Posts: 17 Member
    I have a Polar FT7 that I have been using for about 6 months and I love it! I only use it for monitoring my heart rate and the calorie count and that is all--I know there are other bells and whistles but I don't use them and don't see the need for them. I prefer keeping it simple so I will keep doing it (the more complicated I make it, the more likely I am to quit) I got mine at Sports Authority and paid $90 (it was on sale plus I had a coupon). Well worth the money but I'd be sorry if I'd spent more for something more fancy--totally unnecessary in my opinion.
  • cndslee
    cndslee Posts: 256 Member
    I also have a Polar FT7 and LOVE it. It is also water proof so I use it for water aerobics class. Wish I would have bought it earlier.
  • ThinVee
    ThinVee Posts: 77 Member
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. Just ordered the Polar FT7 - can't wait to try it out!
  • Ebethlonghorn
    Ebethlonghorn Posts: 10 Member
    I am asking Santa for the Garmin Forerunner 110. It is "out of the box" ready to step outside and use the GPS. It does not require anything more then a few momets to sync up. Seems beneficial as most need a "foot pod"? :)
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. Just ordered the Polar FT7 - can't wait to try it out!

Mine works like a charm. Great accessory for cardio exercise.