Working out everyday-can someone shed some light?

Options
Someone told me today that in order to get results by working out you need to take a day off between workouts so that muscle can repair itself. I am new to all of this so just wondering if this is fact or fiction? I have been working out everyday (6 days a week) but should I be having a rest day in between? Can someone shed some light on this for me? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    are your goals to build muscle? or the shed fat?
    are you eating at a calorie deficit?
    are you eating a significant amount of protein?

the answer is: it depends lol :)
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    You can work out everyday as long as you switch the muscle groups you are working. Cardio you can do everyday. However it is nice to let the body have one day of rest a week (which you do), but it is not necessary to to see results.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    if you arent doing the same exact exercises every day or working out the same muscle groups you should be ok. by working out the muscle groups i mean weight lifting with enough weight that is creating tiny tears in your muscles so that they will repair stronger.

so if you're doing air squats you'd be ok to do those several days a week, but if you're doing weighted ones with enough weight that it's a bit difficult, then you'd need a day in between to rest and heal.
    also included is anything high impact like running and jump rope because that causes strain on your body that you'd need to rest from, especially if you're just beginning
  • benandgillsmom
    benandgillsmom Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses! I am mainly focusing on shedding the fat right now but ideally would love to build muscle as well. I have about 60lbs to loose and I just wanted to make sure that I was going about it correctly and that my workouts are as efficient as they can be.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses! I am mainly focusing on shedding the fat right now but ideally would love to build muscle as well. I have about 60lbs to loose and I just wanted to make sure that I was going about it correctly and that my workouts are as efficient as they can be.

then definitely start weight training sooner rather than later. weight lifting combined with cardio and a small decrease in calories will help you shed lots of fat