Ladies, a question

Options
I have to know if anyone else has this issue/problem, and if it's normal or not. When I exercise, a good heavy breathing lots of sweat exercise, I have light bleeding or spotting. Obviously I'm not talking about when it's that time of month anyway, this is at the other times, when I'm NOT supposed to be worried about that. It's worse if I am doing a higher impact exercise, like running or step aerobics. Anyone have this happen to them, or anyone know what the deal is with that? I'm thinking that it's just jostling stuff lose, but it's never happened before September-ish, so 4-5 months. I do have all my body parts in there, and I'm 32, with four kids, as a side note, because you just never know what might be relevant, lol.

Replies

• Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    hmmmm I've never heard of anything like that. Have you called your doctors?
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I would deffinitly contact your doctor and explain whats going on. good luck The only thing I've heard remotely related (and it's not really) is that when you have cramps it helps ease them by exercising.. so I just don't know hun.
  • mamaturner
    Options
    I would deffinitly contact your doctor and explain whats going on. good luck The only thing I've heard remotely related (and it's not really) is that when you have cramps it helps ease them by exercising.. so I just don't know hun.
  • mamaturner
    Options
  • MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of that either....any chance you might be pregnant? I would definitely call your dr. though! There might be something else going on.
    Good Luck!!
  • Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    Options
    Sorry for getting really personal, but do you have an IUD? Sometimes you can have spotting from those with heavy exercise, which is usually normal, but it is definitely worth talking to the doc about.
  • sandmart2009
    sandmart2009 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I would suggest calling the doc first. I went thru that when I had IUD and turned out it was an allergic reaction. Some of my friends experience that and it's because of the pill. So many speculations, so the best way would be to check with your doctor.
  • seelizrun
    seelizrun Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask the same thing as the above poster, do you have an IUD? Either way this is definitely something you should call your doctor about.
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    When I first started exercising and changed my eating habits, I would have breakthrough bleeding. I don't anymore. I think a lot of the times your hormones get thrown off.
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    never happened to me either.... I ditto what everyone is saying about talking to your doctor...
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    No IUD, no BC at all, but I've been having my regular cycle every 27 days, so I doubt I'm pregnant. I don't have any medical insurance, so that's kind of why I hoped I might run into it on here as something not to worry about, sigh. April, how long did you have breakthrough bleeding? Like I said, this has been going on for almost 5 months, which is why I'm starting to wonder.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    No IUD, no BC at all, but I've been having my regular cycle every 27 days, so I doubt I'm pregnant. I don't have any medical insurance, so that's kind of why I hoped I might run into it on here as something not to worry about, sigh. April, how long did you have breakthrough bleeding? Like I said, this has been going on for almost 5 months, which is why I'm starting to wonder.

Is there like a family planning..or some sort of free clinic you can go to. Because you should probably go to someone as soon as you can.
  • souchie
    souchie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Go see the doctor, don't just call. It is better to have an actual exam and know what is going on, it could be hormone fluctuations, but your doctor can't diagnose over the phone.
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure that has been a while. If it has been that long I would either take a pregnancy test or call my dr.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I was doing the couch to 5K last year. I guess I didn't worry too much about it as it was just light spotting. I did google some and it seems to be fairly common - though apparently not on MFP! Maybe call an Ask A Nurse line if you have one in your town.
  • Buzzkitty1
    Options
    Fat can hold estrogen which could be released as you burn that fat, causing breakthrough bleeding. However, I'd definitely check with a medical professional.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I thought this was interesting. WTG on the no BC thing, (healthiest thing you can be doing...nothing!)

DrSugar is in the house and he's answering your health questions.

Dear Dr. Sugar,
    I would really appreciate some information about women spotting after higher intensity exercise. What is the cause of the spotting? Are there any dangers? If I keep doing the exercises that trigger the spotting, will the spotting go away? I enjoy challenging myself but I do not want to damage my body. Thank you so much for sharing your expertise.
    — Nervous About Down There

To see what DrSugar has to say on this topic, read more.

I understand your concern and can tell you that vaginal bleeding between periods or "spotting" is fairly common and can have many different causes. From your description, it sounds like the trigger of your spotting is high-intensity exercise. When it comes to intense exercise, it is actually more common to have lighter periods or less frequent periods than it is to have spotting. However, spotting during very heavy exercise has been reported by some women. Either symptom, spotting or loss of periods, could be a sign that you are stressing your body too much. The bleeding itself is probably not dangerous, assuming it is only a small amount, but you could be causing damage to other parts of your body from exercising too much or too hard. I would recommend listening to what your body is telling you and try to cut back a little to see if the spotting goes away.

I would also keep in mind that there are many other issues that could be contributing to your spotting. It would be a good idea to make absolutely sure that you are not pregnant. Certain problems related to pregnancy can cause spotting. Also note that some women experience spotting during ovulation, so if you only notice the bleeding mid-cycle, this could be the cause. If the spotting does not improve with a lighter exercise regimen, I would recommend seeing a doctor for a full evaluation. For more online information check out the FitSugar health guide on vaginal bleeding between periods.

Have a question for DrSugar? Send it by private messaging me here, and I will forward it to the good doctor.

DrSugar's posts are for informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment recommendations. Click here for more details.
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, it helps to see some of the different ideas. I feel silly taking a pregnancy test when I have a real period every month, but I guess I could just to rule it out definitively. I hate to cut back on the intensity of my workouts too, since those are when I have best weight loss result, but I don't want to be damaging my innards if that's what I'm doing, so I guess I could try moderate pilates or something, see if that helps. Thanks again.
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Since you don't have insurance, if this persists after lighter workouts, go see Planned Parenthood. Their real purpose is helping women take charge of their reproductive health, and that includes what you're dealing with. Also, a blood panel done for pregnancy testing could A. catch pregnancy if your drug-store test missed it or B. tip you off to hormonal imbalances that could be to blame.
  • jennlaw89
    jennlaw89 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I know this post is years old but I have the same problem and I saw my doctor. There's nothing wrong with me and no I'm not pregnant and don't have an iud. It's called DUB or dysfunctional uterine bleeding. Your body's fat stores estrogen and when you lose weight your estrogen level drops which can cause irregular bleeding. In my case I lost 30lbs in a short period of time and my weight continues to drop so unfortunately I've been bleeding a lot but once my weight loss slows or plateaus the irregular bleeding should stop.