DO YOU TRUST CALORIE COUNTING METERS?

Options
This morning, I purchased a Sport Line Color Trac calorie counter and it counted all of the calories I burned today during my 12 hour shift at the prison and according to this meter (that I wore on my hip all day) I burned 234 calories!!! That is more than me RUNNING a mile and a half in 18 minutes (doing a 12 minute mile). What do you all think about the calorie counters? Should I be excited about this or tell myself not to believe the hype? :huh:

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I use a Nike fit band and I do trust it! However, I don't eat back my exercise calories.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Let's assume it's almost perfectly correct. I still have to ask what there is to get excited about here. This is your normal shift and you burn this or a similar amount of calories every day that you were. It's not additional exercise; it's your daily activity baseline. If you choose to count and eat back exercise calories, it's the calories *above* your regular daily activity that you want to count.

Bonus note: running the 1.5 miles would have an additional metabolic effect above and beyond the 200+ burned calories so you wouldn't normally compare the burns directly like this.