think you don't need to excercise? think again!

Options
Hi all,

I have nothing profound to say but I am just feeling so strongly today about the need to excercise.:heart:

I hated excercising!!! :explode: I mean, I didn't like any type, at all!!!:sad:

But my weight loss had come to a stand still by diet alone and around that same time I found MFP. The people on here motivated me to at least try excercising.:grumble:

What have I learned?

That real weight loss is possible!:love:
That if you are excercising the scales only show a small part of the whole picture.

My stress level has decreased significantly!

I sleep better at night.

At first I felt more tired after excercising :yawn: but within a couple of months I noticed that I had more energy than ever before.

A heart rate monitor is a must!!! :heart: :heart: :heart: In the beginning I was trying to kill myself but with the HRM I am sure to get a good work out everytime that doesn't leave me in the gutter.

I was really worried about loose skin but with excercise although the loose skin is there, the firm muscle underneath is reassuring and looks better.:bigsmile:

Over Christmas I stopped excercising as rigourously and was surprised at how quickly some of the muscle definition began to vanish.:huh: I am now back on track.

I was afraid of looking "muscular" but that didn't happen. :laugh: Everytime I pick up a weight I think of how good it is for my bones (I am peri-menapausal and my bone health is important to me).

When I read that someone is content to simply diet without the excercise I wan't to take them aside and gently tell them how much they are missing by not doing it.:cry:

I know that it is hard. I know that right now for many of us it is cold and miserable outside. :noway: I know that it hurts. I know that you don't have time. I know that you feel guilty when family has to wait for something because you are doing this.:grumble: I know every excuse...I don't have the money to go the gym, my knees hurt, I am too fat, people will look at me weird, :blushing: etc.

Do it anyway!!!

My love to you all,:flowerforyou:

DD

Replies

• Jax67
    Jax67 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this inspirational post, i have come to love exercising because i love the way it makes me feel - so proud that i am taking control of my life and my weight loss :flowerforyou:
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I hate working out! everyday I say im going to go to the gym and then i blow it off.
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!! Great post!! :drinker:
  • lbpw
    lbpw Posts: 77
    Options
    i agree that it overall is so beneficial. ive been exercising steadily for over a year and i hate to admit that i still do hate it :ohwell:
    some days i have soo much energy and i just wanna move all day and others i cry at the thought of the treadmill haha.
    i think people just have to find something they love. there's gotta be something out there that everybody can enjoy just a little that will help to keep them fit and healthy. and thats exactly what im doing now. if i wanna maintain this weight i have to start finding something i love to do. im looking into joining a gym so i get all the equipment and fitness classes. :smile:
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    Options
    Great post!
    The benefits of exercise are SO much more then weight loss -- for me its about getting a good nights sleep - didnt get one until I started exercising!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I hate working out! everyday I say im going to go to the gym and then i blow it off.

Go early in the morning before you can make excuses. Then it is done for the day
  • WickedFit
    Options
    WONDERFUL story!!!! It is sooo true. And the part you said about how quickly the muscle definition went away....did you also notice how quickly it is to come back???

I really enjoyed reading that! Inspire On!
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options

Go early in the morning before you can make excuses. Then it is done for the day

I have tried doing that. But that would mean I would have to get up at like 430am,...and that is not going to happen. I wish I could though.
  • tnallen
    Options
    @ DeeDee,

I totally understand your feelings:noway: . I have never worked out in my life and actually hated the thought of it!!!! :grumble: Last year, I started taking a Zumba class. It was so fun that it did not feel like a work out. I would go 3-4 times a week. I NEVER EVER worked out or even thought about working out before starting this Zumba class. Altoughth the class was fun and I burned tons of calories, I barely lost any weight. As a result of starting the class, I got into a habit of working out several times a week and I actually looked forward to it.

At the begining of this year(2010), I started a kickboxing class. This class is more intense and challenging for me, but I love the challenge and cant wait to reap the benefits!

I said all of that to say. I would strongly encourage people who hate exercise to just start somewhere.:grumble: Your body will crave the exercise and you will look forward to going:happy: . It is actually one of my favorite parts of the day!! Your exercise does not have to be in a gym, get a dvd and do it in the comfort of your own home...get the family involved.

I've only lost a few pounds but I can begin to see the definition in my arms, legs and other parts of my body!!!!

I'm so excited about my new love for exercising!!!
  • bebhinn
    bebhinn Posts: 198
    Options
    I think working out is important, but i also think that eating properly is key. I haven't been working out yet primarily because the weight has been falling off with limited to no efforts aside from eating changes. It also means that when I do start exercising shortly, I wont have to be lugging my 300+ pounds on the treadmill. I have 12 lbs to go before I start my exercise regimen. By then I should be more than secure in my eating habits and ready to introduce regular exercise habits.

At least 5 times in my life I have tried to do both at the same time right from the get go and i got discouraged so quickly, this time, food first - exercise later seems to be working. I guess I will be posting more in this section once my regimen starts!

I am really looking forward to the improved mood/sleep thing too. Good on you for sticking with it :D

Coles notes version? Exercise AND diet are key in a healthy lifestyle!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I have tried doing that. But that would mean I would have to get up at like 430am,...and that is not going to happen. I wish I could though.

*ahem*
    You CAN. However, it appears that you just WON'T.
    There's a difference.

Also, you don't need a gym to exercise. :flowerforyou:
    It would be beneficial to just get up 30 minutes earlier & do some jumping jacks and pushups and stretching. But you probably "can't" do that either, eh? :wink:
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I still have days where I don't want to do it but once I am in the swing of it I just have to do it...if I don't I stop seeing results.

I am not a fast loser and diet alone definetely isn't working for me. I am down to my last 18#'s and I want them off!!

Glad that the post inspired at least some of you.:happy: