Heart Patients, BP Pills and HRM

Options
Any heart patients on Blood Pressure pills using a HRM? I have been thinking about using mine for Weight Training since that appears to be the most taxing exercise I do just to get an idea of how hard my heart is working.

Replies

• rubberbiscuit
    Options
    I'm on bp medicine, Losartin Potassium, and use a hrm. I'm not a heart patient though. I'm not really sure what the question is. Have you checked with your doctor to make sure you are ok for strenuous exercise? Have you had a recent stress test? A hrm monitor is a great way to see how strenuously your heart is working while you're exercising. Just make sure to follow your doctor's advice on how hard you can workout. Good luck.
  • marceguerrero
    Options
    My BP pills (dosage) won't allow my blood pressure to run the full gamut of fitness extremes (of course for my protection). For example, annually a Nuclear Stress is administered bc the Treadmill test is useless.

Now this is not a big deal for my normal fitness regimen of Walking/Trail Hiking. However, I do some weight training to maintain muscle mass. This type of activity is much more "intense" because of the "short bursts" needed to "move the weight" and frankly pushes my heart rate quickly as opposed to cardio workouts where the BP can regulate my heart rate!

Mind you I am aware of my limitations based on age & my health so over-exertion is not in the cards, but, I was just wondering if another MFP member under the same circumstances uses a HRM for weight training and for argument sake for "Interval Training"?

-Yes, Cardiologist is over joyed at my walking regimen and weight loss. And; Yes, he gave me a HR MAX number to guide me, but, frankly I am coming nowhere close to that number with Walking. However, he did mention he wants to review more data after 6 months to see if we should experiment with lowering my dosage if my weight loss stops.
  • tlnurse
    tlnurse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm a cardiovascular nurse. Losartan won't affect your HR...but B-blockers will (ie. Atenolol, Toprol, Metoprolol, etc).

If you are on a b-blocker, you definitely want to adjust your HR "goal" according to your Dr's recommendation. It would make it impossible to reach the "normal" HR goals for your age (usually you need to drop it 15-20 bpm.) It will NOT stop you from getting a good work-out in though!

Good luck to you!:flowerforyou:
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I'm on both losartan and a b-blocker. Even with the low dose of the b-blocker, my resting pulse is anywhere between 45-60 usually. I'm still never sure what my target heart rate should be during exercise. I go by what the exercise physiologists tell me, but during workouts, I'm usually pushing my pulse higher. Guess I should have a chat with my cardiologist....
  • marceguerrero
    Options
    Meds: Atenolol & Lisinopril

Just fantastic!; TINURSE;

Yes that's the HR swing I am getting on treadmill workouts!!! However, do you think I am getting the same protection with the weight training?

@Tidesong;

My resting is in the Hi 60s; and I generally can push my HR to 122 on the treadmill which distorts my speech but is not oppressive on my breathing pattern. My Max is 150.

Yes, would check w/Cardiologist to get your MAX number just to have as a reference number.