Nursing school is making me fat!

Options
...well, I would like to blame it on school. I feel so overwhelmed with having 1-3 tests a week and 30 hours of lecture AND homework! *cries* (mind you, this is an average of 10 chapters PER test!) Any moment I have to spare....I find myself taking naps instead of going to the gym! I have gained 10 pounds this year, and I'm feeling really depressed and discouraged. I want to start going back to the gym but I'm having a hard time finding motivation. :-( I just can't wait until I'm done with school, but its 8 months away.

Any tips or words of encouragement from fellow nursing students?

Replies

• Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Not a nursing student, but I know I gained weight when I went back at 30 for Respiratory Therapy. I know its hard and the stress is overwhelming. I walked with a classmate at lunch and we studied together and talked to destress, I gained because I was also working 36 hours (3 twelve hour shifts) in the Monitor Room at the hospital where I worked. I had class or clinical all day friday then had to be at work at 645p, then I slept 6-7 hours Saturday, did another 645p-715a, slept 6-7 hours Sun, then 645p-715a, left work and drove directly to class which was til 330p. So I did a lot of 24-30 hours with no sleep. I was eating a ton of fast food and drinking lattes and energy drinks like there was no tomorrow. If you are keeping your calories in check maybe build a walk around the building into classroom days and on clinical days maybe get there 10 minutes early and walk then walk again before leaving. Maybe you won't lose but if you can maintain at least you wan't have as far to go after you finish. Good Luck with school