Carbs per day

Options

Replies

• sannsk
    sannsk Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Go to http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/how-many-carbs-per-day/ This breaks it down pretty good. It also debunks the myths surrounding carbs.

Thanks for that website! it's enlightening, but the numbers it gives me are higher than MFP.
    According to MFP, I should eat 1380 cal / day (non-exercise days), but acaloriecounter.com says I should eat around 1493 cals / day ( using the calorie maintenance level calculated by the Harris-Benedict Equation minus 20%).

Help! 1380 vs. 1493 is a big difference to me!
    What do you follow, and what do you feel is correct?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    They're both "correct" as they both use different concepts. MFP gives you calories to eat based on no exercise, and expects you to eat back any extra calories you burn from exercising. Using the TDEE - 20% method builds exercise into your daily goal. That's why MFP's base goal is lower.
  • sannsk
    Options
    :smile:
    They're both "correct" as they both use different concepts. MFP gives you calories to eat based on no exercise, and expects you to eat back any extra calories you burn from exercising. Using the TDEE - 20% method builds exercise into your daily goal. That's why MFP's base goal is lower.

Yeah, but I've entered 'sedentary' as my activity level. Same as on MFP, so shouldn't it come at the same number then? Sorry, confused here :smile:
  • recee96
    recee96 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 100-150. I used to be wayyyy over 200, which was because of refined carbs. I thought a 100 calorie pack of cookies wouldn't hurt bc of the low calories. Big mistake. I see why my weightloss was stalled and I stayed bloated all of the time. Now, I'm more mindful of eating better carbs/grains on a daily basis.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    B, six days out of the week.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    b-c, i try to stick right around 100 a day.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I try and keep mine lower with natural carbs...only from fruits, & veggies well and wasa cracker. I eat mostly protein, & veggies now.
    I stay away from breads, and pasta.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    E, almost every day. Carbs are defintely not the enemy.
  • MonicaLee92
    Options
    Usually D
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options

Yeah, but I've entered 'sedentary' as my activity level. Same as on MFP, so shouldn't it come at the same number then? Sorry, confused here :smile:
    \

I highly doubt you are sedentary unless you have some disability. . .I would raise that up. and personally, both of those seemed a bit low. I only weigh 105 lbs and maintenance is close to 2000 for me, so I am sure you can eat more than that to lose
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    E to if there was an F.

I need my energy :):drinker:
  • msbeeblebrox
    msbeeblebrox Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It's between C and D, depending on my exercise for the day. I used to eat less than 100 grams, but then I increased my running mileage - and now have increased calories in general. I try to make sure I get 100 grams of protein each day before I start stuffing my face with carbs.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Being diabetic, I am a B.
  • JLgettinghealthy
    JLgettinghealthy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    B! i am trying to eat less bread and sugar, but I still eat carbs because i'm consuming lots of fruits and veggies. :) i average about 80-90 a day.
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    A. My carbs come from green veggies only. Not a sacrifice really because I am not a big white rice, white bread, or pasta fan. Don't really feel like I am giving anything up.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I try to stay between 135 and 140 per day. I also allow myself half my fiber back again in carbs. So if I had 20 grams of fiber I will up my daily limit to 145-150. I also try to spread it evenly to 5 or 6 'meals' per day so it keeps my BS steady.
  • Deanna_garnermommy
    Deanna_garnermommy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    C !! I run 20-30 miles per week, i need my GOOD carbs! I only eat ezekiel and sprouted grain cereal, fruit, veggies and sweet potato.. and wasa rye crackers nom nom nom
  • AngelaH10
    AngelaH10 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist suggests 30-45 carbs between breakfast, lunch, and dinner; 15-20 carbs for snacks, and to stay between 3-5 g of fat for both snacks and meals. :bigsmile: Good luck!
  • sannsk
    Options

\

I highly doubt you are sedentary unless you have some disability. . .I would raise that up. and personally, both of those seemed a bit low. I only weigh 105 lbs and maintenance is close to 2000 for me, so I am sure you can eat more than that to lose

I entered 'sedentary' because I have a desk job, so I sit in front of a computer all day. When I exercise, I just add up the calories I've burned. But I can see where that is not a good approach :-/

And plus: how do I know the difference between lightly active ( TDEE 2139) and moderatly active (TDEE 2411) :-/ I go to a gym 2/3 times a week, each time burning 400/600 cals.

I kinda got used to eating 1380 cals a day. Should I push that up? I usually toach my goal for good fats, but am no where near my protein goal :-D
  • fugaj01
    fugaj01 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    C and sometimes B.