craving pickles?

Options
i was wondering if anyone know what it means when you are craving pickles? am i deficient in some mineral or vitamin? does it mean my body is needing salt? i have eaten an entire jar of pickles in 3 days (seriously, an entire jar). the only other time i did this was when i was pregnant with my first child eight years ago, and i haven't wanted pickles since then. i am not pregnant so that is not it. any suggestions? thanks.
dawn

Replies

• JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    :laugh: about a month ago I ate an entire jar of pickles in one night...claussen (sp?) sandwich slices...mmm, I just kept going back to the fridge & grabbing 2 at a time. It hasn't happened since and I have no advice - just that I've done the same. When you're prego the cravings usually mean you're missing whatever is in what you're craving...idk if it works the same way when you're not prego? Good Question!
  • sara_f
    sara_f Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Electrolytes low or you need sodium....that is what I got when I went to ask.com about your pickle cravings!!! I love ask.com!!!!
  • meganwojo
    meganwojo Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    When you suddenly develop a craving for certain types of foods, even if it lasts for weeks on end, there is a physical reason for it. It usually means that your body is needing an ingredient of that particular food, a vitamin or a mineral.

These types of cravings usually go away once your body has had enough of the vitamin, mineral or other ingredient that it needs.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless it is affecting your blood pressure. The craving will disappear on its own.
  • Marcy79
    Marcy79 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've heard of it being a deficiency, this is what I found...

"For example, a food craving for pickles or chips, which may be believed to indicate a need for sodium, may actually be triggered instead by a potassium deficiency (a similar mineral). "
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    this may be a dumb question...but are pickels good for you?
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    :laugh: LOL.....it may just mean you want pickles!!
  • sara_f
    sara_f Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I know its weird how your body tells you it needs something!! While we are making these changes with our eating habits, I think its important to notice things like that!! Listen to your body!! When my iron gets low, I HAVE to eat ice....I mean HAVE to...But when my iron is under control (like now) its not so bad!!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I don't crave pickles. But use them as a snack. 2 pickles is like 20 calories. Fills me up, helps me retain water, and other good stuff.

I think I'll go get some right now.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    this may be a dumb question...but are pickels good for you?

Sure, low call snack. the only thing you have to watch for is the sodium.. It's just a cucumber that's in vinager and pickling spice.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh for a couple of days if you ate a full jar in 3 days. The sodium is crazy in pickles - love them!! Yes it's just cucumbers, vinegar, pickling spices but you left out pickling salt. Lots and lots. But sooo good!!
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Electrolytes low or you need sodium....that is what I got when I went to ask.com about your pickle cravings!!! I love ask.com!!!!

Agree. You could be needing sodium and/or your electrolytes are low. It is also very possible that your potassium levels are low. If you must have pickles, try mixing them into a salad using very dark, leafy, greens like romaine, kale, or chard. This will balance out your sodium levels while getting the potassium you need. Bananas are great for potassium, but are very high in sugar. Some will say to drink Gatorade to satisgy the sodium/electrolyte need, but the calories are very high. Also, don't go overboard with potassium intake as it can cause rapid heartbeat, high blood pressure, and light headedness.

But, sometimes, you just gotta have pickles!!!! :tongue:
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    wow! i am surprised at all the replies. lol. thanks everybody! :) good info.
  • sdgmj562
    Options
    I know that this topic hasn't been discussed for quite some time on here but I am so glad that I read it. I have been craving pickles more than I ever have and I was also craving pickle juice too. I ate a large jar of pickles and the juice in less than 24 hours. I know the salt content is through the roof but I had no idea this was a result from very low potassium. It makes perfect sense now so I have taken some supplements. Thanks for the info!!!
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I use to crave the pickle juice and it got so bad I went to a doctor. She told me my body wanted something in the Jar and perhaps my body wanted the vinigar to cleanse my body. It passed after about 3 weeks but I could kill an entire jar in a day :) My doctor just told me to watch my salt intake and warn me about water weight lol.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I must be deficient in something that's in chocolate and Bailey's Irish Cream then!
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I want pickles now.
  • maryc91
    maryc91 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    OMG, I was googleing this myself when I stumble upon your post...this is so weird I just had the same thing happened to me today. I started the Venus Index program 3 days ago, so far so good, no cravings, eating properly, logging my calories, drinking my 1 gallon of water, I'm also doing Intermittent Fasting, today was a fasting day for me, it was all going well, I wasn't starving...suddenly I'm craving Dill Pickles...I like a pickle once in a while, but nothing like this, it's like I just couldn't get enough of them. I ate the entire small jar...if that wasn't enough I drank...YES DRANK some of the pickle juice...how gross is that! I have NEVER done this, maybe a little during pregnancy, but that is not the case now.
  • LilBee82
    LilBee82 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Haha. Okay I just wrote on my wall I was craving pickles really bad and wanted to drink the juice. Then I googled and this was the first thing that came up.

Pickles were my first solid food as a child so I have always loved pickles. But I have eaten a quarter of a huge jar and a quarter of a small jar of pickles in three days.

I don't think its my sodium or maybe it could be. I have also been craving potatoes but I have been eating them too. As well as eating bananas. So maybe its electrolytes?

Now I have to google exactly what that is lol

Maybe I am drinking too much water?

What about taking a multivitamin or something? Is there anything that can help?
  • AWalkerbite
    Options
    Not a fan of cucumbers or pickles, but I do eat them on occasion. Today Just the thought of the smell of vinegar made me want one. Not so much the pickle but the vinegar. Very strange thing to be craving. I am also a male so being pregnant is off the table. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestion of why I am craving vinegar? I see that low potassium and salt are factors, but I don't think I am low on those. I include plenty into my diet.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I must be deficient in something that's in chocolate and Bailey's Irish Cream then!
    Laughs!!