Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    [It is a nice gym. Wish we had them here.

You do, check again :wink:
    Yeah this is about 30 min away. Not practical.. but thanks.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I was a member a while back. Great if all you want is cardio and some basic weight machines. You won't find anything cheaper, and you can't really beat their guest policy. If you plan on starting a serious heavy lifting regimen, stay away!
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Howdy! I'm in Brighton!! *waves South East* lol Even though I have a full gym at home, I am a member at our local PF. Our gym is also hubby's office - so my time can be limited when using it. Plus, PF is on my way home from clients where I can easily bust out a routine and finish my day. (like today)

For the price, you cant beat it. Its always clean, the staff is friendly and they have equipment for the basic peep who wants to get fit. Yeah yeah, there's no squat rack or plated barbells but I've seen people accomplish their fitness goals just fine without using these tools. The only thing *I* dont like is I cannot bring in my TRX to use - "no outdoor equipment" :( Again, for the price you cant beat it.

I agree with contacting a trainer. They're free and can get you on the right track to achieve your fitness goals :)

My tip? Avoid Monday evenings!!! Everyone is working off their weekend!! Its ALWAYS packed at ours!! hahah
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    We recently joined PF. We have tons of fitness centers around us that are closer but none could beat the price of $10 a month even with the 20 minute drive. I did consider another gym because they offered Zumba, Pilates and spinning classes but when I looked at the times they offered those classes I realized I wouldn't be able to go to any of them. All of the classes were between 8 am and 6 pm weekdays. None on Saturdays. And the gyms were closed or very limited hours on Sundays. PF has their training times at a variety of times that include evenings and weekends. If I really want to do Zumba I could join a class at the parks and rec for a minimal price. So far the treadmill at PF is plenty of cardio for me. And, trust me, my muscles are letting me know that the weight machines at PF do a fine job. My husband and I are both very happy with PF.
  • heygina
    Options
    Howdy! I'm in Brighton!! *waves South East* lol Even though I have a full gym at home, I am a member at our local PF. Our gym is also hubby's office - so my time can be limited when using it. Plus, PF is on my way home from clients where I can easily bust out a routine and finish my day. (like today)

For the price, you cant beat it. Its always clean, the staff is friendly and they have equipment for the basic peep who wants to get fit. Yeah yeah, there's no squat rack or plated barbells but I've seen people accomplish their fitness goals just fine without using these tools. The only thing *I* dont like is I cannot bring in my TRX to use - "no outdoor equipment" :( Again, for the price you cant beat it.

I agree with contacting a trainer. They're free and can get you on the right track to achieve your fitness goals :)

My tip? Avoid Monday evenings!!! Everyone is working off their weekend!! Its ALWAYS packed at ours!! hahah

Hey yo! I think I dated a guy with a Brighton PF card on his keychain lol.

Glad to hear the MI ones aren't sucky. thanks for the advice!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I live in NC and have been a member of PF for 3 1/2 years and love it. This past summer I had to travel to Michigan and worked out at the one in Novi. It was much nicer than my PF down here, newer equipment and bigger and the employees were really nice.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I like mine. I wish they had a row machine, but they don't. They do have a little hallway area that leads up to their storage that I use to jump rope in, though, so that's nifty and I'm out of everyone's way.

They also have a Pizza Monday, where they have free pizza every first Monday of the month, which is kind of counter-productive but also kind of quirky and fun (I rarely partake in the eating part, though, but everyone gathers at the tables after a workout and socializes and it's nice).

Mine has Pizza Monday, too (as well as a Bagel Tuesday, I think). I normally workout in the mornings on Mondays, so i had never been to one until a few months ago. It was FUNNY! I should preface that I live in S Florida with a lot of senior citizens. Somehow they all showed up when there was a free meal! I don't think any of them worked out that evening, but they definitely had some pizza!
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I like mine. I wish they had a row machine, but they don't. They do have a little hallway area that leads up to their storage that I use to jump rope in, though, so that's nifty and I'm out of everyone's way.

They also have a Pizza Monday, where they have free pizza every first Monday of the month, which is kind of counter-productive but also kind of quirky and fun (I rarely partake in the eating part, though, but everyone gathers at the tables after a workout and socializes and it's nice).

Mine has Pizza Monday, too (as well as a Bagel Tuesday, I think). I normally workout in the mornings on Mondays, so i had never been to one until a few months ago. It was FUNNY! I should preface that I live in S Florida with a lot of senior citizens. Somehow they all showed up when there was a free meal! I don't think any of them worked out that evening, but they definitely had some pizza!
    At $10 a month that is cheap for pizza 4 times a month.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

At $10 a month that is cheap for pizza 4 times a month.

LOL! Only the first Monday of the month. And I think the bagels are the second Tuesday of the month. :smile:
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm a black member as my son would occasionally go with me. I love this gym! We have a Gold's by us also that I will go with a friend but I hate that place. Too many showoffs and people to make me self concious in Gold's!! At PF I always feel comfortable. I think they all do this, but I recomend working with one of the trainers to show you the weight machines if you plan on using them. She went through each machine individually and set them up with the correct form (setting #'s) and weight amt on each. I may look like a dork but I still carry that piece of paper around with me so I keep track of what I'm doing each day and weight level. The trainer even said that the majority of people are using the machines with the incorrect form, therefore sometimes sabotaging their efforts. Good luck!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    [It is a nice gym. Wish we had them here.

You do, check again :wink:
    Yeah this is about 30 min away. Not practical.. but thanks.

You sure there isn't one next to the Starbucks? (note I have no idea where you actually live)
  • ladioffaith
    Options
    Well I am a member too and even though Laura and her husband and I go there sometimes together, I mostly do it by myself. It's 20 minutes from home and work, but there are no gyms by my house and the ones by my work are CRAZY overpriced. Plus my boss works at the one near my office. Can you say AWKWARD?

I don't get there as often as I should but I try to do more every time I am there!

The "Pizza Monday" and "Bagel Tuesday" ... I remember seeing that, and the "cupcake" thing (it's a Facebook thing) and asked the guy there, "Doesn't that defeat the purpose?" Oh well, only one day!
  • justal313
    Options
    Well I am a member too and even though Laura and her husband and I go there sometimes together, I mostly do it by myself. It's 20 minutes from home and work, but there are no gyms by my house and the ones by my work are CRAZY overpriced. Plus my boss works at the one near my office. Can you say AWKWARD?

I don't get there as often as I should but I try to do more every time I am there!

The "Pizza Monday" and "Bagel Tuesday" ... I remember seeing that, and the "cupcake" thing (it's a Facebook thing) and asked the guy there, "Doesn't that defeat the purpose?" Oh well, only one day!

I either go running outside or late late on the pizza monday because the gym is PACKED with people you never see there the other 27-30 days a month. It was super convienient when I had to choose between cooking or going to the gym before I went out. Dinner that night was 2 slices of pizza and I got to the gym before I went out.

That being said, I have been known to grab a couple of slices on my way out to have for lunch on tuesday. Note I didn't say with lunch but rather for lunch. Two slices of cheese or pepper/onion pizza isn't horrifically bad for you. Now if you go in, eat 3 slices of the pepperoni or sausage&ham pizza and then go home and have dinner, well then you probably have other bad habits and won't cancel the gym membership you only take advantage of one monday night a month.
  • lcoulter417
    Options
    This topic is making me go get my membership tomorrow in Ann Arbor!!! I am so excited to join. My husband and I are going to join together with this $10/$20.00 deal!! I am going to do the 20.00 deal for tanning and I think he will want to do the 10.00 plan. Still not bad though. I went to a gym in Chelsea that was 111.00 for two people!!!!!!!!! It was SO expensive!!!!!
  • jgershman
    Options
    i like my PF. i like going early in the morning before it gets crowded. the price is good. just be aware that once a year they charge $39.99, your PF should let you know in advance what month they are doing it! i have a black card membership, i got it so i could tan at my gym. i've yet to venture to other PF's. but my bestie is opening one in chicago, so i'm hoping to get there next year!
  • kenan_k
    kenan_k Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Currently I use the Ypsilanti one. I have been to the one in Madison Heights/Troy as well (nicer in my opinion but the owner has a thing against scales...).

Unless you think you'll have a reason to use the other locations or plan on buying your water/hydration from them every workout, I'd stick to the basic. I got the Black Card because I wanted to take advantage of their tanning booths before a vacation earlier this year, and haven't used them since.
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    It's a pretty decent gym, imo.

I prefer 24 hour fitness, and may switch in the near future, but that is because I like having the swimming pool, sauna and classes at 24 hour fitness.

Planet does not have group classes such as yoga, zumba etc.

However, they do have personal trainers to help you with learning the weights/coming up with a weightloss plan, etc. My gym is always really clean, and the people there are laid back. Plus, you get free pizza once a month. Who wouldn't want that? ;)
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    I've been going to the local one here in Mooresville for over a year. Since they opened!! I love it, completely. Amazing for beginnings, trainers who can help, quick classes for those in a rush and the machines are plentiful! The free pizza and bagel days do seem counterproductive, but I see it simply as a test of will. If I can't say no to a pizza at the gym, then I'm not fully committed. I literally just walk by and never even look. Not to mention the LAST thing I want after sweating for two hours is pizza. Bleck!!

But seriously, I completely recommend it. Great gym for a great price
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I love my Planet Fitness (in MO). I go early (5am), and it's pretty empty, but at 6pm it's crazy-busy! Their big focus is cardio, and that worked great for me in the beginning, but I am starting to see their flaws now. No scales, no tape measures, and restrictions on weight lifting (no grunting, no deadlifts, only Smith Machines for benching, etc). If you think too much about their big "No Judgment Zone" motto you'll see the hypocrisy, but...it's just a gym. I try not to think about their silly "lunk alarm" too much and just be grateful for the $10/month gym that's close to my house.

And I'm a 5'4" girl with pigtails, so nobody's pulled the lunk alarm on me yet, even when I do grunt. :)

Oh and I love free food in any form. So you know...that's a win in my book.
  • justal313
    Options
    I love my Planet Fitness (in MO). I go early (5am), and it's pretty empty, but at 6pm it's crazy-busy! Their big focus is cardio, and that worked great for me in the beginning, but I am starting to see their flaws now. No scales, no tape measures, and restrictions on weight lifting (no grunting, no deadlifts, only Smith Machines for benching, etc). If you think too much about their big "No Judgment Zone" motto you'll see the hypocrisy, but...it's just a gym. I try not to think about their silly "lunk alarm" too much and just be grateful for the $10/month gym that's close to my house.

And I'm a 5'4" girl with pigtails, so nobody's pulled the lunk alarm on me yet, even when I do grunt. :)

Oh and I love free food in any form. So you know...that's a win in my book.

The only time I've seen the lunk alarm go off is after a pass interference call went against the patriots on the TV and my buddy let out a very long and very loud string of profanities.