Sugar Cravings

Options
Hey guys

So I've only been at this for a short while, but what I'm finding very dificult is not keeping my calories below the target, I lead a rather active life, but keeping my sugar within check. I am almost always over my sugar goal for the day, and even though most of these are 'hidden' within salty foods, I also crave it.

I find myself waking up to a craving for something sweet, and cannot go through the day without some sugar. Does anyone have any tips for me? What is sweet but won't make me surpass my sugar limit? And why is it important to look at my sugar intake when some sweet things are very low in fat.

This is my first topic, so forgive me.

Thank you

Replies

• cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I swapped out the sugar for potassium to be visiable on my tracker. I was always over my sugar and it was usually from fruit. I think, and this is totally a personal opinion and not based on anything scientific or researched at all, that the sugar intake is set way to low on MFP. That's why I just don't look at it.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    As to the 'why', sugar and carbs spike your insulin, which has negative effects on fat deposition and controls how and when fat is burned v. stored. Complex sugars and carbs are digested more slowly, so don't affect it the same way, but MFP doesn't distinguish that. So raw honey and beans are treated the same way. It's a limitation in the database.

I find the more sugar I eat, the more sugar I want. I've always drunk coffee with sugar and cream, but dropped both (and drank really good coffee) since being on MFP. I only have it with cream and sugar now when I'm out at a diner. I never drank soda, that hasn't been an issue for me.

When I want something sweet I go for something small with intense flavor:

candied ginger
    one piece of Ritter dark chocolate with hazelnuts
    one spoon of ice cream

All of them are under 35 calories

My husband eats jelly beans one at a time. 10 calories each.

Often, I find it's better to just skip it though. I eat cashews instead, again, five or 6 at a time. Protein helps and doesn't give me cravings.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    When you crave sugar, start with a glass of water. I've found that often when I'm thirsty I'll want something sweet. Sometimes I add in crystal light (I use the to-go packs and put one in 3 cups of water instead of 2). If you still are craving something sweet, go for fruit first.

It's okay to indulge a bit. You can't always deny yourself those treats. But be very deliberate about it when you indulge. Make sure it's worth it (don't just randomly munch on whatever cookies or whatever are around) and eat slowly. You'll get to enjoy it longer without more calories :smile:
  • SassyClassyandALittleBadAssy
    Options
    I have an insane sweet tooth too! I've found that finding a good, long-lasting, sugar free gum helps me. It gives me the sweet flavor and lets me mindlessly chomp away without racking up the calories. That and water, water, water! Good luck!
  • Alice_H
    Alice_H Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Try upping your protein. It'll help stabilize your blood sugar so you're not peaking and crashing as much.
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I don't track my sugar intake, only my cals. But I also suffer with an insane sweet tooth. I find super sweet fruits like a very ripe pineapple help a lot. A cup of ripe pineapple always helps and is pretty low in cals.
  • Aelita_92
    Options
    I'm pretty sure most people go over their sugar goal, it's so hard not to in this day and age with all this processed food! I aim to keep my sugar under 50g a day, rather than the 30g it suggests. Perhaps eat fruit if you crave sugar :) fruit is natural sugar so it's perfectly fine for you, no matter how much 'sugar' it has.

Over the past year I've managed to reduce my sugar intake dramatically, and it's true what they say: the less you have, the less you crave! However I do make sure I have something sweet every day. I usually have a soy/skinny chai latte at morning tea break maybe 4 days a week (I know, it's terribly unhealthy :( but if I have that I don't feel like i need sugar for the rest of the day, and it's free xD I'll change that bad habit soon). You could have a sugar free low fat milk drink such as a recipe I found where you gently heat milk with a vanilla bean in it and it tastes pretty good :D

One thing I used to do was make chocolate raw balls (nuts, peanut butter (healthy fats!), hazelnut meal, unsweetened cocoa, agave/honey, coconut etc mixed and rolled into balls - you can make them out of anything seriously) and I'd eat one after dinner.
    Another thing I have found to work is to tell yourself that you'll have a dessert/treat in half an hour, usually you forget about it.

Just a friendly note about gum, it's a laxative and tends to make me bloat (as it does many people) but if you have no problems with gum then go for it!

I hope I helped you in some way :D