Working out in Flip Flops

Options
Last night, I saw a guy doing deadlifts with a 40lb barbell, he moved on to the decline crunch bench and took off his sandals to be more comfortable on the bench.

Then he proceeded to the Knee/Leg Raise chair - he was swinging his feet all over the place. lol So strange.

How do you guys feel about this?

What is your go to footwear for weightlifting?

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't effect me, I try not to care what other people do.
  • RosaC773
    RosaC773 Posts: 126
    Options
    At first I didn't care, then he started swinging his feet near my face.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't do it for health and safety reasons. But, it wouldn't bother me if someone else was.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    At first I didn't care, then he started swinging his feet near my face.

That would gross me out....I'd probably just go find a different area to work out until he was out of the area.
  • LoganStrength
    Options
    I personally wouldn't do it for health and safety reasons. But, it wouldn't bother me if someone else was.

You would think the gym would have a policy for that reason.
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    To me, that sounds very unsafe. I feel like you wouldn't get good traction or support out of sandals, which could then lead to injury. Nevermind if he drops a weight! But, to each his own, I guess.
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    think of the germs he is exposing his feet to. Especially if he has a crack in his feet anywhere.....It's his feet....I'd just move who cares what others do. If I was going to the gym to workout that would be what I was there for. Let him collect all the germs he wants.
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I would think some kind of safety issue. Dropping a plate on his bare foot or a toe getting caught in a moving part. Shoes keep your toes safe. Let's note even talk about the germs < cringe >
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Gyms have policies to protect members and also to keep members feeling comfortable about other members behavior. I'm pretty sure proper attire on feet would be covered. Maybe no one noticed? I'd walk away and either find a different spot to work or I'd say something to a manager if it truly was unsafe.
  • Blown_Away1
    Blown_Away1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Poor support for that person's feet and back.

When he swung his feet by your face he showed no consideration for your space.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I lift at home -- barefoot.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I lift at home, and typically do it barefoot or in my bedroom slippers that are Ugg type booties. My sneakers aren't good for lifting.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    i take my shoes off when i deadlift and squat...but i have socks on i would never be barefoot in a gym.. i need some of those cool toe-shoe things but then id be even more of a douchbag than i already am.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It's one thing to workout barefoot at home - I usually do that too since I'm more comfy that way. But we're talking about someone lifting weights in a public gym with no shoes on. Not only would that possibly be a safety/liability issue for the gym but it's unsanitary for this guy and others. Blech! I'd check with the gym staff about their footwear policy. If there isn't one, I'd just ignore him and hope he doesn't hurt himself. If there is one, I'd let them know he's violating the rule and grossing you (and probably others) out.
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    i take my shoes off when i deadlift and squat...but i have socks on i would never be barefoot in a gym.. i need some of those cool toe-shoe things but then id be even more of a douchbag than i already am.

The VFFs are like alcohol, they only serve to amplify your current level of douchiness or coolness. Rest assured, I'm no douche when I wear mine on leg day. :wink:
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd laugh my hiney off when he drops a weight on his toe...b/c he'll wish he had a little bit of SHOE to protect his toes before they got squashed...but hey that's just me. It's going to hurt either way and if he stubs his toe on a bench, well...again going to sting worse not having a shoe on, actually, might not hurt if he was wearing cross trainers, probably only stub the rubber sole. But...who am I?

I wouldn't weight train w/out my cross trainers on...btw - I have a weight room set up at home (a full gym) and I ALWAYS wear shoes in there unless I'm only going in to do stretching; but if my husband was in there working out too...I'd wear shoes to stretch too...don't want smashed toes. We did put in 1" rubber floors in the gym.
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I saw a guy yesterday at the gym lifting weights with bare feet. And all I thought was how sorry he'd be if a weight fell on his foot! Plus just thinking of sanitary issues - walking barefoot around on the dirty gym floor - yuck!

And I work out at one of those big nat'l chain gyms so surprised they even allow it.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

The VFFs are like alcohol, they only serve to amplify your current level of douchiness or coolness. Rest assured, I'm no douche when I wear mine on leg day. :wink:

lol prolly true.. just dont walk around in them like every day...its the equivalent of wearing a bluetooth in public get those jerk vibes.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I work out in my Vibrams. They are awesome

...and ugly as all get out.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I work out in my Vibrams. They are awesome

...and ugly as all get out.

Ugly is an understatement.