Breakfast for upset stomach

Options
melduf
melduf Posts: 468 Member
Hi everyone,
I'm pregnant and have morning sickness. I found tricks that help and I'm able to eat a light breakfast. The thing is, I have a whole hour of car before I get to work. And I get car sick in the traffic, because by then, my stomach is almost empty, and then... well let's say that what's left of my breakfast ends up in the parking lot more often then not.
So, do any of you have suggestions for food that would be easy on my upset stomach but would fill me up enough to last an hour?
Thanks!

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    For an upset stomach, carby/starchy things help me, like crackers. For some reason, Triscuits always sit well in my sick stomach.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I know ginger is good for settling stomachs, not sure how you could incorporate that into breakfast, but maybe if you made a ginger smoothie you could sip it on your long car ride.
  • 1sophiesophie
    1sophiesophie Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    This is a very personal thing, I guess - but my suggestion would be porridge (the chopped oatmeal can be ready in the microwave in 2 minutes if you are rushing before work). You can keep the flavour very bland, so it doesn't make you feel sick, but it is warming and comforting and will certainly fill you up. Hope you get over this soon.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    dry cereal helped when i was morning sick
  • melduf
    Options
    I take crackers before getting up to help setlle my stomach. But then, I can't survive on those alone, right? I need something a little bit more consistent.
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Maybe try some greek yogurt with some kind of fruit, honey or granola? You don't have to eat that much of it to feel full because of the high protein in it.
  • melduf
    Options
    I know ginger is good for settling stomachs, not sure how you could incorporate that into breakfast, but maybe if you made a ginger smoothie you could sip it on your long car ride.

I keep ginger cookies in the car. They help... most of the time! But I find they taste awfull. So I'm not really tempted to eat more.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Dry Cheerios always help settle my tummy, and I remember munching on them when I was preggers. Small portions of Cream of Wheat cereal helped too. I hope you find something that works, and that this stage passes quickly for you!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    While protein is filling, it is harder to digest. This is why the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce and toast) and limited proteins are recommended for when you have a sick tummy. So you may just need to stick to the carby stuff like crackers for now and maybe bring some greek yogurt or something with you for later in the day when your tummy settles. Along with ginger, I've heard that those root beer barrel candies can help ease stomach upset. One of my friends preferred Canada Dry during her 1st trimester because it's made with 100% ginger so it's supposedly better than the other brands.
  • melduf
    Options
    One of my friends preferred Canada Dry during her 1st trimester because it's made with 100% ginger so it's supposedly better than the other brands.

A friend of mine suggested that too, but I don't like carbonated sof drinks... I'll try it anyway, but most likely, hubby is gonna end up drinking it! ahah