Snack for 5am workout? Go on Empty?

Options
2»

Replies

• ardorrequiem
    Options
    I would say that if you can, you shouldn't eat before you work out. Not only can you get cramps of a wretchedly unpleasant sort, but it can prevent fat burning. Dr. Mercola has some great information on his website about that. I can't link you because of the forum rules but if you want some info message me!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    It's totally up to you. I get up at 3:45 am to workout and I go on empty whether I'm running, lifting, or doing a video.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5am to work out. It's the only real "Me time" I have to get a good workout in. Some mornings I feel a little hungry when I get up and will eat something super quick right before my workout. I don't have time to let it diget (lol). I have been doing a tablespoon of powdered peanut butter on 3 reduced fat triscuits. Sometimes maybe I'll eat a 1/2 a banana instead. Sometimes, I won't eat anything. I always will drink water before and durring.

So, my questions are: Do you eat first?; What do you eat?

I read a fitness magazine article that said studies used to say not to eat. Now they say you burn more calories if you do eat 15-20 minutes before. I don't have 15-20 minutes of time to wait until my workout. There is so much "do this, not that" information out there.

I would choose whichever method gives you the greatest:

a) personal satisfaction
    and
    b) workout performance

This is absolutely not a one-size-fits-all answer. I enjoy training fasted, others hate it.

^^ Agree
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    If I ate before an early morning work out I would end up bringing it back up. Water only for me.
  • sltapp
    Options
    I also have half a banana then a proper breakfast afterwards. Works for me.
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I've always heard to workout before you eat. So I do just that.

Actually I take my green tea supplement (for energy) with a bottle of water and then go work out. The water keeps me "full" and hydrated during my workout. Then after I'm done, I try to eat within 30 minutes after my workout.
  • Jester522
    Options

a) personal satisfaction
    and
    b) workout performance

This is absolutely not a one-size-fits-all answer. I enjoy training fasted, others hate it.

This. My pumps are way better when fasted but mentally I feel more in it with some calories in me. Call it my sword and shield when entering battle.

I would avoid fats, a small protein and carb meal is better for performance. More simple forms of carbs are better pre workout so that banana is a good choice. In low carb cycles of my diet I'll switch to MCTs like coconut oil.
  • wallerbear
    wallerbear Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:00 - 4:15 and begin training by 4:30. I don't normally eat anything before I start and then I usually have a protein shake or whole wheat bagel with peanutbutter after my workout. Several years ago when I was working out early, I would sometimes eat a boiled egg on the way to the gym and then have a protein shake after. But I was doing that an hour later than my schedule allows now. I'm not usually very hungry when I first wake up, and 4:00 is pretty darn early for me to think about food...haha!
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    For me it totally depends on the activity/duration. If I'm working out for less than an hour (like doing an INSANITY video in my basement), I won't eat. If I'm heading out for a long mountain bike ride or a long run, I eat something that sticks with me, like oatmeal, otherwise I get jittery and lightheaded.
  • annahuebscher
    Options
    If you can handle it I don't see any harm in skipping breakfast. I do sometimes, but overall if I don't eat within an hour of waking up I get super nauseous, so its counterproductive to my workouts.
    I'll make a small protein shake, or half a banana, or yogurt. Something light.
  • TuDominicano
    TuDominicano Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    some go with a protein drink before working out. It's up to you and what's going to work for you. Try it for a few days and see how it goes.
  • TuDominicano
    TuDominicano Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    on point, well said.

a) personal satisfaction
    and
    b) workout performance

This. My pumps are way better when fasted but mentally I feel more in it with some calories in me. Call it my sword and shield when entering battle.

I would avoid fats, a small protein and carb meal is better for performance. More simple forms of carbs are better pre workout so that banana is a good choice. In low carb cycles of my diet I'll switch to MCTs like coconut oil.
  • Jester522
    Options
    some go with a protein drink before working out. It's up to you and what's going to work for you. Try it for a few days and see how it goes.

When it comes to shakes, take em before not after. The amino acid pool has good cognitive effects on training and keep fatigue from setting in by offsetting the BCAA-tryptophan balance in the blood brain barrier. Too much food in the system robs the rest of the body from much needed oxygen in the blood stream and causes cramps while the stomach competes with the muscles. So not too much food.
  • lisamariepickering
    Options
    I wake up famished and can't get to the gym until about 2 hours later, so I just eat a regular breakfast - cream of wheat with protein powder or an egg sandwich - with coffee. I usually eat about an hour before I get to the gym, so my food has a chance to settle a bit. If I don't eat before I go to the gym, I feel nauseous and light headed during my workout. I usually have a small protein snack afterwards. But, as everyone else has said, it's really up to the individual. Try it one way and if you don't like it, try the other way.
  • bowser625
    bowser625 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Sips of water for me only. If I eat before, I can FEEL the food in my stomach and it almost makes me sick. But I have to eat after I'm done working out within 15 minutes or I'm very hungry....
  • myownadvice
    myownadvice Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It looks like you've been given plenty of advice here. It really does come down to a personal preference and finding what works best for you.

My solution (for me)-I need a little something before my workout but don't like how I feel when I eat first so I use a protein drink (I like EAS AdvantEdge) instead of actual food. I drink half of it before my workout plus about 1/2 glass of water then finish the rest after my workout with another glass of water. My actual breakfast comes after I shower. :wink: