THE GROUND IS LAVA ~!

Options
When you're running on your usual route, and you want so badly to stop, but you come across that one stretch - you know the one - the one that's bubbling, belching lava. You know you have to keep running, otherwise you'll BURN UP AND DIE.

...and other such mind games to keep you going when you want so badly to stop. :laugh:

I'm a beginner runner and I enjoy playing little games to keep myself going. I still have to slow to a walk regularly to catch my breath, but not if

1. There's another runner in my sight - have to keep going!
2. There's someone outside, taking out the trash/watering their lawn/etc - keep running until you're past them!
3. THE ROAD IS LAVA HERE, I CAN'T STOP UNTIL I'M AT THE BRIDGE

What silly games do you do to push yourself while running (or doing any cardio, for that matter)? :tongue:

This silly post brought to you by Incorgnito Inc, who would like to wish everyone a happy Friday Eve! :drinker:

Replies

• Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I play the "How much longer can I run before it feels like my lungs are going to shrivel up and die and somebody will have to pick me up off of the road and bring me to the hospital" game.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    When I'm planking, I imagine the ground/floor is lava and someone is holding a gun to my head to hold it longer.
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Brilliant ideas! Never thought of them at all! I must lead a very boring interior life....*sigh*
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    today as I was running past a field with tall grass at 5:15 am, I played the "I know someone is in there waiting to grab me, so I need to run past this field instead of walk past it..." . I pretty much play that game my entire run since it's so dark out now....
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    Options
    Great idea! Although I totally thought this was going to refer to the game we played when we were children!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Great idea! Although I totally thought this was going to refer to the game we played when we were children!

It sort of does. I just have ulterior (fitness) motives now. :laugh: Trying to make being an adult suck a little less.
  • crossroad2012
    crossroad2012 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My dog is loose and running towards the street! (for the sprinting part of intervals)
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I play the "if I'm not on the ground, I'm not trying hard enough" game...
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options

It sort of does. I just have ulterior (fitness) motives now. :laugh: Trying to make being an adult suck a little less.

This is always admirable. I'm not a runner yet, but I like have a whole Zelda-themed system to track my goals. It makes doing adult things nerdy and awesome.
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    If you are ever in a park in Ohio, and you see a very tall, big guy "running" very slowly saying out loud, "Just keep running, just keep running, just keep running" in a Dori like voice......Make sure you say hello to me.
  • 1sophiesophie
    1sophiesophie Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Your lava game is a lot more interesting than mine. When I'm on the various gym "machines", I "play" with the maths, constantly setting myself mini goals until the total time is up - e.g. "I burned an average of 10 calories per minute for the last mile, if I hang on at that pace until 4.3 of those little "progress bars" on my screen have been gobbled down, then that is half of the sneakycroissant that I gobbled this morning, GONE".

See - not very interesting, but it keeps my motivation up!
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    LOL - I play games too.

1. Car or person is in sight - have to run till they pass
    2. I just have to make it to the next street sign
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    No games (though I love the lava idea) but when I want to quit, I'll think to myself "is it my legs or my mind?". 99.9999% of the time it's my mind...so I keep going.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

This is always admirable. I'm not a runner yet, but I like have a whole Zelda-themed system to track my goals. It makes doing adult things nerdy and awesome.

TELL ME MORE.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    You live in a volcano OP?
  • 1sophiesophie
    1sophiesophie Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    If you are ever in a park in Ohio, and you see a very tall, big guy "running" very slowly saying out loud, "Just keep running, just keep running, just keep running" in a Dori like voice......Make sure you say hello to me.

Do you speak whale too? I'm just learning.
  • Rhia55
    Rhia55 Posts: 247
    Options

LOL Will do!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I imagine I'm dancing. I keep time to the music, and if I have a half mile left, I tell myself, "That's less than 5 minutes. I can keep dancing for five more minutes... that's just like one long song!"
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options

ha ha, I would travel across country just to say hi cause you funny!
  • Rhia55
    Rhia55 Posts: 247
    Options
    I don't play this kind of game per se, but I prefer going out walking or going hiking to working out at home, for the simple reason that I can't stop. At home there is that couch beckoning at me when I'm tired and out of breath. But out walking or hiking, you can rest but you can't totally stop because you have to get back to the car or get back home.