Insanity vs P90X

Options
Hi MFP'ers! I just wanted to get some info from those who have completed/currently doing Insanity or P90X. I am looking to get into a new routine again! I have completed ChaLean Extreme, and currently am just rotating the workouts. I know that P90X is more cross training with weights and such, but I do like the look of Insanity too. Any recommendations/comments would be appreciated!! Thanks!

Replies

• MereBear_81
    MereBear_81 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Heya! I have done two rounds of P90X and one of Insanity (and one of ChaLEAN as well). Both are great and will really improve your fitness level. Insanity requires less daily time commitment than P90X (40-45 minutes compared to 60-90 minutes). It is much more cardio intensive and seemed to really work the lower body more than P90X. P90X is great for strength and building muscle as well as just overall fitness. Insanity is much more high impact than P90X (with the exception of maybe the P90X Plyometrics, but even that you can modify to be lower impact). I definitely recommend both. But, if you prefer cardio more, go for Insanity. If you like lifting weights more, go for P90X.
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have done both & am currently doing a hybrid of them together. Just adding on to what has already been said...they are 2 totally different programs. P90x is like CLX in that it uses the concepts of muscle fatigue & muscle confusion. However, p90x doesn't really do any compound moves. It also differs from CLX in that the workouts are longer & they are scheduled 6 days per week vs 5. P90x also differs in that it has pull-ups/chin-ups. I would label it a "complete" fitness program b/c it has a little of everything..yoga, weights, upper body, lower body, stretching, Kenpo, plyometrics..Plus a fantastic nutrition guide.

Insanity is an endurance program. You will not touch a free weight/dumbell the entire time. It is more of old school PE/football drill type stuff. Lots of plyo, lots of plank work (moving pushups, etc.), LOTS of side to side movement (so beware if you have bad knees!). Month 1 workouts are shorter & easier. Then it moves to Month 2 where they are longer & way harder. I love both programs & wouldn't give up the dvds to either! If you're really looking for something different than CLX, go for the mega challenge of Insanity. If you want to push your results from CLX to the next level, go w/p90x.
    Hope that helps! You can't go wrong either way. Just depends on what you're looking for.
  • lilangel7671
    lilangel7671 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info ladies!
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I did the Insanity workout first and I am about done with my first month of P90X. I must say if I had to choose between the two, I'd choose the insane one! I love intense cardio so even doing the P90X I run and use an elliptical. I started on Chalene and found that boring too! If you love cardio choose Insanity it also includes ab and lots of pushups! The two months go by FAST!!! Best wishes and you look super girl!!!!!!