riding stationary bike question

Options
Just wondering from people that ride a stationary bike, how soon can you ride a mile, and just wondering if my bike is telling me the truth, it is saying I can do a mile in a little less than 3 minutes...

Last night it said I did 11 miles in 30 minutes, just curious if that is accurate???

Replies

• DontWeightStartNow
    Options
    I guess it depends on how fast you're pedaling! On a non-stationary bike I can do 8 miles in 50 minutes or less. On my stationary bike I do not have a mileage reader so I'm not sure. 3 minutes seems a little fast for a mile, but then again, like I said it depends on your level of resistance and how fast you're going.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    It seems kind of fast. You would have to be pedaling at 22 mph, which is possible, but a very fast rate.
  • ChristinaG100
    ChristinaG100 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It sounds about right if you're peddling at a good pace. When I did spinning classes a while back we would do about 17-18 miles in a 45 minute class.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Yup, not too fast at no resistance. 15-18 MPH is what a reasonably fit person would average out in the wild. If you are peddling at that speed I'm sure you are getting an aerobic workout even at not resistance.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I have a recumbent stationary bike and I do about 8 - 8.5 miles in 30 minutes. I do have the resistance up a bit though.
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    This morning mine told me that I did 9 miles in 30 minutes so that would put me at about a mile in a little over 3 minutes (or so). I stayed inbetween 17.5 - 21mph.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It's not just how fast you're going but also what "gear" you're on. If you're at a higher gear or resistance level, you're going to cover more ground per rotation than if you were at a lower gear. All stationary bikes are different too. I did 10 miles a couple weeks ago...can't remember exactly how long it took but I somewhere between 35 and 40 minutes and that was at a moderate gear.
  • Denise1224
    Denise1224 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It sounds about right if you're peddling at a good pace. When I did spinning classes a while back we would do about 17-18 miles in a 45 minute class.

^^ This. Spinning is a great aerobic workout burns tons of calories and yes you can do one mile in about 3-5 min Happy riding!
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Just wondering from people that ride a stationary bike, how soon can you ride a mile, and just wondering if my bike is telling me the truth, it is saying I can do a mile in a little less than 3 minutes...

Last night it said I did 11 miles in 30 minutes, just curious if that is accurate???

I ride at 6 out of 8 resistance and at that pace. My HRM shows between 130 and 140 at that pace (depending on how many days off I've had mostly).
  • worldhurdler
    worldhurdler Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'll echo everyone else - it's very possible, but you would be going pretty fast. If you feel that matches the effort you were putting into it, then it might be accurate.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    If you're athletic or in decent shape .. maintaining a speed of 20-30 mph is not unreasonable. You certainly could do it if you set the resistance / level at 0 or as easy as it goes .. that would be like pedaling down hill .. you may not burn a ton of calories.. but pedaling would certainly burn them up.

I do a stationary bike at the gym .. I ride about 22-25 miles in 40 minutes .. really pushing my heart rate up. I'm pedaling really hard though. (and I'm not sure how accurate that machine is)

Just think about all the miles/kilometers those athletes are doing in the Tour de France .. or the Olympics .. they aren't putzing around .. they're pumping it closer to 25 mph.
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I do 10 miles in 45 minutes at moderate resistance on mine. On a real bike I don't cycle that fast, I do around 10mph on average. But on my stationary bike I don't have to negotiate other traffic, junctions and hills!
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    Well, last time I rode a 10 mile time-trial on the road I completed in 26mins 14sec, which is around 22.85mph, so on a bike on rollers, or a turbo trainer, that speed is eminently do-able - indeed yesterday, on a cycle trainer, I AVERAGED something similar for nearly a hour and half... and that was far from a "low resistance" ride... http://connect.garmin.com/activity/241101332 - average 176Watts (and a peak of over 300W) for the duration is pretty near to a normal road ride for me...
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'd trust the mileage on a gym stationary bike about as much as I trust the calorie counts on most gym machines, which is to say that they both tend to read a lot higher than reality.
  • brendaj39
    brendaj39 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    thanks for the insight, my bike does say i'm holding my speed between 22-24mph when I have it on little resistance. When I'm "going up hill" it drops down to 15mph...When I do add quite more resistance i can't go that fast. I know riding a stationary bike compared to riding outside is alot different. I'm just happy with my self that I am able to ride for 30-45 mintues without stopping and taking breaks....and not "killing over" anymore! Plus it works off alot of stress at the end of the day!!! thanks again!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I can't do the stationary bike. It seems no matter how I adjust the seat, it makes my lower back really hurt. I just couldn't stay on for more than 3 minutes due to the pain.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I did 16+ over 90 minutes on my bike. But my pedaling isnt a constant speed. I range anywhere from 10mph to 14mph at a resistance setting of 8. I speed up, slow down, speed up again. I have a recumbent stationary bike....I cant use regular saddle style stationary bikes...at least not at THIS stage of my weight loss.
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I can't do the stationary bike. It seems no matter how I adjust the seat, it makes my lower back really hurt. I just couldn't stay on for more than 3 minutes due to the pain.

I have the recumbent style bike so you sit like normal with your legs out in front of you.
  • Ibelievenme2
    Ibelievenme2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options

I have the recumbent style bike so you sit like normal with your legs out in front of you.
    I have back problems too. I just purchase an old stationary bike. It remind you of the old banana seat bikes with the high handle bars, but it has a nice wide seat. I started off with 15 minutes at 12 mph. So far it didn't hurt my back. You may need to try a different one like the person above said they had a recumbent bike. They are nice.
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    30 mins for 10 miles is very possible. Amateur cyclists who do 10 mile time trials would do them between 30 and 20 mins, depending on how good they are. That's quite a generalised statement, but it adds credibility to your results. :smile: