1/2 Marathon tips needed please

Options
I have decided to starting Training for a 1/2 marathon that is in April.

I found a training schedule that I have started to follow but I didn't know if any of you running experts had some tips of the trade you could share.

This will be my first 1/2 and I'm scared beyond belief!!!! LOL

Thanks so much!

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    how much are you running now?
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    YAY!! I'm doing my first 1/2 in July next year, too!

Do you have a running buddy? My sister and her friend are running with me. Even with our different locations, we'll be using Endomondo to help track our training progress. Might be something you'll want to look into.

If anything, you'll have me!

Good luck!
  • goodfido
    goodfido Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Good Running shoes are key. Go have yourself fitted if you haven't done so already.

Listen to your body, you will have good running days and bad, don't get discouraged on a bad day.

Enjoy the experience. It's such a WONDERFUL feeling of accomplishment once you cross that finish line!
  • nnoifeld
    nnoifeld Posts: 116
    Options
    I'm doing my first half marathon in March! I just finished doing a 10k last weekend, and although I thought I was gonna die, it was the greatest feeling ever to finish! So I am definitely looking forward to the next one!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Once you get up past 6 miles in training, you're going to want to start figuring out what fuels and hydration work for you. I found that a larabar lasts me 13 miles. I use a camelback hydration pack (70 oz bladder), and put nuun electrolyte tablets in it (tropical and fruit punch are my fave flavors). It's also nice cuz I can carry a very well stocked first aid kit! The drawback is that you're lugging an extra 8 lbs on your back and might have some sore traps/shoulders for a day or so.

I did 2 half marathons this summer in vibrams while pregnant. You can totally do it! The longest race I had completed prior to training was 6k. I did a 10k race during training, and we alternated long runs and short runs every weekend. During the week we kept to going as far as we could within a specific time limit 3 days a week. I did the Jeff Galloway run-walk-run program. Your legs stay fresher longer because you're constantly switching muscle groups.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Figure out where you want to be in April, and work your way back from there.

I second running shoes.

I've done two half marathons, mostly walking, and I recommend just following the training guide, getting as many people involved as you can, and just be proud of the fact that you will be finishing ahead of every single person who stayed at home on the couch.

I think the most important thing to remember is that (unless you're secretly some elite Kenyan) the only person you're really competing against is yourself.
  • Mceastes
    Mceastes Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I've done several halfs and the best tip I can give you is find a good training plan and stick to it. Don't deviate - trust the plan. I recommend Hal Higdon's plans. I'm using his marathon training plan now for the Dallas Marathon in December, but there are many good training plans out there that will do the job. Whenever I've done a long distance like a half and followed a training plan, I've PR'd. When I've winged it or made too many modifications to the plan, I have not done as well.

Also, never try anything new on race day. Test out your socks, shoes, sports bra, clothes, headband, etc. as well as your fuel for during the race all throughout your training. When you find something that works for you, stick to it and don't modify it on race day. Once, the night before a marathon, a girlfriend got me new socks as a good luck gift and I wore them during the race and got horrible blisters cause they slipped down on my heel, they were a touch too small. Never wear or eat anything new, that's what training is for - to test everything out so you are comfortable and confident on race day.

GOOD LUCK!!! :happy:
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I've only run a 5k so far. So I have a long way to go. :)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I've only run a 5k so far. So I have a long way to go. :)

Awesome. I would really recommend getting fitted for proper running shoes.. from a running store. I echo the sentiment from the others that have posted already too. Lock down a training plan and stick to it, regardless. I use some of the built in training that is offered through Runkeeper.

I started with a 5k, an 8k after, and have been working on just running and training more. Best of luck and happy trails!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Other than shoes.........

Find a training plan that suits your fitness level. Check out Hal Higdon's plans, his Novice 1 half marathon plan starts at a pretty gentle volume. It's a 12 week plan but starting sooner rather than later will give you the luxury of doubling up weeks which, IMO, is a great way to build a solid aerobic base and progress at a conservative pace.

One of the keys to success (in many aspect of life, not just running) is consistency, get out running 3 or 4 times each week without fail. Be patient, most running injuries come from doing too much, too soon, too fast.

If you get a chance, try to sign up for a 10K race between now and race day just to give you a taste of a longer race.

Most importantly, learn to control your pace. Slow and steady may not get you to the podium but it will get you across the finish line with a smile on your face.
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Everyone has wonderful advise.

I can only add, find what works for you and go for it.

Have fun and good luck!
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice above.

Let me add: don't overdo it. Make sure that if your plan calls for a day off from running, that you actually don't run (or lift or bike or ski) that day. Your body needs a day or two each week to recover from the training that you do. Sometimes that takes as much discipline as the training itself.
  • cldaugherty
    cldaugherty Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Don't go into with a specific time that you want to finish. This will give you added stress and anxiety. Follow the plan, but try different running routes with varies hills, etc. I often got bored with the same scenery.
    I have now done two 1/2 and was totally scared for the first one and I completed it with an injury. It can be done and I had only ran a 5K prior to that as well.
    Let the pace be with you.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    I recently completed a half as training for the full (net spring). I found a training plan and stuck to it like glue with my training partner. Our longest training run was 12 miles, which is not unusually long for a beginner half marathon plan. Sticking to the plan, especially one that takes up up 12 miles, you realize that if you can run 10, 11, 12 miles, you can totally do 13.1. Sticking to a training program will also give you an estimate of a very organic feeling finish time - not saying you should push for a time, but you should know how long it will take you.

The only other tips I can think to give that I haven't seen here:

1. Don't stress if you break a rule of thumb or expert advice. So if you don't get great sleep the night before, or if you eat something new for the first time on race day, or if you have to wear new socks day of - don't sweat it. Be smart (don't eat something you know you're allergic to the night before, don't intentionally stay up all night drinking, etc), but don't be stressed. Stuff happens when you party naked. Roll with it.

2. If you can, at least drive the course before race day. We had planned on our long run being the course, but due to logistics we ran locally instead. This meant we were totally unprepared for the "gentle slope between miles 5 and 7" - gentle like a cliff. Had we driven it, we would have been a little better prepared mentally, and might have tried to work in more downhills on our training runs. That being said, we still finished it ahead of what we were expecting. I think we could have finished faster had we known the course better. Ideal is training on the actual course regularly.

3. The "taper" in your training plan may make you cranky (thanks to MFP community for helping me recognize that is perfectly normal!). My training partner loved the taper as a lovely break from hard training. I wanted to kill everybody, all the time, then go sprint a marathon. Knowing how I react to the taper now, I'm training up on my bike so that I can cross train to vent off some of that "taper rage" for future races. Having an enjoyable cross training sport (avoid anything with side-to-side motions like basket ball) can help tremendously.

4. Plan your recovery, then be flexible. During my taper rage, I wanted to sign up for all these other races the following weekends (actually doing a 15 mile race this weekend as a result, kinda regretting that but we'll see how it goes). Luckily my training partner and husband came to my rescue and got me to take a proper rest for at least a week or so. I did have my shoes on the next day, but didn't push again for a week or so. My training partner took most of a week off, then came back to slow and steady. One rule of thumb (which you can break if your body tells you otherwise) is a day for every mile. If I'd not run for 13 days, I think I would have actually killed someone - but I didn't run hard or push hard. Again, cross training helps.

5. Have fun.

6. Run some more.
  • JennS19
    Options
    Ejwme: What's a "taper" I don't remember seeing anything that said this in my training schedule.

Thank you all for the awesome advice!! :) I'm getting mroe and more excited just reading what you have all said.

I guess I never thought about having to fuel my body during the race other than water but it makes sense. Do you right eat before the race or during? I so need to read more on 1/2s. I have so much to learn.

I do need a new pair of shoes. BADLY!! I'm hoping to get a nice new pair in the next few weeks and I will definitley get fitted the correct way.

I run a lot inside on my treadmill now. Do you reccomend always running inside? I live in Michigan and right now it's COLD and sometimes windy. Woudl it be ok to train mostly inside until March and then starting to run outside? or would that completely ruin things for me?
  • Runninglibrarian13
    Options
    Treadmill is a bit easier on your body than outside... so that's something to keep in mind. You can do outdoors even in the cold provided you dress appropriately (layers, wicking fabric,etc.)............ but on the other hand, doing some training indoors then switching to outside is also a viable way to go.. gotta do what works for you!

And tapering... thats where you gradually cut back on your mileage before the race... to give your body time to build up its glycogen stores, get your muscles all rested and raring to go come race day.
  • wildhehr2
    wildhehr2 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've done several halfs. I do a lot of my training on the treadmill, but I do suggest trying at least one run each week outside. That said, be smart about it....a broken ankle from falling on ice will definitely derail your plans. The big thing, other than shoes, is to go in without a time goal. It's your first half---a guaranteed PR. Relax and enjoy the run. Oh, and I also suggest practicing "pit stops" on your longer runs, either at your own house, a friend's, or a portapotty. Practicing with sweaty clothes will help. I have some chafing horror stories I could tell....
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Jen,

Kudos to you for signing up and getting amped to do a half marathon! Its a wonderful goal and you'll feel amazing when you achieve it. I, too, live in Michigan and run year round (regardless of weather) out of doors. I highly suggest popping off the treadmill and stepping outside for your runs. It will help you be prepared for race day conditions and also make it easier to incorporate inclines (I'm talking hills) into your training schedule. Hills are a great way to increase your running pace without having to do sprints or pace runs. And not to repeat everyone else's advice but following a training schedule, listening to your body and a proper running kit (most importantly shoes and non chaffing clothing) will help you reach your goal. Also if you do find that you have some chaffing spots on your body, there are many types of "body glide" gels/lotions/sticks that will reduce if not eliminate the chaffing areas and diaper cream will help the chaffing heal quickly.

You can do it!
  • JennS19
    Options
    Thank youi pixie mom for explaining. I did see in my training schedule the cut back in miles before the race. Thanks!
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    sorry, yeah, I forgot I had to learn about tapering too! for the half, it's often the week or two before the race, you'll see a steady dip in miles. Apparently replenishing a glycogen store makes me homicidal - I hope you have an easier time of it! Over the whole training schedule you may notice high miles one weekend, then lower miles the next, then even higher the next... that's building your mental game (different from tapering). That way, even if your longest run to date was horrible, you know you have a reprieve the next weekend. It's more common in full marathon training programs, but my half did it too.

And another thing I learned and forgot - there's a cutoff point, at least for me, where cotton won't do. In the summer, it's around 8 miles or so (for me). I never discovered it in the winter, so depending on your distances and training, you might discover it or not. It's that point at which cotton WILL chafe no matter what, and body glide, vaseline, AND technical fabrics (polyester, spandex, nylon, wool) or something else is a must.

When you discover that chafing point, blister specific bandages are your best friend.

You can do this!