How accurate are gym machines to MFP estimates?

Options
Hi All,

I use a spinner cycle and a rowing machine as part of my workouts.
If i cycle vigorously for 'say' 1 hour during a training period the computer on the machine says i have burnt approx 700 calories. If i do the same on the rowing machine i get approx 800 calories.
However, if i then programme this time and activity into MFP it estimates that I've burnt in excess of 400 calories extra than the machine says?
When i started MFP i was putting calories burnt for a particular exercise between the two but I'm unsure which is the most accurate?
As I've programmed my age, weight etc into MFP i was kinda hoping that MFP was more accurate but i don't see the point in trying to cheat myself.....:o(

Any ideas guys?

Russ

Replies

• teneh
    teneh Posts: 39
    Options
    I'm exactly the same! I think MFP is wrong, personally.
    Also, I'm not sure if it considers your weight, or gives you the same amount of calories burnt as it would for any other person on here.
  • Westy5866
    Options
    I was hoping MFP was better because you programme your weight/age in, where as a general gym machine would estimate from the 'average' person?

I would assume so anyways.....!

Either way im loosing weight but i just dont want to go over the top with the food.....:o(
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    NOT accurate , u must do the cardio and track calories burnt according to weight,height and age ... all cardio machines should have this... and even the cardio machines arnt 100% accurate but much more accurate than MPF
  • grdnr03
    grdnr03 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I'd go with what the machine displays
  • Westy5866
    Options
    Yep, thats what im gonna do, go with the machine.

Nice while it lasted though......:o)
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Neither are particularly accurate. And yes, they all seem to over estimate.
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I find MFP grossly underestimates the calories burned compared to what's on the gym equipment.

If I do an hour on the elliptical trainer, the inbuilt computer tells me I've burned about 700 calories. MFP says about 500. Same thing on the stationary bikes and rowing machine. I suspect MFP assumes you're using the equipment on the easiest level (level 1 on the machines I use). Whereas I normally have it set to level 15, where I'm understandably going to have a higher calorie burn.