european shopping and diet.

Options
2»

Replies

• YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I shop every week or 2. I buy mainly fresh foods/nonprocessed, but I honestly cannot imagine having to go to the store every single day. 1 I don't have time and 2 have you ever taken a 2 year out out in public? So much easier to plan then buy what we need for the week.

Actually, in my country it's pretty normal for parents to take kids from kindergardens and stop by at groceries to get fresh food, girls learn how to shop and play "grocery shopping " later. . Kids at 5-6 do some limited grocery shopping, like milk or bread.

I used to stop by a local farmers market every evening after work to get fresh meat and bread, greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, fresh milk and cheese. My 1st husband was very into fresh cooked food, he didnt eat any processed food or anything older than a day. Too picky! And I would buy only for this evening dinner, so it'd be like two tomatoes, and a pound of lamb or beef. The meat would literally be still warm bcs it was alive couple hours ago.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I think that if you like shopping and live near shops or greenmarkets that have fresh ingredients and can get in and out of the shop quickly (a must if you work) there's nothing wrong in shopping several times a week.

It's important not to romanticize Europe. They have super- and hypermarchés and obesity is a concern in some countries.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I go once a week (Im a Brit) BUT Ill use all the fresh stuff in the first few days making meals large enough to freeze 'leftovers' that are used later in the week. Home-made, healthy ready meals :bigsmile:
    I couldnt go shopping every day, Im an impulse shopper, it would cost me a fortune!!!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    We live in the UK but are from the Netherlands, and are in the habit of shopping daily. This is probably also a result of living in the centrally in a big city and not a suburb or village.

Although I am from Canada, my husband is Dutch. I got used to daily shopping due to necessity. Refrigerators that are typical in central Amsterdam are tiny. In Holland we bought a half loaf fresh bread daily, as well as fruit, veg and meat. In the London, where we don't have a bakery on every corner, we bake our own bread but still buy fresh fruit, veg and meat daily.

We do buy frozen fish and crustaceans, though. But that is maybe a function of not having a fishmonger nearby.