Butternut squash

Options

Replies

• gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I think I'm giving up on this vegetable. I want to like it, but every recipe I've made with it has been unsuccessful and I feel it is too sweet. Also, I feel it is way too much work to cut and fix.

Butternut squash is a fruit so thats why its sweet. I make soup and use a good spicy broth and low fat cheese to make it savory. sometime i make it sweet with cinnamon and a hint of olive oil on a pan
  • laura_lynn66
    Options
    whoops I wrote in the middle of this quote..I meant to say this recipe sounds good..the one I used was waaaaay to sweet..I will try this one!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the warm butternut squash and chickpea salad from Casa Moro (google it-- a lot of bloggers have posted the recipe)? The sweetness of the squash is tempered by the chickpeas, garlic, cilantro, and red onion. And a smoky tahini dressing ties it all together.
  • lesliefb
    lesliefb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I don't like it sweet either. Also don't like sweetened sweet potatoes. I much prefer both seasoned with butter, salt, pepper, garlic, etc. You can parboil it (boil it til it's just a wee bit less than fully cooked), then sautee with spinach, garlic, onions. Us a splash of chicken broth if it gets too dry and you don't want to add butter or oil. It's sooooo tasty.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Love butternut squash, Planted seeds in the spring and produced a load of em :)

My favorit way to have it is soup. I make it with cumin. I find the spicy hit of the cumin balances out the sweetness of the squash.

Chopped up as fries is great too. Mashed my kids aren't big fans but will eat it if I do a mix of potato and squash,(1/2- 1/2) with some butter, milk salt and pepper.
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I think I'm giving up on this vegetable. I want to like it, but every recipe I've made with it has been unsuccessful and I feel it is too sweet. Also, I feel it is way too much work to cut and fix.

Butternut squash is a fruit so thats why its sweet. I make soup and use a good spicy broth and low fat cheese to make it savory. sometime i make it sweet with cinnamon and a hint of olive oil on a pan

Well most "vegetables" are actually fruits, it's more of a term used to describe edible plants.

I don't like sweet potatoes either, which is why I think I don't like butternut squash.
  • Danam48
    Danam48 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have an old school crock pot and I can drop a whole squash and nothing else into it before I go to bed. Set it on low and in the morning I can open up the crockpot and the squash is soft to the touch. Slice it open and scoop out the goodness..done deal. Salt, butter and pepper is how I like it best. It is really satisfying!
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Pre heat oven to 400 degrees
    Cut the squash in half and spoop out the seeds. Put halves cut side down in a roasting pan with some water covering the bottom then put tinfoil over top and bake for 30-40 minutes.(till soft enough a fork can easily peirce through). While its cooking sautee onions,mushroom and garlic till tender. Take squash out when done and sprinkle with salt, pepper, allspice, garlic powder, a little chili powder and parmasean cheese. Then fill holes with onion/mushroom mixture and bake uncovered for 10-15 minutes. Enjoy:)
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

Well most "vegetables" are actually fruits, it's more of a term used to describe edible plants.

I don't like sweet potatoes either, which is why I think I don't like butternut squash.

I think butternut squash isn't quite as sweet as sweet potatoes. However, if you don't like sweet potatoes, it makes sense that you don't like squash. They are similar.
  • calimoma
    Options
    all i do is cut it in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and add olive oil, salt and pepper and roast it in the oven!! yummo!!
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to try one but didn't know how to prepare it. Looks like a lot of work just to cut the thing up. Wonder if that could count as exercise lol
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    all i do is cut it in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and add olive oil, salt and pepper and roast it in the oven!! yummo!!

That does sound good!! I'll have to get one next time I go shopping and try that.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I like butter spray, cajun seasoning, sliced green onions.
  • unicornpoop
    unicornpoop Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Just cut it up, spritz with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast at 425 for 15 minutes. It's awesome roasted!
  • HayleyHat
    Options
    Best way I've had it is stuffed with brie or blue cheese haha, but not exactly healthy! I often do fries with it, or mash.
    Or I'll buy a few mini squashes, halve them and scoop out the seeds, sprinkle with seasonings (last night I had paprika and chilli powder!) and oil spray, then bake.

Loving this thread! I'll have to try some of the recipes.
  • 4bigeasy
    4bigeasy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i had some last night and it was delicious. i cut it in half length wise, sprayed foil with cooking spray and put it on a jelly roll pan, scoop out the seeds of the squash and lay it face down on the sprayed foil. bake at 375 for about 20 minutes until it starts to get soft. i cut it in chunks and removed the skin. i sauteed a little onion and garlic in a little oil, added a few pieces of chicken breast and when the chicken was cooked, add squash cubes, some curry paste, a few raisins and a bit of water. cook a few minutes more and enjoy!
  • deedster_a
    deedster_a Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You can also use it to somewhat "healthify" macaroni and cheese and lower the calorie count.
  • AussieNikki
    AussieNikki Posts: 168 Member
    Options
  • hijude57
    hijude57 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Boil, mash, butter, salt & pepper.................that is the BEST as far as I am concerned. I've had it roasted, wasn't impressed. Had it with maple syrup...yuck.

This!!!