"We're Going Out To Eat, Don't Know Where"= panic!

Options
So in the past, I think a good deal of us wouldn't think twice about being excited to go out for a meal (If you know me, I'm a broke college student, so if I'm going with my family I'm thinking, "SWEET! Free food! Better load up!")

But now, when someone says, "We're going out to eat." I have to take deep breath and instantly think about where they're wanting to go and what I can eat there that I can still enjoy myself but not outdo myself for the week.

BUT then there's the worse, "We're going out to eat later, not sure where yet." To relate that to my school work, it's like a teacher saying, "We're going to have a pop quiz tonight. Not sure what it's going to be on, just be prepared." :noway:

I realize it's all about having a knowledge base of what's good for you and using what we learn on here to keep sane and happy, and to also leave a good amount of calories left in the day just in case. However, that doesn't mean that there's not that impending uncertainty since we're all so used to tracking everything.

Question is, “does anyone else get that instant, shock of fear and uncertainty when being told their going out to eat?” Opposed to perhaps the past when you wouldn't have thought twice about it?

Replies

• n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Yes! And when we do get there, it takes me ages to order something.
  • Stephanie_skinny
    Stephanie_skinny Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hahaha this happens to me too! So when they say I don't know yet, I'll be like just make sure it's not pizza or anything super fatty, no buffets,etc.......................please!!! LOL :laugh:
  • kaneaap
    kaneaap Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    First let me congratulate you on the weight loss! You look great! And yea, the wheels begin to turn, what can I have? But you know what? if you're not going out very often and choose wisely when you do there's no need to panic (stick to lean meats, skip the appetizer, try a broth soup, green salad w/dressing on the side & used sparingly, drink your water!). Honestly if you do go over, tomorrow's a new day and you should be able to even it out for the week. Good luck!
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    No need to panic. Take a deep breath...you've been doing this for a year now, and you know how to choose a healthy meal. Just because you don't know EXACTLY how many calories are in it, that doesn't mean you can't make a smart decision. Opt for grilled meats without a lot of sauce and steamed veggies over fries...not a problem. :)
  • TheNEWMonicaB
    TheNEWMonicaB Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I used to, but not really anymore. Thank goodness for smart phones and the fact that most restaurants now have the nutritional info posted on the website or printed on the menus. It is already a given for me that my sodium will be higher when eating out, but it is fairly easy to modify and order things that will keep the calories in check. Also, if I am asking for my order without something, I always say I am allergic to that item and they will be more conscious of making it correctly. That being said, it is most definitely easier to know where you are going in advance and plan ahead, but we have more tools now than we did many years ago that make deciding on the fly not as scary as it used to be. :happy:
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    If going out to eat is something you don't do often then you should feel free to disregard your diet for one night. It really won't set you back, and the way you're stressing over it is causing more harm than going over on calories would.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I hate when people force me to overeat
  • dreamer4
    Options
    I know it happens to me all the time! Or when the family wants to pick something up instead of cook. Totally frustrating and overly stressful!
  • dlg1467
    dlg1467 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I try to limit what else I eat that day to make up for it. Then make the best choice I can wherever we end up. If its pizza, get 1 slice, get thin crust, get veggies. add a salad. Have 1 glass of wine instead of 3 ; )
    Or - enjoy and tomorrow is another day! Work out extra hard tomorrow.
  • strangewebby
    Options
    Yes! I'm still at that stage that if I don't plan ahead and know exactly what I should get, I will order whatever looks the tastiest, regardless of calories.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    This sounds obsessive and OCD but I have a notebook with a list of local restaurants and copies of their menus or even just a sheet of paper typed with what I can eat there.

I live in a college town with tons of Mom and Pop restaurants but MOST have web pages with menus listed. The macro totals are guestimates but at least it gives me an idea of what they offer and I don't have to take hours figuring out what I can eat off the menu.

It also helps me from freaking out when suddenly everyone at work decides they want to go out for lunch and chose a place at random. I can be calm and pull out that menu and give it a look to see what I've highlighted (yes, I am that compulsive) that I can order.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Mention that you plan your meals and would like a little time to review the menu beforehand. That is also a subtle hint that a pizza parlor would not be your first choice. :wink:
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    It used to cause panic, not not anymore. I know that one meal isn't going to kill me. Also, I've learned how to make better choices so that it's not a total bomb meal. ie. get a salad or steamed veggies instead of fries along with whatever nom-tastic dinner you're having :-)
  • victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I hate when people force me to overeat

This ^

I know that no one actually "forces" me to over eat, and that I do it to myself...but when someone treats me to dinner, I feel horrible when I only eat a portion (and get full) and they just look at me like, "I just paid $__ for that, and that's all you're going to eat?"

...or maybe I'm just assuming that's how they're looking at me...hmm...
  • tdbad1
    tdbad1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Not so much.

Have to admit, except for going to Ethnic restaurants, i find most menus to be pretty similar.
    Im in Canada so maybe our restaurants are different, IDK.

One thing to remember...just cause its supper, doesn't mean you cant eat off the lunch menu. I often look there for inspiration. Soup and an wrap, sandwich and a salad. Someplaces do all day breakfast menu and have fruit cups and egg white omelettes.
    Also look to the appetizer menu, sometimes they have smaller portions of the same thing on the dinner menu although ive found too often these are deep fried foods.
    Safe bet...order the chicken/fish, no sauce. baked potato, no fixings, veggie of the day, sides salad. Stay away from the deep fried stuff as much as possible. ( if you're really craving fries...steal a couple off someones plate.) sounds bland i know but it works. Plus this idea fits in the more expensive restaurants
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Why stress it? Said in a previous post, one night will NOT kill you. Why not make an allotment in your cals for the day if you are that worried about it.

Breathe in, breathe out, move on.........
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    I dont usually panic

I rarely go out to eat so when I do, I let myself have whatever I want. No soda though!
  • FullOfWinToo
    Options
    Yes, it can push a stress button for me too but I am not afraid to make suggestions to places i know can be a happy medium for me and the other people in the party. Planning for unplanned events will help over 50% of the time by finding the restaurants that are likely to be nearby and known to everyone that have their menu's online. Chili's is always my goto for that fast casual "hey let's go to lunch" last minute. And as you mentioned, the other half of the time, it's a matter of "knowing" what calories or macros you need for that meal and zero'ing in on the menu. If you weigh your food all the time, you can also get to the point where you can safely "eyeball" 4 oz of meat or a cup of vegetables.

For most folks on a calorie deficient plan.....chicken breast is your friend. No, make that your very best friend when you are on the road. Order it plain because sauces anywhere are going to be the deal breaker unless you got their menu/nutrition info and know what you are getting into.

However, a huge part of this for me is mental and getting the mindset that the time spent with my friends/family in these settings is what I'm getting out of the meal and it's not an opportunity to splurge.

Lastly but almost more important than everything else for decision making.... dont go hungry and ask that the extras like breads, biscuites, etc, are moved out from in front of you. This can be done without making others uncomfortable. I never want to sacrifce my nutrution goals in order to 100% avoid a conversation about it, but I also dont want to make my friends or family uncomfortable because i'm being a nutrition snob.

Cliffs - boyscout it and be prepared.
  • tdbad1
    tdbad1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    This sounds obsessive and OCD but I have a notebook with a list of local restaurants and copies of their menus or even just a sheet of paper typed with what I can eat there.

I live in a college town with tons of Mom and Pop restaurants but MOST have web pages with menus listed. The macro totals are guestimates but at least it gives me an idea of what they offer and I don't have to take hours figuring out what I can eat off the menu.

It also helps me from freaking out when suddenly everyone at work decides they want to go out for lunch and chose a place at random. I can be calm and pull out that menu and give it a look to see what I've highlighted (yes, I am that compulsive) that I can order.

A lot of restaurants have menus online ...plan ahead, make cheat notes. great idea
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    My first thought is always "OOOhhh yummy food!" I don't even have a tiny bit of fear

Losing weight is supposed to improve quality of life, not take away from it