Maintenance for Holidays or Keep to the Program?

Options
So this is my dilemma. I find when I visit friends or family either for work or for the holidays, not having control over what food is in the fridge or pantry, a more hectic schedule and restaurant trips out play havoc with keeping to my calories. When I am traveling (especially for work) getting in work outs is harder than I thought it would be. I find I miss days tracking when before I have been so dilligent. I find I easily eat more than I should and it is harder to stay on track.

I have lost 14 so far and I know if I push I can pass my current plateau and get back on the weight loss track. I also know that the end of the year holidays are an enormous temptation for me and I feel miserable when I deny myself and miserable when I overindulge.

So what to do? Do I keep trying to stick with the program of losing 1 lb a week even though I doubt I will have much movement over the next two months and will frequently due to travel and other holiday concerns go above my daily limit? Or do I set my calorie limit at maintenance for the weeks where either travel or the holiday makes keeping to the fitness program extremely difficult?

Thoughts, comments, and helpful hints are all appreciated. I don’t want to feel like a failure and I worry no matter which option I chose I will feel like I am conceding the fight.

Replies

• Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I'll stick to my calorie goals, but I won't go to pieces if a family dinner puts me over one day.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    So this is my dilemma. I find when I visit friends or family either for work or for the holidays, not having control over what food is in the fridge or pantry, a more hectic schedule and restaurant trips out play havoc with keeping to my calories. When I am traveling (especially for work) getting in work outs is harder than I thought it would be. I find I miss days tracking when before I have been so dilligent. I find I easily eat more than I should and it is harder to stay on track.

I have lost 14 so far and I know if I push I can pass my current plateau and get back on the weight loss track. I also know that the end of the year holidays are an enormous temptation for me and I feel miserable when I deny myself and miserable when I overindulge.

So what to do? Do I keep trying to stick with the program of losing 1 lb a week even though I doubt I will have much movement over the next two months and will frequently due to travel and other holiday concerns go above my daily limit? Or do I set my calorie limit at maintenance for the weeks where either travel or the holiday makes keeping to the fitness program extremely difficult?

Thoughts, comments, and helpful hints are all appreciated. I don’t want to feel like a failure and I worry no matter which option I chose I will feel like I am conceding the fight.

In my opinion you stick to the plan and on the actual holidays (thanksgiving, etc) you enjoy yourself.

There's a big difference between enjoying the holiday and binging for 2 months. Find that balance without abandoning your plan.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    stick with it even if its to be honsest with yourself about where those couple of pounds may have come from.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Personally I like to stick to the program as much as possible--just b/c in my office there is ALWAYS a holiday or a birthday or something that involves frosting. But I know that Christmas is different, so if you know you'll be able to come back down after staying at maintenance for a couple weeks, go for it!! Goodness knows after 14 pounds you have earned yourself a break. :) I will probably set my calories at maintenance so I don't stress myself out with all those red numbers, but I'll try to just make my treats healthy and stay under my limits if possible.

But whatever you do...don't be miserable for the holidays! Enjoy your family!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

In my opinion you stick to the plan and on the actual holidays (thanksgiving, etc) you enjoy yourself.

There's a big difference between enjoying the holiday and binging for 2 months. Find that balance without abandoning your plan.

This. Worst case scenario is that you have to rely on estimates more than usual. Still no reason why you can't keep within your calorie goals.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters, I would stick with the plan, but enjoy the family outtings, holidays, etc. as they come up.
    You don't want to change your mind set to maintenance and just over eat becuase you decided to do that. Keep with the plan 90% of the time and you will do fantastic.
  • NurseAshoRN
    NurseAshoRN Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm already thinking of ways to stick to the plan for the holidays. Some things I have come up with are making some healthy side dishes for Thanksgiving, bringing my measuring spoons/cups (Yes, I have to do that or I overindulge), start with a big salad and drink more water than alcohol (we'll see if that sticks haha). My family is really very supportive so I think I'll be alright. Getting in a few extra workouts wouldn't hurt either. You just have to plan, and then stick to it.
  • djtulppo
    djtulppo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I say stick to your plan and stop thinking you won't do it. Positive thoughts result in positive outcomes. Thanksgiving is one day, Christmas is one day, don't lump them all into a continuous holiday and you will be fine.

My plan is to continue on with my calories I am currently on and if I go over the one day of Thanksgiving, the one day of Christmas and the one day of New Years I will just work much harder at exercise to try to make up for it. I am looking at the long term goal and want to be at my goal when summer comes.

You will feel so much better about yourself and your food choices if you do this.

Good luck
  • jrsey86
    jrsey86 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    The holidays are tough, but you're making a lifestyle change. My plan over the holidays is to take a little bit of everything, but ensure that I eat healthy otherwise. The holidays are a tough time. Just do a little bit extra exercise. Best of luck! :drinker:
  • adam1885282
    adam1885282 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    When I was on vacation, I set my calories to "maintain current weight" and made sure to get in a workout every day. That gave me 400 to 700 more calories every day without "going over." On a restricted-calorie plan, 400 calories felt like an indulgence.

Each new event is a little challenge. Halloween candy, birthday meals, work lunches, etc. You’ll have to get through each one once or twice before you adjust to a new lifestyle.

Whatever you decide, don't fret. In the grand scheme, a few days of extra calories won't make you explode. You'd have to be 350 calories a day over for 10 days in a row to gain one pound of fat. Sounds like you don’t want to do that, but it will only put you one week behind.

Also, if you're at a true plateau, a few days of maintenance eating may put you back on track.
  • ldmfabric
    Options
    I always take some workout gear and running/walking shoes with me on vacation. They don't take much room and you can always find places to walk or generally a treadmill at a hotel. As I don't always run, like I do at home, I just walk longer (an hour vs 1/2 hour). I have to get u earlier than everyone else, but it's worth it and I feel better for the day.
    As far as eating out, I will go online and check the restaurants menu if possible. A lot of chains have nutrition info and I find if I can decide before I go at least several lower calorie choices to choose from, it's easier than when I'm hungry or distracted there.
    Good luck!
  • skopp18
    Options
    Nothing tastes as good as being skinny.

I think that you should try your best to stick to your calorie goal and try to do some sort of a workout.

For food, there is something potentially healthy or at least not as bad as everything else on the menu at almost every restaurant. That might mean ordering things steamed, getting a salad with dressing on the side, or taking the bun off the burger or the bread off the sandwich - basically, whatever it takes. There's also portion control. Don't go crazy on anything that is laden with calories, including desserts. You won't feel like you missed out and you won't cry because you gained 3lbs in one weekend.

For working out, find yourself a route with mapmyrun.com wherever you are and go for a run or a walk, even if it's not the workout that you always do or doesn't burn as many calories, it's better than nothing.

I don't mean this in a rude/snarky way at all, but there's really no excuse for not finding healthy options or a workout you can do if you really wanted to. It might be harder than normal, but it's possible. You might go over a bit one day and that's ok, because that's life and it happens, but planning from now to allow extra food on the holidays and the entire time you're going to be away just sounds like you're seeking validation from people that it's okay to eat because it's the holidays. And it is okay, if you don't care to gain weight.