Quit smoking yesterday - Keep me motivated

Options
So after losing 25 pounds and getting to week 4 on C25K I decided now was as good a time as any to quit smoking. Last Saturday headed to the doctor's and got my prescription for Champix and started taking it right away. I had my last cigarette yesterday at 10 in the morning and so there my quit starts. Unfortunately I have a massive chest/head cold that started earlier this week and have not been able to run so feeling a bit down. Champix has also packed on a good 5lbs which I know is purely bloating and not a true weight gain. Just thought I'd share my highs/lows of the week and reach out to this wonderful group for support and encouragement.

Replies

• carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Great job! I quit smoking (the hard way cold turkey) like 14 years ago and it was the best thing I did for myself. I did use to dream of cigs for many many years ago but don't anymore. It sure does get ahold of you! Great job - keep it up and you will feel amazing! I remember how sick I always felt, now I never do!
  • chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    The fact that you even started losing weight to get healthy is an inspiration on it's own. Add the fact that you are quitting smoking and you've become a hero to those of us with less will power. I can't speak for everyone, but I know there are a bunch of people out there who are really proud of you, myself included. Keep up the fantastic work!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    A big high five to you for taking on this challenge! I'm rooting for you.
    My husband quit smoking 7 years ago. I remember him telling me that the urge came back 6 weeks after he'd quit and stayed for about a week. It's as if the Habit comes back to attack one last time before giving up and going away. I tell you this only so you can prepare for its possible arrival (forewarned is forearmed, right?). That was the hardest time for him because he wasn't expecting it.

I am rooting for you and wish you a successful quitting.
  • thebuz
    thebuz Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    The fact that you even started losing weight to get healthy is an inspiration on it's own. Add the fact that you are quitting smoking and you've become a hero to those of us with less will power. I can't speak for everyone, but I know there are a bunch of people out there who are really proud of you, myself included. Keep up the fantastic work!

Thanks so much for your enthusiastic and positive response. I would probably feel a bit more positive if I didn't feel so crummy from this cold. I know that once that passes and I get back to the C25K program I'll feel a lot better. Hopefully I'll notice a big difference in my lung capacity while finishing the program. Still have 20lbs to go. The good thing about the cold is that I don't feel like snacking as much as I probably would in the first couple of quit days. LOL How's that for finding a silver lining??? :-)
  • thebuz
    Options
    Great job! I quit smoking (the hard way cold turkey) like 14 years ago and it was the best thing I did for myself. I did use to dream of cigs for many many years ago but don't anymore. It sure does get ahold of you! Great job - keep it up and you will feel amazing! I remember how sick I always felt, now I never do!

I tried cold turkey but my boyfriend is a 2 pack a day smoker and it's just far too hard with him triggering me every hour. Hence the champix route.
  • FullOfWinToo
    Options
    You can do it. Come up with a short list of things you can do on the spot with those five minutes until the times you think about wanting one gets farther and farther apart. It will be worth it. Keep it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bookmark entertaining websites on your smartphone that you can look at in a few minutes
    keep your favorite magazine nearby
    one of my favorites: make a list. there's always a list that needs to be made or updated :)
  • thebuz
    Options
    A big high five to you for taking on this challenge! I'm rooting for you.
    My husband quit smoking 7 years ago. I remember him telling me that the urge came back 6 weeks after he'd quit and stayed for about a week. It's as if the Habit comes back to attack one last time before giving up and going away. I tell you this only so you can prepare for its possible arrival (forewarned is forearmed, right?). That was the hardest time for him because he wasn't expecting it.

I am rooting for you and wish you a successful quitting.

Thank you so much for that heads up!!! Information is definitely power and knowing what may be up ahead allows for us to be prepared! :-)
  • thebuz
    Options
    You can do it. Come up with a short list of things you can do on the spot with those five minutes until the times you think about wanting one gets farther and farther apart. It will be worth it. Keep it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bookmark entertaining websites on your smartphone that you can look at in a few minutes
    keep your favorite magazine nearby
    one of my favorites: make a list. there's always a list that needs to be made or updated :)

OMG I love lists (I'm a virgo). That's an awesome idea. My boyfriend may not thank you as I might be inclined to list household things that need done but hey.... It's for a good cause right? LOL
  • fivenight
    fivenight Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    First - congratulations on the quitting of the dreaded smoking buzz.. It take a very brave and strong person to break this habit.
    I stopped after 47 years of been a heavy smoker with zyban. Bloody wonderful drug. That was 1 year ago on the 16-11-11. I have saved lots of money and brought lots of goodies - I do not miss the smell of it at all.
    You will stop on champax as I have heard lots of people saying that it is like zyban a wonder drug. :smooched: :happy:

The weight problem well now that is a different story - they should have a wonder drug for that as well.
    I walk 5 ks 6 days a week. I am on a 1250 cal per day diet - and have been for 6mths still no weight lose please can you give me some HELP :bigsmile:
  • thebuz
    Options
    First - congratulations on the quitting of the dreaded smoking buzz.. It take a very brave and strong person to break this habit.
    I stopped after 47 years of been a heavy smoker with zyban. Bloody wonderful drug. That was 1 year ago on the 16-11-11. I have saved lots of money and brought lots of goodies - I do not miss the smell of it at all.
    You will stop on champax as I have heard lots of people saying that it is like zyban a wonder drug. :smooched: :happy:

The weight problem well now that is a different story - they should have a wonder drug for that as well.
    I walk 5 ks 6 days a week. I am on a 1250 cal per day diet - and have been for 6mths still no weight lose please can you give me some HELP :bigsmile:

First off a big CONGRATS to you. I've only smoked for over a decade so I'm well aware of the struggle you pulled through. Great job! Just day's away from one year quit. Very impressive.

I am no expert on the weight loss and have managed to find a system that works for me and I have lost 25 so far and will lose more as long as I don't replace cigs with food. LOL I am losing a 1/5 pound a week but I'm eating far more than you are. With all that exercise are you getting the fuel you need? I'm currently set at 1560 calories daily and I'm 5'4 and currently 167 pounds.
  • thebuz
    Options
    Day 3 and cold is starting to subside! Woot Woot
  • chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Keep it up!!! :bigsmile:
  • thebuz
    Options
    Day 4 coming to a close and still losing weight. Woot
  • bodyrollin
    bodyrollin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I used chantix when I quit, as did my girlfriend. We've both been smoke free since June...it works great but you just have to have a bit of willpower as well...there wil be those strange, random cravings every once and a whole, but honestly...they'll subside eventually...keep up the great work, and if I can do it anyone can lol.
  • Susanthecatwhisperer
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself! Quitting smoking is something to be proud of! Somewhere out there is an app or website that tells you how much money you save, how much life you gain, and how long you quit smoking. My friend used it, and used to post his stats on Facebook, until he'd been smoke free for over a year.
    Good luck!!:smile:
  • Brewster1215
    Brewster1215 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Quitting smoking is one of the hardest things I ever did. I went the e-cig route and quit 2 years ago after smoking for 23 years (2 packs a day). Keep it going...it's well worth it!
  • DantheMan2517
    DantheMan2517 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It's called Chantix. How many pack/day smoker were you? Whatever your history, good for you to go the route to stop. Kudos.
  • DonC77
    DonC77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It is a very tough habit to kick! I quit 5 years ago, I used the gum. one thing that I found helped me was changing my other habits a bit. I changed from my usual morning coffee to green tea with honey. Wen you get into the habit of having tour morning coffee and butt at pretty much the same time everyday, makes for a rough morning skipping one. Both was a bit of a challenge but I think it work out well.

Losing weight and quitting smoking will take some work but the rewards will be worth it! Keep it up and keep us posted on your progress.
  • thebuz
    Options
    It's called Chantix. How many pack/day smoker were you? Whatever your history, good for you to go the route to stop. Kudos.

It's only called Chantix in the states.
  • thebuz
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the support and encouragement. It really does help. I congratulate you on all of your quits and I look forward to being the one posting the number of months and years quit. For now I will just be proud that I'm starting day 5.