Looking for healthy snacks, please help!!

Options
2»

Replies

• susanm160
    Options
    Hi there,
    Be careful with nuts for they are high in fats. These are the "good fatty acids" that promote heart healt (omega 3's) but they will add weight if eaten in excess. Also some people develop an intestinal problem (pollups) when they eat too many nuts and seeds.
  • susanm160
    Options
    I like your oat cakes with cream cheese and salmon. I think I might have to try this. Thanks:)
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I love vegetables with dip... For the dip I mix no fat greek yogurt with 2% cottage.cheese and add spiced to taste.. So good, low cal and high in protein.
  • susanm160
    Options
    Thanks! I got a lot of good alternatives for healthy and filling snacks. :wink:
  • coburngirl
    coburngirl Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas on here. I had to do a low iodine diet for thyroid cancer and made a trail mix with home made honey roasted peanuts, dried pineapple, dried cranberries, and raisins. A little goes a long way and has a good mix of carbs and protein.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes with slices of tomato & lots of black pepper - crunch, zip, and freshness!

Celery with whipped peanut butter as a dip (lots of celery, 15g pf peanut butter)

Almonds are great - about 15g - about 15 almonds
  • lawandabradley
    lawandabradley Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My current savoury faves are:
    A hardboiled egg, mashed with chopped tomato and a little mayo - about 130cals
    Mini oatcakes topped with cream cheese and smoked salmon - 4 for around 180cals
    Slices of mature cheddar with grapes or an apple

I think the combo of protein and a bit of fat keeps me fullest for longest.

Sounds really good, thanks!
  • lawandabradley
    lawandabradley Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I appreciate everyones ideas, thanks!
  • Tujuannaevans
    Options
    I love Michael Seasons baked gluten free cheese puffs (health food grocery store), Kirklands crunchy snack mix, peanut butter pretzels ( u can have 8 of them), skinny cow ice cream sandwiches (choc, van), skinny cow dreamy clusters (dark chocolate), skinny cow is the way to go for something different and tasty within calorie range. Sometimes u got to get away from all that boring rabbit food that leads folk to binging on what they really like! If you are eating small healthy meals, it is okay to snack like this, it will keep you in fat burning mode if you are active.:heart: Im a food lover!!! losing weight without depriving myself--oh yeah!!!!
  • jahogtum
    Options
    make your own dried "apple crisps". slice several apples into thin slices, put on a piece of parchment on a baking sheet and dust with cinnamon and splenda (optional). Bake in the oven, OVERNIGHT ( or 8 hours) at 70 degrees Centigrade (150 F). When done, turn off oven and open the door - let them cool this way and they get crispy. Delicious!
  • MelisaDonald
    MelisaDonald Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'll have to try your veggie dip recipe!
  • fitnotfluffy
    fitnotfluffy Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Here's some of my favorites!

carrots and hummus
    raspberries and greek yogurt
    cocoa roasted almonds (for when i'm having a sweet tooth attack)
    apple with peanut butter
    celery and peanut butter (my favorite!)
    pita chips/hummus
    grapes
    oatmeal mixed with protein powder (especially chocolate flavored or cookies and cream powder. yum!)
    green pepper with a bit of light ranch
    boiled egg
    canned tuna mixed with ranch/relish (on any wheat cracker or bread)
    strawberries and whipped cream (another sweet tooth cure!)

:smile:
  • tracymnx
    tracymnx Posts: 105
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs
    Yoghurt with honey
    Fruit esp. Bananas, apples, mango
    A tbs of peanut butter
    Half oz of nuts with half oz of raisins
    Milk
  • eringarc
    eringarc Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Go for High Protein First it will fill you up and provide good nutrition! Then "Free" Veggies that are high in Nutrients, then Fruits
    Don't go for processed sugars or processed carbs. Use natural sugars and carb sources to get you through the day.
    Cottage cheese
    Almonds
    Low Fat Cheese Sticks
    Greek Yogurt
    Low-fat Regular Yogurt (add some fat free granola)
    Healthy Choice Frozen Greek Yogurt
    Think Thin Mini Bars
    A slice or two of deli turkey chicken or ham
    Two ounces of low fat cheese
    A hard boiled egg
    Kale, Spinach
    Avacado (in moderation)
    Green, Red, and Yellow Bell Pepper Slices
    Broccoli Florets
    Grape or Cherry Tomatoes
    Blueberries, raspberries, Blackberries
    Raisins/Craisins, Mixed Dried Fruits
    Banana and Apple Chips
    Pita Chips
    Fruit Leather
    Apple Wedges

I have lost weight very gradually and it has been a very long and grueling 4 year process. I started at 278 pounds 4 years ago. By sticking with a 1200 calorie lowglycemic diet I have lost 98 lbs and I am sitting at 181 today. I am only 5' 1" tall. I just bought size 16 pants a few weeks ago. I started in size 28! Portion size has been key. I haven' had processed sugar (not even at birthdays in the cake and icing) in 3 years! However being in a size 16 and feeling HEALTHY is more than worth it!!!
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    1) 1/2 avocado... love them! Put pepper on them or hot sauce or salsa.
    2) Leftover sides: for snacks like cucumber-tomato with basil and balsamic vinegar, also can add avocado to that.
    3) quick protein shake with mix, 1/2 froze banana, pb, unsweetened almond milk. (If you freeze it the night before, then you can bring to work with you and put it in the fridge- it thaws to the right temp by midday)

I will admit that simple carbs never satisfy me. I always need a carb and protein or I'll keep snacking.