Underactive thyroid and weight loss.

Options
I have an underactive thyroid and I am currently taking medication for it. However I am also trying to lose weight. Has anyone been successful in even losing a few pounds with a thyroid problem. If so what worked for you?

Replies

• ugadiva
    ugadiva Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    HI....I've been on thyroid medicine (synthroid) for about 10 years, and while it can make losing weight a little more difficult.....it can be done. Watching calorie intake for me is key.....working out I can seem to manage on most days. Recently, I've lost and gained the same 10 lbs for about a year now.....and while I would love to blame my under active thyroid....sigh.....it's really my eating habits ;o) I found fitness pal through a friend so I'm getting myself back on track! How long have you been on your medicine? It took my Dr. a few tries to get the dosage correct, so if you're not feeling more like yourself in a couple of weeks.....go see your Dr. Just remember.....take each day one at a time and you'll get there :o)
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I have had an under active thryoid since I went off birth control pills in 2000. Due to pregnancy, nursing, and weaning, (3x) the amount of meds I have to take have flucutated. Now that I have lost weight, I have been able to lower my dosage of medicin that i take. My dr said that in 4-6 weeks, the dosage changes should be effective, so I'm assuming that would be the same for you. Once having taken the medication for one full month, if the your levels are right and your dosage of medication is accurate, You shouldn't have any trouble losing weight :) I have been successful in losing 23 pounds (i had lost as much as 26, but still working on last few again) while on medication for an under active thryoid :)
  • wendyrezvani
    Options
    I just went to Dr. this week and was put on synthroid. I have been dealing with a number of things and didnt know they were all linked together. The last thing was fluid under my eyes. Very depressing last 6 months betweeen eye's, weight gain, fatigue. I stipped working out which just made it it worse. I'm back at the gym and though I have always eat pretty healthy Im really watching what I eat. Iv been back at gym for month now and my friends that are going with me are losing weight, but I'm not. I even work out harder then they do pushing myself. I really hope that synthroid is going to help, so my question to everyone that is on it does it help??
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I just went to Dr. this week and was put on synthroid. I have been dealing with a number of things and didnt know they were all linked together. The last thing was fluid under my eyes. Very depressing last 6 months betweeen eye's, weight gain, fatigue. I stipped working out which just made it it worse. I'm back at the gym and though I have always eat pretty healthy Im really watching what I eat. Iv been back at gym for month now and my friends that are going with me are losing weight, but I'm not. I even work out harder then they do pushing myself. I really hope that synthroid is going to help, so my question to everyone that is on it does it help??

Yes it will help! After a few weeks i begin to notice a difference. For me, my symptoms are feeling down, major hair loss, and very tired and easily fatigued. Some weight gain but its hard to know what causes what if you KWIM. IF i'm lethargic, I don't exercise or eat as well. So it all links. My dr always has me go back after 4-6 weeks to re-do the blood work to make sure the dosage is accurate. It can take some time to get that right.

I'm not sure if your pharnacist told you, but you can't take this medication with some foods, particularly foods with calcium. My pharmist also reccomended taking it in the morning (best results he said, though i don't) and to wait to eat for an hour after taking the throid pill, or alternatively, make sure you take the thyroid pill 2 hours after eating. Perhaps check with your pharmacist for their reccomendations. I was on the medication for years w/o realizing some foods were affecting the medications. I hope u feel yourself soon!bbb
  • ugadiva
    ugadiva Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ditto what Supermel said.....it will work, but it takes time for it to get in your system completely. Make sure your Dr does another blood test in a couple of weeks to make sure you're on the right dosage. They had to adjust mine a couple of times in the beginning (10 years ago) but since then....I've been good. Hang in there!
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I started on Cytomel the beginning of this year. I've lost a few pounds alreay, but that is in cunjunction with a low carb diet. (The diet is taylored to me by my endocrinologist because I also have PCOS and Anorexia)

I have a friend who has been taking Synthroid for 2 years and is always complaining that it doesn't help her lose weight. She doesn't pay attention to her diet. I think its important to rember to stay conscious of your diet, becasue the medicine will only make it easier to lose. (I guess some people think the weight should just melt away with the tiny little pill. ???)

I think you're on the right track. Take your meds, stick with this website, and stay positive. And I agree with the others who said to make sure you see your doctor regularly for bloodwork. Its important to keep your dosage right. This site will help you stay accountable for your end and your meds and doctor can manage the other end. You will be successful! You will also find tons of support here. Best of luck to you! Add me as a friend if you like. I'd love to help support you as well!

Holly
  • torsaer
    torsaer Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I also have an underactive thyroid and am on thyroxine. Want to lose a stone and it's really slow progress! Should we start a thyroid support group here?
  • wendyrezvani
    Options
    Thank you so much for info it really helped me. I love myfitnesspal already..
  • PaigeG
    PaigeG Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have been on Synthroid for 11 years and have had to adjust my medication several times due to pregnancies, weight gain, weight loss, etc. However, I was able to lose 20 pounds with hypothyroidism. It can be done. The key is diet AND exercise. You can't do one without the other. Everyone is right - it may take several months before you get the dosage right and start to feel like yourself again. Don't get discouraged though. Take your measurements and check those regularly along with your weight. Sometimes you will see a change in inches rather than pounds. Good luck to you!!
  • ladyz23
    Options
    On 1/10, I said enough to the med. I was only on .05, but for the past 5 years I have had doctors add more and more med and blow off my hair loss, give me depression meds and diet pills that made me into a wacko. During that time I have gained 30 pounds. In the last, wow, 21 days, I can swallow normally and sing again. I am watching my diet, excercising and taking vitamins that have iodine in them. When the symtoms first came on I had just done a partial hysterectomy and stopped my birth control. (the only prescription drug I take now is my birthcontrol for the back acne). I lost about 1/2 of my hair. If it wasn't for Nioxin, 4th level (you need to use all three steps) I think I would have been bald. I have read alot about folic acid, vitamin B6 and B12 and iodine, over and over on the many many sites I have been on. I make sure to keep those levels up all the time. I will be curious where my thyroid level is in 6 months. If it is high I will ask to go on Amour for my thyroid instead. I am wishing you all the strength and determination you need to deal with this problem. Just know you are far from alone.

Lorie
  • jgrandison
    jgrandison Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have been on thyroid meds for about 13 years, it is defin a struggle with weight loss but it can be done, you just have to stick to a program, it might take a while for the right adjustments of meds but eventually you will feel better, learn your signs your body will tell you what you need. These past couple of years my weight loss struggle has been a nightmare, however i was not true to the game and I know it was my fault. so I could not put it all on my thyroid, I have been on mfp for 1 week and I think I have shocked my body by what I ate this drop was way to easy, so I won't fool myself to think I will be that lucky this week, however I will continue to challenge myself to keep up the momentum. I am learning allot from this site and reading these posts were eye openers. Thanks everyone.
  • wendyrezvani
    Options
    Does anyone have fluid under their eyes? Mine is awful. I just had a nurse say maybe I should be taking a water pill along with my meds. This is all very new to me so any input is welcome.. I did lose this week 3.8lbs woohoo scale has not moved in I dont know how long so maybe meds are helping