Banking Calories

Options
Let's just say one day I want to go over. So either the day before or after I stay under. I ask this because I know a friend that taught weight watchers and they allowed banking points. Do I just chalk it up to a cheat day? Or is it okay to bank those calories? I'm not talking more that 300 calories. So it's not like a binge or anything. I know it's important to get your calories in. Right now, I am allowed about 1400 calories a day, so if I stick to 1200... Am I kind of making up for the day after or before?

Replies

• bebhinn
    bebhinn Posts: 198
    Options
    I would think so..... I mean, math is math, calories are calories... 2800 is the same over 2 days if its 1200/1600 or 1400/1400 ...... but what do I know :) lol!
  • zildgian
    zildgian Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers figures the point based on a week. Within that week they allow 35 points a week for optional use. It is there to help keep you from going into a funk if you have a bad day and sto allow you to stay on track.

Somedays will always be more difficult than others so don't beat yourself up. Just continue on track the next day.
  • NewBeginning2010
    NewBeginning2010 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I ASKED THE SAME QUESTION BEFORE VACATION AND THEY TOLD ME NO BANKING SORRY :grumble:
  • bebhinn
    bebhinn Posts: 198
    Options
    I tend to think that banking on occasion in moderation is totally ok.. i mean we do it during the day.. we know were going to the inlaws for dinner for example...you eat a lighter lunch.

Its also good to fluctuate slightly - keeps your body guessing!
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    If you are talking less than 500 cals and not looking for a regularly cheating excuse, then go ahead and give yourself some wiggle room on the odd day. If you think about it. when you are counting calories on MFP, you already have a deficit built in and 500 cals is just shrinking that deficit. It's all an estimation anyway, so looking at the whole picture week over week would be just as productive as micromanaging it day to day. As long as you are being honest with yourself in the long run.
  • stacyoct19
    stacyoct19 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    ya it's not there to be a justification for a cheat day regularly. but if I know the next day has big cals in stores or the day before was heavy, I would think that reducing cals to adjust should be fine. I mean logically I my mind it works. not that I shoud be able to reduce to 500 cals for a week to make up for a week out of town. I'm talkin a day, 500 cals or less...
  • stacyoct19
    stacyoct19 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    ya it's not there to be a justification for a cheat day regularly. but if I know the next day has big cals in stores or the day before was heavy, I would think that reducing cals to adjust should be fine. I mean logically I my mind it works. not that I shoud be able to reduce to 500 cals for a week to make up for a week out of town. I'm talkin a day, 500 cals or less...
  • dogmeat
    dogmeat Posts: 83
    Options
    Technically, there's no supernatural magic that happens at midnight when your slate is cleaned for the day.

It might be a good idea to keep the over/under days next to each other.

There's also some research done on fasting one day, consuming twice the daily calories the next, but I think it's rather impractical and probably largely horsesh*t as a beneficial theory.
  • karoske
    karoske Posts: 38
    Options
    I have been using the Biggest Loser Jump start as my starting guide and they talk about splurges at the end of the book.. They say keep it to one day.. one meal/snack and for the rest of the day eat normally.. And PLAN it! Don't feel bad, just don't let it become a habit.
    My family goes so often that I am sometimes caught out at a meal time when the whole family wants to eat out.. I think of my calories I have for the day and start planning my meal while we are still in the car or walking up to the restaurant. Then I stick VERY close to what I am supposed to have for calories.
    I do have a splurge day planned for my daughters 5th b-day... for dinner I am gonna have Pizza.. real pizza.. but just that meal though..
    So don't feel guilty... Just keep up the good work on making healthy choices before and after the splurge... :)
  • scagle4008
    Options
    I like your reply...Thanks