PMS cure??

Options
To all of you ladies...

Do any of you have any tips/tricks for beating the monthly hormonal urges to pig out? I am doing the best I can, and am ok for the most part until I see food or start to eat a meal. I want to devour everything! I am working out extra hard to compensate for the overeating, but needless to say, I am having a really tough time staying on track this week and could really use some help.

I have always had this problem and currently do not take any hormones such as birth control, (nor is that an option) so the urges are always VERY strong right before my cycle begins. My stomach has shrank drastically, since counting my calories and portions, so I feel sick when I have binged/splurged, and have even had some Bulimic tendencies cross my mind. I know that is not the way to go, but I want to stay on track, and not GAIN back any weight. There has got to be a healthier way to deal. Please HELP! Thanks!!

Replies

• stephjohnny
    stephjohnny Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i am in the same boat right now. ugh, i wish aunt flow would come and go already...she should be arriving at any moment.
  • bambi5014
    Options
    Also, I don't know what to do, because I am actually OVER exercising this week to compensate for my eating. My body is telling me to rest, and I know I need to, but I don't want to be OVER on my calorie goal. I recently increased my calorie intake from 1200 to 1450 daily, and am going to see if this helps, at least this week before my monthly "friend" comes to visit. lol
  • Realtychic
    Options
    I am was fighting the same battle this week also! Wish I knew the answer too!
  • leeslim4life
    leeslim4life Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for Aunt Flow to come & go as well. I'm getting a bit worried b/c it hasn't arrived & there's only 2 more days of the month!!! :ohwell:

Anyone experiencing this, being more active & the monthly not showing up?
  • schoenhardt11
    Options
    I'm in the same boat this week! Today was TERRIBLE, I'm just going to try again tomorrow. I hope someone has some good tips for all of us!
  • bambi5014
    Options
    Oops.
  • saram21
    saram21 Posts: 88
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean! What I do is munch away on smart pop popcorn. It will last a long time and it wont totally ruin your diet! I also like sugar free fudgesicles! They only have 40 calories a pop! Sugar free popsicles have only 10 calories. You can also have fruits or veggies. Have you tried flavored teas? When I have a craving I brew a cup of flavored tea. It eases the temptation and fills up my stomach.
  • bambi5014
    Options
    I'm waiting for Aunt Flow to come & go as well. I'm getting a bit worried b/c it hasn't arrived & there's only 2 more days of the month!!! :ohwell:

I have only been at this a month, but I will let you know. I am crossing my fingers for you. I wouldn't be surprised if your body is just adjusting to your new lifestyle. If you are still worried after the weekend, buy a pregnancy test or see your OB/GYN? Good luck! :smile:
  • bambi5014
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean! What I do is munch away on smart pop popcorn. It will last a long time and it wont totally ruin your diet! I also like sugar free fudgesicles! They only have 40 calories a pop! Sugar free popsicles have only 10 calories. You can also have fruits or veggies. Have you tried flavored teas? When I have a craving I brew a cup of flavored tea. It eases the temptation and fills up my stomach.

Thanks Saram. Those tips usually work for me, but I don't know what my problem is this month. LOL I totally went to Taco Bell thinking I would order from their diet menu, and instead got one of their cheesy gordita crunches with sour cream goodness. Almost 600 calories!!! YUCK. I can't even say that it was worth it, but at least I only ate one, and not 2 or 3 like I would have in the past. I did polish it off with some fresh fruit, and probably overindulged with that too, but at least it wasn't a candy bar. Maybe I shouldn't be so hard on myself. Maybe all of us, need to just have a few splurges this time of the month, and know that we just have to get right back on track, and attempt to make the healthiest choices possible. Its so easier said than done though!
  • leeslim4life
    Options
    Ahhhhhhhhh don't say that!!!! :laugh:

I need to lose this weight before having more babies!!!! :blushing:

Oh, you know what is good, drinking lots of water!!! I have been taking in 11-15 glasses a day!!!

Thank you for your feed back!!! :flowerforyou:
  • bambi5014
    Options
    Ahhhhhhhhh don't say that!!!! :laugh:

I need to lose this weight before having more babies!!!! :blushing:

Oh, you know what is good, drinking lots of water!!! I have been taking in 11-15 glasses a day!!!

Thank you for your feed back!!! :flowerforyou:

You know what they say... stressing over it can make you late too. Try to relax and not think about it too much. I have been a week+ late before, and it was stressful... the wondering and waiting, but you will get through, no matter what the outcome! Also, if you have any new friends that you have gotten close to, sometimes that alone has been known to make women's cycles coincide. That has happened to me, and I am a big believer in that. There are also like-theories that our cycles are in-tune to the moon's lunar cycles. Maybe you could do some googling on those theories to help ease your mind also? IDK.

If worse comes to worse, you will end up like me having "irish twins" my babies are almost exactly 12 months apart and are so close as siblings. At first I was devastated to find out that I became pregnant after losing the baby weight when my daughter was only 3 months old! BUT... I embraced it of course, and my husband and I were blessed with a healthy son! (we have two girls, and now a son) Things always happen for a reason!
  • batbetenoire99
    Options
    I don't know if this will help but I sort of listen to what my body wants. If I crave salty/sweet I eat a banana with some peanut butter. The natural salt in the peanut butter soothes me and the fat makes me feel sated ... I think the banana takes care of potassium. Sometimes when I feel iron deficient I put a little black strap molasses in my coffee/tea. Mostly I just try and be kind to myself as I feel pretty awful.
    I used to really suffer from pms very severely. Horrible pain before and during, and I would feel very faint. Strangely when I stopped eating sugar (severe type II diabetes in my family) my pms is hardly a problem anymore. Also I went from heavy to light and hardly any cramps. I do not know if that is just relevant to my own body chemistry.
  • karoske
    karoske Posts: 38
    Options

I had the same experience.. I was late by 3 weeks! then I did a search for periods on the message board and got a ton of information on what others had experienced..
    As for the munchy's before, and during well.. I would love some suggestions as well.. I have been just ignoring my stomach.... I have splurged a bit with my after dinner snack (usually don't have one) and chewed a ton of sugar free gum all week!
  • leeslim4life
    Options
    Thank you Bambi! You know what? You're right, I will just listen to my body and if it comes it comes and if it doesn't.....well I guess I will be turning my guest room into a nursery! :happy: I have a 10yr old daughter & a 2yr old son (Turning 3 in March).

Awwww and what a great family you have!!!! :flowerforyou:

- Kristi you are putting me at ease. I'm glad I'm not in this boat alone!!! :flowerforyou: