did you know...

Options
that the peel of a mango is edible? so basically you can just take bites like an apple.

i found this out today and thought i would share.

Replies

• geekgirl_2012
    geekgirl_2012 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I did not know that. Thanks for sharing. I love mangos, but they're hard to peel.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    that the peel of a mango is edible? so basically you can just take bites like an apple.

i found this out today and thought i would share.

for srs?

Never tried it, seems like it would taste nasty.

Try it and let me know. THanks.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I love trashhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    Makes for slippier stool. :love:
  • MsLTJ71
    MsLTJ71 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    One day I tried it because I didn't have a knife to cut it off and it was surprisingly tasty.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I didn't know that either - I love Mango but hate working around the awkward core and once the skin is off it seems hardly worth it.

Good to know!!
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    pretty sure the peels of most if not all fruits are edible... id be eating the banana peels if i was low on food and stranded on an island.
  • Kathe2
    Kathe2 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Mango peel is considered toxic. Check it on Google! Do not take chances.
  • BAFilek
    BAFilek Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    ewww... I tried it once before I knew I was supposed to cut the peel off. It was really smoky flavored and I thought it was nasty.
  • GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    What's a Mango?
  • bambis
    bambis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine eats whole kiwis , I find eating the peel of a mango less weird ;)
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I love trashhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....
    :heart:
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Guava too! Makes it all bitter, which I like. Magoes can stay in the supermarket skin or no! :P
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Mango peel is considered toxic. Check it on Google! Do not take chances.

It's not quite as dangerous as you make it sound. It isn't the safest thing in the world, but toxic always sounds so dire.

Basically the mango skin (and the rest of the plant) contain the same chemical that is found in poison oak and poison ivy. So if you are allergic to those (meaning you get a rash or irritated reaction when you come in contact with them) then you may end up with a rash if you consume the mango skin.

They actually grow so much all over Hawaii that it's hard to find them in stores since so few people want to pay for something that they can get for free so many places. But people that go out and pick them themselves and aren't careful often end up with rashes due to bumping into the plant and leaves while they pick the fruit.