Proper Fat Amounts

Options
What should be the proper fat intake in day? I know that it should be 20-35% of your daily in take but does this increase with exercise? I exercise twice a day and thus MFP tells me i can have almost 70g of fat a day but to me this seems ridiculous. Until recently i was only having about 10g a day and all these were good fats as i am vegan.
Should i be having more fat in my diet?
If they are all good fats will my body be at any loss by having about 30g of fat a day?
It confuses me and i have a very hard time believing that i wont explode and gain a ridiculous amount of weight if it eat about 25g of fat a day (the minimum i should for my age...apparently....if im on a 1200 calories diet...which i normally eat only about 1000cal a day anyway - in which case should i be having less fat?)
Very confused by this!

Replies

• krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I think the general wisdom is about .5 grams per pound of lean body mass for fats. For me that is about 30% of my daily calories in fat.

For me this is 50 grams of fat--I eat 1500 calories.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    25% of calories is a good target. Dietary fat is important for proper hormonal function.

But the 25% number is assuming you're eating a reasonable amount of calories. It's difficult to get proper nutrition on 1,000 calories
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I go with 0.35g per lb of total body weight which has my target as 55g (I do not vary it with activity). This equates to about 25% on my current calories.