Exercising when Sick

Options
How do you handle exercise when you are sick? Do you do it? Or skip a day?

Replies

• mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Depends on what kind of sick. Right now I have a cold, but it's not a bad one so I didn't let myself use that as an excuse to skip my exercising. I went, I rocked it, and I feel proud of myself for doing it! But, if I had the flu or something worse than what I have, I'd probably let my body heal.
  • llama12345
    Options
    I agree, it depends on how sick. You don't want to push yourself to the point where your body doesn't have the energy it needs to heal but you also don't want to make excuses or stop progress. I try and do more at a lower intensity level, for example, go for a long walk rather than run, do squats, and lunges at home as well as some ab work. I also try to eat really healthy when I'm sick, so that way it balances with the decrease in exercise intensity. Ultimately you need to do what works for you to make you happy.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    sick like cancer sick = dont exercise.

sick like sniffles and cough = exercise.
  • HeyNikkita
    HeyNikkita Posts: 147 Member
    Options

I vote just the opposite...
  • ariesmom07
    ariesmom07 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Depends. If I had a stomach bug I definitely will not be exercising. Cold...Yes.
  • dldrucker
    dldrucker Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm with Nikki. My dad exercised all through his bout with pancretic cancer, and I really think it prolonged his life.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Yeah, go ahead and get the rest of the gym sick.

When I get sick, I rest. The gym isn't going anywhere.
  • jellybeanmusic
    jellybeanmusic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    If I was contagious, then I wouldn't go to the gym cause its not fair on others. But something like going for a long walk would prob be great cause you can avoid people and get some fresh air into your lungs too.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    If whatever I have is affecting me below the neck, I don't exercise. Every time I have in the past, thinking that it'll be fine, I've ended up making myself sicker.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    If I was contagious, then I wouldn't go to the gym cause its not fair on others. But something like going for a long walk would prob be great cause you can avoid people and get some fresh air into your lungs too.

Absolutely right. Try not to get everyone else sick, but feel free to go jogging outside, do sit-ups at home, dance dance revolution or whatever.

I think OP's question was about whether or not exercise and the elevated body temperature and metabolic boost will help you recover sooner or not. I'm not a doctor, but the key here seems to be "if you have a fever, stay in bed. if you don't have a fever, knock yourself out". The consensus also seems to be that lower intensity is generally better during periods of illness. If it's in your head (i.e., nasal passages) then, go ahead and exercise. If it's in your body (coughing, achiness), then stay home. If you DO go to the gym, SANITIZE EVERYTHING and for god's sake, COVER YOUR MOUTH.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I would just go for a walk or do some light yoga rather than a workout that's intense.

It helps to get things moving when you are sick sometimes, but I wouldn't work out too hard, because you do need rest. Just do something easy.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I have a cold.. feel pretty crappy.. skipped yesterday.. feel worse today.. my body is screaming at me to move.. my head is screaming at me to sleep.. Congestion and a cold mostly.. ya know.. typical stuff.. coughing sneezing stuffed up nose that runs.. etc...

Do I exercise? Is it healthy? Will it make me sicker if I do?