womanly help needed(or medical professionals)

veganmommy04
veganmommy04 Posts: 45
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
hi ladies. i'm wondering. i recently had my mirena iud removed. and i have been soooo beyond moody, almost depressed at times too, since the removal, i went from 154 to 157 in weight. my eating and exercise habits have not really changed. a friend of mine said that your body can go through withdrawl type symptoms after quiting a bc(i had it for almost 5 years). also the only info on weight loss and gain after removal i've been able to find says that you may gain a bit a first and then start losing a bit after your first 2 or so cycles. i just don't know and i'm very stressed out over the whole situation. any help would be great!!

Replies

• lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    I'm interested in this answer, also. I currently have mirena and I'm considering having it removed because of side effects. I know this doesn't help you, sorry! I hope you find the answer you need!:flowerforyou:
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    You are going through a kind of withdrawl because for 5 years mirena has been putting some female hormones into you, and now that it's gone, your body has to adjust and start producing more of those hormones on its own. The amount of time it takes for you to start making your own (and feeling better) is different for everyone. In the mean time, do what you'd do for PMS - stay hydrated, eat lots and lots of fruits and veggies, and avoid things like caffiene, alcohol, and highly processed/sodium-rich food. Your body is confused right now so providing it with quality nutrition will help it bounce back.

It's interesting to hear about this because I've been talking about long-term BC with my doc, and Mirena was one of the options we discussed.
  • thank you for your advice on the problem. my friend said the same thing, that my body was used to recieving the hormones from it for so long that i was essentially having withdrawl sympotms. i don't want to get back on a bc though. i don't want to put unneccesary things like that into my body anymore. but its nice to know there is a connection and reason behind my sudden change in attitute, and hopes that it will get better in time. thanks.:flowerforyou:
  • thirtyby40
    thirtyby40 Posts: 702 Member
    I had mine removed after about a year, we were hoping to conceive soon after. My doctor said it would be at least 3 months since that is how long the hormones stay in your body, but I got pregnant 2 weeks later. I know that may not be helpful but my point is that obviously the hormones took a hike immediately! I don't remember being extra moody, but I do remember not feeling right.

It could also just be a physiological reaction to losing something that was in your body for 5 years. Your body will go back to normal soon don't worry or stress over it. I think it is probably similar to having a baby and the sudden change in your hormones.
This discussion has been closed.