Stereotyping food is not nice.

Options
Too much demonizing of food in the forums. Just SAD, I tell you.

Let me let you in on something: EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING causes cancer or at the very least is bad for you

Do you want to start your weight loss with restricting everything you love (face it, all that is awesome is fattening or is filled with calories.) and then later waste all your efforts when your willpower crumbles and you end up just giving up and gorging for the next few days?!

NO!

Key is moderation, people and really, cutting yourself some slack. This is a lifestyle change, something that you should be able to uphold for a long time, make a habit, blablabla.

Let me confess something, I had 5 Hersheys Milk Chocolate Halloween mini bars, and a cup of chocolate mousse last night, and I don't regret a thing! It's not even a rewards thing, but I don't deny myself pleasures when I want it.

If you are wondering, that is a total of about 5x50=250 calories + 1 cup chocolate mouse = 200 = approximately 450 calories. I did get over my calorie total by about 67 calories (and yes I eat exercise calories).

Am I crying? NO. I feel alot better, especially after putting them temptations at bay.

Is that a cheat day? NO, I don't do cheat days.

I call it, LIVING LIFE.

Do I do it everyday? Of course not, silly. That'd just be irresponsible and not doing myself a favor.

Take control of your lives, take control of them seemingly "bad" foods yet find a way to integrate them into your lives still.

p.s. I did practice moderation last night, I could easily have gone over 10-20 chocolate bars, I used to anyway, and just had a whole bowl of chocolate mousse. I was nicer this time and decided to share my bowl of mousse LOL.

Replies

• dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    All foods do not cause cancer. There is some good research out there about what does. Each person responds differently to food, but just today a report came out about the link between bad carbs and colon cancer.

Remember, a lot of people can't take control, that is why they need to make good food choices.

If you want to eat junk food, have a ball.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Three letters.

GMO.

Yes. Most food you get in a grocery store is compromised and could possibly cause cancer.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    There are foods that are known to increase cancer risk and foods that are known to decrease them. Some people can eat junk food in moderation, while some people. like myself have better luck eliminating them completely. I no longer crave chocolate or sugary stuff, and I am fine with that. Do I think you will die if you eat it sometimes? Nope. probably not. But everyone is different and has to pick what works for them.
  • cdpark617
    cdpark617 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I am similar, but I don't eat all my exercise calories, I eat what I want. I just don't pig out. That is the only way I will be able to make this a life change is to allow myself to live.
  • adk88
    adk88 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I am similar, but I don't eat all my exercise calories, I eat what I want. I just don't pig out. That is the only way I will be able to make this a life change is to allow myself to live.

Couldn't agree more. That's exactly what I've done. I don't like sweets, but my weakness is potato chips. It's all about moderation, not depriving ourselves of things we love. Working for me so far!
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Too much demonizing of food in the forums. Just SAD, I tell you.

Let me let you in on something: EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING causes cancer or at the very least is bad for you

Do you want to start your weight loss with restricting everything you love (face it, all that is awesome is fattening or is filled with calories.) and then later waste all your efforts when your willpower crumbles and you end up just giving up and gorging for the next few days?!

NO!

Key is moderation, people and really, cutting yourself some slack. This is a lifestyle change, something that you should be able to uphold for a long time, make a habit, blablabla.

Let me confess something, I had 5 Hersheys Milk Chocolate Halloween mini bars, and a cup of chocolate mousse last night, and I don't regret a thing! It's not even a rewards thing, but I don't deny myself pleasures when I want it.

If you are wondering, that is a total of about 5x50=250 calories + 1 cup chocolate mouse = 200 = approximately 450 calories. I did get over my calorie total by about 67 calories (and yes I eat exercise calories).

Am I crying? NO. I feel alot better, especially after putting them temptations at bay.

Is that a cheat day? NO, I don't do cheat days.

I call it, LIVING LIFE.

Do I do it everyday? Of course not, silly. That'd just be irresponsible and not doing myself a favor.

Take control of your lives, take control of them seemingly "bad" foods yet find a way to integrate them into your lives still.

p.s. I did practice moderation last night, I could easily have gone over 10-20 chocolate bars, I used to anyway, and just had a whole bowl of chocolate mousse. I was nicer this time and decided to share my bowl of mousse LOL.

That's very nice for you and I'm very glad you've found a way to lose weight but you don't need to tell the world they need to follow your example. We're all adults and can make our own choices about how we wish to lose our own flubber.
  • xcoyote
    Options
    I don't exclude any particular foods, however I do keep to my macros each day...(I'm doing a contest prep for a fitness modeling comp). I don't think you need to be as strict in general life. When I lost weight from 108kg to 75kg I wasn't AS strict as I am now and I did that in 8 - 10 months.

However I have taken the choice to move it to the next level.

Again while I don't preclude any foods, I've found that with certain macros (Say I'm allowed 45g of FATS for the day) It's hard to eat certain foods. I certainly have a can of un-opened pringles in my cupboard staring at me for the last 3 weeks.... eating even 16 of those chips uses up a third of my Fats for the day (and would leave me hungry!)

The trade off is seeing my body change slowly in the mirror , and for now I"m happy with that trade off, and the can of pringles can stay in the pantry :-P
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    3 Cheers for Moderation!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I hate stereotypes too, but sometimes the truth is the truth. Every piece of lettuce I've met has been a worthless, lazy S.O.B. And don't even talk to me about ice cream. Just watch your wallet around ice cream is all I'm saying.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Doritos thou are a tasty, heartless *****.

Sincerely,

My Waist.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    PREACH!

(just kidding, don't....glad you found what works for you. Now stop bossing people around.)

((my own irony here cracks me up))
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    i actually agree...heh.
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Good for you.
    My philosophy aswell.
  • tubaman58
    Options
    Amen!!!!!
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Doritos thou are a tasty, heartless *****.

Sincerely,

My Waist.

:laugh:
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    While I actually agree with this sentiment, your delivery sucked.

Try again.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you for eating a bunch of junk and not feeling guilty about it. Seriously, it's sounds like a good thing FOR YOU but that's not a good approach FOR ME. And while you might be sick of reading about people who prioritize their health over moderation I'm sick of coming on these forums and reading ignorant posts like this one.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I hate stereotypes too, but sometimes the truth is the truth. Every piece of lettuce I've met has been a worthless, lazy S.O.B. And don't even talk to me about ice cream. Just watch your wallet around ice cream is all I'm saying.

Popcorn stole money out of my wallet last night. No lie.

OP: Good post! Moderation is a good thing!