Portion control

Options
I've always been a big eater and never paid much attention to portion size. Now that I'm trying to get healthy how do I get my brain to realize I'm getting enough food when I have normal portions? Any tips please?

Replies

• tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Eat slower. Eating slowly prevents you from over-eating (or at least over-eating by as much). It takes the brain 15 to 20 minutes to recognize that the stomach is full.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Put your food on smaller plates. Portion out snacks in little snack bags. Those are my best ways to get my brain on board with what I'm supposed to eat as a portion. We have mid-size plates (smaller than dinner, larger than a saucer) that I like to have my meals on because it gets me to see all this food I have and not feel guilty for eating all of it. With snacks, the little baggies give me the mental satisfaction of eating the whole bag when I only at 30g.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Have a large glass of water before you eat, use a small plate, take a bite & put your fork down, chew your food well, and make your meal last so your really taste the food. A lot of us are used to dumping food on a plate and shoveling it in as fast as you can. It takes about 20 minutes for your stomach to realize it's been fed so making a meal last will help get you to that point.

It also can take about 3 weeks for your stretched out stomach it shrink back to a normal size so that feeling full comes sooner.
  • fabrah80
    fabrah80 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    uuum, you really think it shrinks?

but until theen, just have to riiide that hungry and unsatisfied feeling...uhhgg!!!!
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I think you can eat quite a lot of veggies plain cooked or with spices...waht I watch is closely is protein carbs and fatty stuff.

But you can have load a of cabbage, spinach, kale, mustard greens, broccoli, cauliflower etc etc etc
  • CindyJ004
    Options
    Great tips. Thanks everyone