Exercise after Heart Stent, How long did you wait ?

Options
2»

Replies

• LanceDuvall
    LanceDuvall Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I had to stents put in and my doctor encourgaged me to exercise after a week of complete rest and to start out slowly.....withing 2 weeks I felt much stronger than before I went in....COMMON SENSE!!!! If you have an discomfort STOP
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Your Cardiologist is the best source. I have had several stent procedures over the last 5 years, and after each one I waited 30 days before getting active. I suggest you "Google" a few cardio-rehab articles and get an idea of what are the available exercises that are safe after discussing an exercise regime w/your Cardiologist.

Give your body time to get used to your medications and recover from the procedure. Despite the non-invasive procedure there is still a healing process and its not the same for everyone.

If you feel good; then I see no need to NOT exercise when of course using precaution.

HOWEVER; IF YOU FEEL DIZZY, WINDED OR TIRED; STOP IT'S TOO SOON!!!

Walking is my primary exercise and its pretty easy to gauge intensity. Like other posters said; start with short distances and an easy pace. I do have a weight training regime also, but, on a personal note, was attacked also on the left-side (primary) and weight training is a little more intense than walking.

Take it slow; and Good Luck with exercise program.

Thanks, I plan on finding out about doing some Cardio Rehab if possible, I didn't feel winded or dizzy or tired, just different is the only way I can explain. I so want to get back into a exercise routine but don't want to rush or risk. 30 days is probably a good time frame to wai on anything other then walking. I will ask my Dr on next Friday and see what he says and tells me i can do. Walking is better then nothing,

What about when it comes to lifting weights, even after a time period we have to be careful lifting ?

I would wait for specific clearance from your cardiologist before lifting any weights. The physiological response to lifting weights is different than from doing cardio and, while it can be done safely, it can also put an extra load on the heart if you don't know what you are doing.

Really, walking is your best choice right now. It is a low intensity activity which makes it very safe. You can build up the minutes relatively quickly, which will make it feel like you are doing something substantial, while still remaining at a lower intensity. Even at brisker speeds, walking is still pretty safe.

This is not a time for "training" or even "getting back to your routine". You just want to get your body back into a pattern of regular activity that allows you to recover from the procedure and adapt to everything that has taken place. Soon you will be able to move back into a more normal (for you) exercise routine, likely with little restriction.