Dogmeat's thoughts on weight loss

Options

Replies

• dogmeat
    dogmeat Posts: 83
    Options
    .. although in all fairness, a pound of muscle is at least twice as dense as a pound of fatt, and therefore half the size, so if I had to choose which one was hanging off my midsection, well, lol..

It's more like 1.18 times as dense, so the difference isn't that much in the end. Still, midsections do tend to look better when they're muscular compared to lard and blubber paddings.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    "Do not try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and annoys the pig".

This is a hair that gets split again about twice a week on this message board. Just let it go. :smile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    Chances are that if you're in Bismarck, ND, and you want to visit your aunt in San Fransisco and your uncle in Philadelphia, an efficient way to do this is to head to California first, then to Pennsylvania, instead of bouncing aimlessly between Montana and Minnesota. In the end, you might even get a hefty inheritance from both relatives, instead of a line in the will that says "for dogmeat, my lazy nephew who never bothered to visit me, I leave the pink plastic flamingo I won on bingo in 1982, worth 20 cents".

Oh, dogmeat, how I love thee.

First - B to the U to the M and the P.

Second, how did no one point this post out to me?:laugh:

Third. The answer to all food questions is............................nuts.

Thanks so much dogmeat. This is going in http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

right now.
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    iwannano just how I missed this too.

Bump - just for me to read again in a month or 2 - and again later.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks you answered a lot of questions for me :smile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    :happy:
  • hollyindallas
    hollyindallas Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Excellent information. Many thanks!
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    :happy:
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Summary

Focus on eating healthier stuff in moderation. Avoid crap on regular basis, but don't place absolute restrictions on yourself. Excercise. LOG EVERYTHING. Be selfish.

I love it. :heart:
  • jmarie9
    jmarie9 Posts: 108
    Options
    bump
  • LifeAfter50
    Options
    bumpity bump
    :drinker:
  • bowbee
    bowbee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    tag for later:flowerforyou:
  • MrsBrosco
    MrsBrosco Posts: 295
    Options
    Love this!
  • pfenixa
    pfenixa Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    First off, more applause for a great post.
    All this being said, absolutes won't work for most people. If you really, really like something, even if it's unhealthy, don't decide to deprive yourself from it for the rest of your life. You'll likely fail anyway, and enough small failures might lead to giving up altogether. Be it beer, doritos, twinkies, mountain dew, whatever - if you really like them, allow yourself to have them, in moderation, and not too often.

I like Panago's Super Cheezy Pizza, Tim Horton's Boston Cream Doughnuts, Diet Dr. Pepper, A&W Root Beer, for example. I generally squeeze my vices in a regular, within calorie goals day, not to a specific "cheat day", but you might want to do differently.

And on the topic of "cheat days", here's my take on them. I believe having one every 7-10 days or so is beneficial. The most important thing about cheat days is that they're NOT cheat days. You're not "cheating" your diet. You're engaging in a deliberate, controlled plan to both keep your metabolism going and giving you a chance to feel less restricted (if this is an issue for you). MARK everything down. This is very, very important. Skipping food diary days tends to lead to higher chances of giving up counting altogether. You want to know what to expect after your cheat day. I prefer to fill up the extra calories of an over day with nuts, you might want to use it to go for stuff you crave.

On cheat days, or "over days", I hit my maintenance level or go SLIGHTLY above it. "Slightly" doesn't mean over by 5000 Calories. Go above no more than you go under on a regular day. If you go above by 3000kcal (it's not very difficult to do, even by accident) on a cheat day every week, and follow 500kcal deficit the other 6 days, your net outcome is +-0.

I really hope that people take this part to heart. In the past when I've tried to lose weight I was stopped by the fact that I didn't want to radically change my diet. I didn't have time to cook everything, nor the skills for that matter. This time I decided I would just modify my diet. I used to eat Taco Bell like once a week, I've had it once in the last month and then I made sure to pick some healthier menu options and not get 3-5 items. And I didn't cut out soda/caffeine cold turkey: I cut down the portions I would normally have, and after awhile it naturally dropped down to none at all.

Don't completely overhaul your diet to a bunch of foods you hate. It makes it that much harder to stick to it.
  • DJH510
    DJH510 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You CAN gain muscle whilst in calorie deficit if you've never done any resistance training before, provided sufficient protein is present of course. you'll very quickly plateau after this, but you will see a gain at first.
  • Laika3
    Laika3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Bump :flowerforyou:
  • Lookgreat
    Options
    BUMP FOR LATER
  • MaybeImNot
    MaybeImNot Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    <3 it
  • californiajuls
    californiajuls Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You make great points. Thanks!
  • hkystar
    hkystar Posts: 1,290 Member
    Options
    Thus my thinking is, if you're trying to lose fat, the best way to do that is with a moderate, sustained cardio heavy schedule. Maybe 4 to 5 days of cardio with 2 to 3 days of weight training, ALWAYS on different days (because the two types of activity mitigate each other's effectiveness). The weight training will activate muscle growth and recovery and bone calcium and potassium replacement (much more important to muscle health than people give it credit for) and as such is important for fat burning, but the cardio is what will really burn the fat.

I have never heard this before. I have read you can do both on the same day/same workout. I am slightly confused right now about this issue. I have time constraints on my workouts. I have 3 days a week and need to do both. Is it wrong to do one and then the other? I usually do strength then cardio.