How to cook greens?

Options
wdamisch
wdamisch Posts: 11 Member
I have been trying to like greens, like collard greens or kale. Does anyone have good recipes how to make them? I would love some help with some ways to make them.

Replies

• Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I blend kale up in smoothies. Or boiled with some garlic salt. Sometimes I'll put a little liquid smoke and garlic salt in with turnip greens.. would probably taste the same with the other greens. Oh and I cut out the big part of the stem.. that can make the whole pot bitter. I just run a knife down the side of the stem.. kinda like shaving it.
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    An easy way to cook fresh spinach is to saute it in some olive oil and minced garlic.
  • hadley1998
    hadley1998 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Go get some smoked turkey butts from your local butcher or grocery store. Place them in a an eight quart pot. Pour about 1 -2 cups of water over them. Slow cook on low them for about 2-3 hours. Slice some onions and garlic and add to pot, cook until tender. Add your finely chooped collard, mustard and kale greens. Turn heat to medium, cook about 30-45 until green are tender. Add a little salt to taste. Enjoy!!:smile:
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I love steamed kale with lemon juice... with carrots, broccoli, and salmon. :)

I also love sauteed kale with a little bit of cayanne pepper and a splash of vinegar at the end of the sautee.
    (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/sauteed-kale-recipe/index.html for example)
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I'm just learning to prepare and like green leafies. Always liked spinach but did not fix it very often. All the others I thought were bitter so I wouldn't eat them....or buy them. Now I am loving red swiss chard and kale. I put either one cut up into vegetable soup. I like chopped up kale wilted in a frypan with a little oil or butter then scramble in some eggs. Spinach works for that too.

I put baby spinach and kale into fruit smoothies. It's an easy way to get a serving of green veggie.

My favorite way with chard is to dice an onion, sautee in some olive oil until tranparent, add chopped chard and a few tablespoons of broth (either chicken or veggie) stir until cooked. Meanwhile drain and rinse a can of white beans. Add them to the pan and heat though. Use as many beans as you like depending on how much chard and how many people you are cooking for.

That's all I've done so far. Hope it helps. I see a definite improvement in my mood and sense of well-being after a week of eating something dark green every day.
  • JessicaBR0
    JessicaBR0 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
  • djordan1969
    Options
    Thanks to everyone. I will definately be trying these. They all sound like good ways to make greens.
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    This is my fav. kale recipe: saute minced garlic and onions with 1/2 Tbsp of olive oil, add chopped Kale, moving it constantly util is soft, add a can of cannellini bean (double rinsed to take some of the salt away), util everything is hot and the kale is soft. on a separate pan "fry"some turkey bacon until crispy, crumble and sprinkle over the kale and cannellini mix. So Good! I sometimes even have it as a meal by itself.
  • wdamisch
    wdamisch Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This helps a lot. I'm going shopping and going to try these ASAP. I appreciate all the helpful suggestions. Maybe I'll start liking eating greens, I hope.Thanks everyone.
  • Divamc
    Divamc Posts: 21
    Options
    I cook my greens in a crock pot. A few very important tips: Cut the stem out, inspect the leaves, after cutting leaves... wash them thoroughly. I simmer my green in low sodium chicken broth with a smoked turkey part. I love vinegar in my greens. Some garlic powder, onion powder, and low sodium lawry's is good. Add a little bit of sugar to eliminate bitterness. One very important thing to remember is : whatever the potlikker (the juice that you simmer the greens in) tastes like, that's what your greens will tastes like. When seasoning, do a little at a time towards the end of cooking and wait 10-15 minutes to taste the greens before further adjusting the taste. I let my greens simmer overnight in my crock. I am famous for my greens. I only like collard, so I can't tell you if this will work for kale. I learned to cook in the south (no offense to yankees...I was born in Boston), so I know my stuff.

If this seems like a lot, just get a can of Glory sensibly seasoned collard greens. They are in the canned vegetable aisle. They are the only canned greens that come close to homemade taste.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Pull the leaves away from the kale stems and toss in a little olive oil and salt (maldon salt is great for crunch). Spread out in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast in a 350 degree over for twenty or thirty minutes, until crispy. Kale chips are a great snack and if you are a person who craves crunchy salty snacks they are just the thing. I serve them to company, everyone loves them.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I like to simmer them in the meat drippings mustard greens, collard, dandelion greens, etc.